Mad Cow Disease in Washington...

NASA, I was unaware that scientists had been able to reliably connect vCJD with mad cow disease, even in England. Do you have a link or other reference to a source that I could read up on? I'm quite curious about the spongiforms and the development of vCJD in humans, so would appreciate a good read. Thanks.

Originally posted by NASA:
[qb]LD, those weren't MY investigators, LOL. That was the U.S. Food & Drug Admin. doing the investigating.[/qb]
Is there a difference? Your govt. is going to protect you alright...always does. We didn't start yelling "but, but, that cow came from the u.s. did we?" You guys didn't even know about that. You can bet that the whole world is going to know where this cow came from. Even though it won't make a lick of difference as so many of our cows are in your country and vice versa! Its irrelevant where it came from the risk in both countries is exactly the same. Your govt. will likely point the finner as part of a way to lesson the economic impact your facing so as we get penalized economically again(my prediction). What we should be doing is coming together, not pointing fingers and recognizing that our cows are all over the place. We could fight it better as one. I'm being defensive because i suspect the u.s. is going to do whatever it takes to lesson the blow of this thing. This will prolly include the exploiting of where the cow came from. Maybe i'm a little jealous, maybe i wish my country would have the backbone to do just that...you know...fight dirty. But nope, we were all polite like...like usual and just let it slide that our cow came from your side of the border and just sucked it up and dealt with it. We also sucked it up and dealt with the u.s. extended ban on our meat...play nice...see, jealousy it is. Lets see how nice the u.s. plays, lets see how Canada will suck up any guff you guys throw our way...my bet is...all of it....like usual. As i said before, your not in bad shape and us Canadians are going to find this very interesting to watch. We will find it very interesting to see how the 'big dog' deals with this situation.

LD(who will sing a different tune should things play out different than i expect)

LD, I sincerely hope you get the opportunity to sing a little tune. Like you said, there's no advantage or usefulness in focusing on country of origin, other than for forensic examination of the facility(s).

Our Govt's need to improve the Quality Assurance Processes by which cattle and meat are inspected.

Shakers and downers should never, ever be allowed to come in contact with cattle intended for human consumption.

Shakers and downers should never, ever be permitted for human consumption, or processed on the same line as meat processed for human consumption.

Animal by-products as cattle feed should be banned. The world seems to be ignoring the fact that this was a discarded dairy cow, not a beef cow.

If our Govt's could mutually agree upon these 3 simple policy changes, it would be a major step in making MCD a truly "rare" occurance.

Thanks NASA, that's just the information I was looking for. I know there have been theories that CWD can also cause vCJD. I'll have to do some more searching around for information on that.

Ya know reading these posts it occurs to me very few are about "mad cows" seems most are about a "green eyed monster".
The USA is very successful and wealthy so apparently the places that aren't, blame us again.
Oh well it is easier to cast blame than do something to change your position.
When Japan took over the auto business the world said, "look how hard they work and the discipline"
"they are sooo smart"
When the USA does anything its cause we got it easy or we cheated.
I have one thing to say, Waaaaa waaaaaa, and when you are done crying, get off your butt and change it.
Canada has all the natural resources any country does, she has to choose how to use them and do so.
Then live with the choice.
Carl

Geez, now I feel like an idiot. I started this whole thing about he said...no it was you guys, now wait a minute, etc. What started out as some good natured poking and proding is on the verge of turning into a mudsling festival! I sincerely apologize for that! What's important here folks is that its OUR problem; a North American problem, and we need to focus on a joint solution. Secondly, lets stop feeding meat to herbivores. They're called herbivores because they don't eat meat. Its not rocket science. Once again, I sincerely apologize for stirring up the pot.

erie-guy this is a good thread. It helps clear the air. It helps all of us "get on the same page" so to speak. If we don't sit down and discuss misunderstandings, we'll never be able to agree on anything.

Hopefully, these Forums do more to bring us together and dispell rumors than the "media agenda" is doing.

Back