Male Coyote with 22mag

Huge coyote good job! It's better not to take a shot and risk educating them if you miss just come back another time and call them in.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660You have to be kidding me. We all know that coyote run at least 100 yards after being hit with anything less than .243....

I hear you. I'm not saying the 22mag is the ideal coyote gun, but if you can only use rimfire or shotgun with BB shot like here it'll get the job done if you know the limitations. I have shot a few with my 22mag and every one has died right on the spot. Wish I could use my AR here though.

Great job on big dog! Glad to see this as I am prepping a 22 mag for some shotgun and rimfire only areas. Anyone kill some yotes with the hornady v-max in 22 mag?

Never used the Hornady v-max but the 45gr critical defense worked well on this one. I also have a few kills with 40gr HP CCI. I think they all work well if used within their limitations. A nice frontal shot or broadside 100 yards and in will do the job. Good shot placement is imperative.

Arkansas WMAs its rimfire only too, and Ive killed a train load of coyotes with my 22 magnums! As a matter of fact Id rather use the 22 Magnum in alot of the spots down here. Woods are so thick down here you would be better off with the 22 magnum! And the CCI Game Points.

Your truck must be a step side with a narrower box?

If I head east of me into the metro area we have to use a .22 or smaller rifle. So I bring a shotgun with buck shot and my .17 hmr

Originally Posted By: BaldknobberSeems strange that in Oklahoma you cant use centerfire rifle. Are you on military base or special use area?

Yes I am hunting on an Army base. Rules are rimfire or shotgun with no larger than BB shot. The WMAs closes to me have the same rules.

Good deal and nice looking song dog. To me, there is something sexy about taking a coyote with a magnum rimfire. I have done it a few times myself with a 40gr CCI HPs. The 22 mag will get it done with the right mind set and self limitations. The "223 rem crowd isn't enough for coyotes" hates to see these rimfire kills. LOL.....

I've shot about a dozen KS coyotes with the 22 mag. I use the 45g Hornady Critical Defense as well. Does an outstanding job on yotes at reasonable ranges. Congrats on a nice Yote!

Last edited:
Back