Magpul PRS for coyote hunting?

roky0702

Is an AR-15 worthy of a PRS? Is the price/features too much or can a .223 shoot far enough that it would be worth it? I really like it but it's so expensive. I was wondering how many people use it for hunting or who would rather stick with a regular cheap adjustable buttstock?

I currently have a Rock River Coyote with the skeleton stock. My scope sits fairly high (not exactly sure, but probably 1.5 to 2") and I DON'T like it-the stock. I WANT a PRS stock basically for the adjustable cheek piece (I'd also like a bit longer LOP).
If your AR is scoped, having a better stock is probably a good option. ALthough I AM writing from a lack of experience - but I want one, too as I don't like my current situation.
I have been shooting a lot in the past 2 weeks and my neck gets sore as I have to basically hold my head up - off the stock in order to see through the scope. If you shoot much, I think it would be worth it.

AR's are definitely accurate enough. I was looking at a PRS to go on a RRA MidLength Predator but I noticed they are a fair amount heavier than a Magpul MOE and I do like a light rifle for calling. If I was going to be primarily shooting off a bench or some other situation where I didn't have to carry it all over creation that's the exact stock I'd get.

Originally Posted By: roky0702Is an AR-15 worthy of a PRS? Is the price/features too much or can a .223 shoot far enough that it would be worth it? I really like it but it's so expensive. I was wondering how many people use it for hunting or who would rather stick with a regular cheap adjustable buttstock?

My vote is YES they most certainly are.

My AR's are as accurate as any rifles I own so sure they are worthy of a PRS.

The PRS is bullet proof--very well made. That said, I never elevated the cheekpiece on my PRS and, yes, they are heavy. (See: very well made.) If weight is any concern for you, look to something other than the PRS. I needed a shorter overall length to fit my AR in an overhead rack in my Toyota so I sold the PRS and bought the ACE SOCOM M4. Also, very well made (designed to breach doors with) but not near as heavy as the PRS. So, I guess I went somewhere between the expensive PRS and a "cheap adjustable" buttstock.

Any of them will make coyotes dead when attached to a decent AR! Good luck with your purchase!

My favorite for hunting is the ACE Skeleton. The PRS is very nice and worth the price but I wouldn't carry it all day if I had to walk like most of my spots.

Here are some weights I took of some standard lowers. The only thing different on all the complete lowers was the type of stock.

A2 fixed lower: 2.6 lbs
Ace lower: 2.2 lbs
Collapsable (factory bushmaster)lower: 2.2 lbs
Magpul PRS lower: 3.4 lbs

Some rifles the PRS compliments very well if the front end is rather heavy. Gives it a good feeling balance.

how far are you cats walking that an extra 1.2 lbs is "too heavy"
The PRS is definitely worth it and how much are you actually logging in foot traffic? we hike a mile or two and then sit for an hour, hike for a half mile and sit for an hour, hike for 3/4 of a mile and sit for an hour.

i guess i've got young legs and my set up is well over 12lbs anyway with another 15-20 worth of gear. trying to save 1 lb on a stock has just never concerned me.

when we/I call, the gun is hanging from double shoulder strap sling, to balance the weight, and when we get where we're going, it sits on a bipod.

I'm curious what my CAA SRS w/ monopod weighs now, but like i said, weight has never been a concern for me, id rather get the functionality i want and condition myself to the rifle.

Originally Posted By: cbass16how far are you cats walking that an extra 1.2 lbs is "too heavy"
The PRS is definitely worth it and how much are you actually logging in foot traffic? we hike a mile or two and then sit for an hour, hike for a half mile and sit for an hour, hike for 3/4 of a mile and sit for an hour.

i guess i've got young legs and my set up is well over 12lbs anyway with another 15-20 worth of gear. trying to save 1 lb on a stock has just never concerned me.

when we/I call, the gun is hanging from double shoulder strap sling, to balance the weight, and when we get where we're going, it sits on a bipod.

I'm curious what my CAA SRS w/ monopod weighs now, but like i said, weight has never been a concern for me, id rather get the functionality i want and condition myself to the rifle.

x2 on the addition of the extra 1lb.

I haven't spent time in the gym since High School; I started building a 100% functional AR and realized I would rather spend a couple hours in the gym each week and build my rifle to perform.

Originally Posted By: BBsteelMy favorite for hunting is the ACE Skeleton. The PRS is very nice and worth the price but I wouldn't carry it all day if I had to walk like most of my spots.

Here are some weights I took of some standard lowers. The only thing different on all the complete lowers was the type of stock.

A2 fixed lower: 2.6 lbs
Ace lower: 2.2 lbs
Collapsable (factory bushmaster)lower: 2.2 lbs
Magpul PRS lower: 3.4 lbs

Some rifles the PRS compliments very well if the front end is rather heavy. Gives it a good feeling balance.

I think the ACE Skeleton is one of my top choices behind the PRS. I'm not a sniper and probably wouldn't need to be adjusting the PRS much anyway. It is very badass but I could use that money to help buy an EOTech or something. I'm not sure yet. With the DPMS Bull 20 the barrel is going to be quite heavy so maybe the PRS will help balance it out. Hopefully I will buy something soon and post pics in the near future!

Last edited:
x2 on the addition of the extra 1lb.

I haven't spent time in the gym since High School; I started building a 100% functional AR and realized I would rather spend a couple hours in the gym each week and build my rifle to perform. [/quote]

I like how you roll
thumbup1.gif
I do work out and all that so I'm not exactly worried about my arms getting sore walking it for miles. Plus i'm in MN so that would rarely happen, I would probably just camp somewhere for a while then move. I can see the benefits to both sides: either making a lightweight one that swings quickly or a hardcore rifle with the PRS and other stuff that will perform. I'll think about it.

I had a PRS on my 18" SPR type build but found it made the rifle too butt heavy. Plus, I never needed to use the cheek riser for proper cheek weld. I sold it and replaced it with a standard A2 stock and couldn't be happier. On a 16" or less carbine I prefer the CTR or ACS stock due to their lighter weight.

I suppose I can understand if you're running with a 16" or pencil barrel, but much more than that and the adjustments are worth having. The carbines just look better with the collapsible stocks. Personally, I'd not use a carbine for dog killin anyway. It doesn't suit our distance needs.

My CAA SRS has adjustments in every direction. While I got it mostly for the built in monopod...the LOP adjustment works wonders when your rifle position changes during seated and prone. AND between winter and summer shooting. The amount of heavy clothes you might wear in the winter makes 2" LOP adjustment very nice.

My CAA SRS has adjustments in every direction. While I got it mostly for the built in monopod...the LOP adjustment works wonders when your rifle position changes during seated and prone. AND between winter and summer shooting. The amount of heavy clothes you might wear in the winter makes 2" LOP adjustment very nice. [/quote]

Holy crap! I just looked that stock up...very nice! too much for me [beeep] money and practicality wise but that is cool looking.

Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceI absolutely love my PRS. I use the lop adjustment and the cheek riser all the time. It's one of the best upgrades I've done to my AR.

Nov08021.jpg

Nov08027.jpg

Your rifle is a Dedicated Technologies right? I think I saw those pics on another post about the camo dip...I like that but I don't know if I would want to fully camo the gun or leave it black? This first rifle I buy will be strictly hunting so maybe I will have to look into it.

Originally Posted By: Jeff MockOriginally Posted By: roky0702Is an AR-15 worthy of a PRS? Is the price/features too much or can a .223 shoot far enough that it would be worth it? I really like it but it's so expensive. I was wondering how many people use it for hunting or who would rather stick with a regular cheap adjustable buttstock?

My vote is YES they most certainly are.

Who's the manufacturer of your rifle?

I am also thinking of replacing the stock on my Olympic AR and I am wondering what you guys think? I have looked at the Magpul adjustable "sniper stock", I like the idea of it but teh price tag is alot. I have read the previous posts and it sounds like a good stock, Id just like a little more feedback. My AR is a carbine version with a bull barrel so it is a little front heavy. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Firearms have two natural enemies....Rust & Politicians

Originally Posted By: roky0702 Your rifle is a Dedicated Technologies right? I think I saw those pics on another post about the camo dip...I like that but I don't know if I would want to fully camo the gun or leave it black? This first rifle I buy will be strictly hunting so maybe I will have to look into it.

Yes, it is a Dtech. It's an OLY K-8 that Mike @ Dtech added a 20" SUM barrel that he fluted and comp'd. The dip is the way to go. You won't ever regret getting it dipped if you take the plunge. LOL
thumbup.gif

Back