Match Grade .22LR Rifle

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGI was looking at a VX-2 6-18x40mm Adj. Obj. Target. Does anyone know if it will focus down to 25yds ?
IIRC, 25 yds. at the bottom end.

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGAny recommendations on optics.

Thanks for the input guys.

They should be shooting iron sights. peep sights.
Both Winchester and Remington have made target rifles.
You should ask the people who are holding the matches.
I started my target shoot with a Winchester 52.
I saw were Savage is making a 22 target rifle.
All the youth rifle groups I have seen are shooting air rifles.

Budget is going to be key to answering this question. How much, really, are you going to spend?

Given the "rules", which don't seem to eliminate much except maybe custom/aftermarket barrels (?), you could spend anywhere from a few hundred to thousands. There are a lot of good suggestions already posted, but they may or may not work depending on budget.

Grouse

Willy1947, I have an old Remington 22 with iron sights that belong to my sons great grandparents that will be used in some of these events.

I ordered a Savage MKII BTVSS from Buds Gun Shop. I will use a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 on it until I decide on a dedicated scope for this rifle.

I've got plenty of bulk ammo to break this rifle in. I ordered some Norma Match and TAC 22 (looking Wolf match) to try after break in. Any other recommendations of ammo to try for accuracy?

Thanks for the input All!

This is similar (prone and bench) to match stick shooting being discussed:

Last edited:
I just shot a .22lr match yesterday at one of the local club/ranges and it was one of the first that I've shot in several years since the Vintage rules have a restriction on ammo price and with the current shortage, low priced 'match' ammo has been non-existent...

Over the years, I have found that Match Rules can vary in both extremes when specific questions are asked...Usually there is Stock class, Modified Stock Class, and Open Class at the least...

This is where the nitty gritty comes in on questions...Factory Stock is usually just that, with the allowance for an optic (and that may be specified as to maximum power).. Modified Stock involves minor enhancements, such as triggers and a change to open sights to peeps, etc...Open is usually "anything goes"...You really need to check the specifics before you get too involved in new acquisitions if you are serious about competing...

While the match yesterday was pretty much open (there were some beautiful customs), I shot my Factory Stock 1937 Walther Sportmodel-V with an old Tasco 8-32x optic and fortunately I had sufficient ammo, matched to the rifle, available to complete the match...I did learn that the barrel much prefers to be 'fouled', rather than clean, as my first sheet of 5 targets was a measly 228-7x of a possible 250 (with a pristine barrel) and my third sheet was a 248-14x of a possible 250 after the barrel got sufficiently fouled...

The middle one is my 22LR, it wears a Mueller 8x32 scope with fine crosshair and target dot. It is quite accurate with Wolf match ammo but if there is the slightest breeze they can be all over the place at 100 yrds. CCI Blazers shoot better outdoors than the Wolf. I was able to shoot a nickel sized group off shooting sticks the other day at 100 yrds but they are few and far between.

OT, Great to have your input on the subject. These are basic matches only for club members. Depending on involvement, the matches could evolve or die so will we (son and I).

AWS, What will the Meuller focus down to (Specs say 10yds)? How clear is the scope on the highest power? Do you see POI shift at different mag ranges ?

The parallax adjustment is sloppy, it doesn't drift but slop is in the knob, you have to turn the knob a little before things change. The tracking has been spot on for me, but I tend to forget it is 1/8" clicks instead of 1/4". It is as clear as my Weaver KT-15 but not as sharp as my Vortex 6.5x20 Viper. For what I use it for it is more than adequate. It does have limited windage and elevation adjustments and I had to shim the back ring to keep the reticle close to center so I could use the full range at 100 yards. I'd NEVER recommend it for long range work with a high power rifle but for the cost, I paid $159. on a pre-introductory sale for it. It works well on my 22LR and I have no plans to change it out.

Addition. I went to the Mueller sight and see the windage and elevation range is 40" now, I believe mine(one of the first sold) is only 20".

Last edited:
i shoot a 541-s for hunting and target. very accurate with eley 10x. many others but pricey, cooper, sako annie. have you been on rimfirecentral??

Savage MKII BTVS 22lr, Weaver tatical rings and a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 x50 (30mm):
Note: The Leupold is off of my 700 .308 and is temporary until I find a suitable replacement.

Made my first trip to the range this morning and had the following struggles:

1. My bench was facing east and the sun was rising(7:30am).
2. Windy conditions (15MPH with gust up to 20MPH).
3. The LOP is 14.25" and I need 12.5" so I was struggling with consistent eye relief (easy fix).
4. The trigger pull is 2.5lbs but felt gritty and heavier (hope it smoothes out with some use or a trigger job will be needed).

I did manage several groups under 3/4" using 36 grain copper plated white box Winchester bulk ammo at 50yds. With tuning and the right ammo, I believe this rifle may be a tack driver, but only time and use will tell.

Here is a 5 shot group (measured .513" outside to outside) :

Update:

After trying various types of ammo from Match, standard and high velocities. Norma Match 22 performed the worst with average groups of 1.34" -1.50". CCI standard velocity and Tac-22 performed the best. Both (if I do my part) are capable of consistant (repeatable) tack driving accuracy. Down below are the average 10 shot groups:

My savage MKII shoots like that with Remington thunderbolts... Wish I could find a few more bricks of them...

Back