Lots of ? on 22 Hornet

My Hornet likes Lil-Gun powder, CCI #500 small pistol primers with 35 gr Hornady V-Max's or Sierra 40 gr hollow points in Rem cases.

For a load, you need to start with Lilgun and small pistol primers. Hodgdon says you can get about 200 more fps with it and have about 25% lower pressures. This is good!

Lower pressures make the brass last a long time, and higher fps speaks for itself.

I shoot a Ruger M77 sporter (20" barrel) and the coyote load is 13.0gr Lilgun (it's all I can fit in Win cases), a 45gr Barnes XLC and small pistol primers. Velocity is right at 2,900fps and accuracy is MOA.

With bullets lighter than 45gr and using Lilgun powder, I have noticed very wide velocity swings (SD's). In general, the heavier the bullet the lower the SD.

When you start to load for it, keep in mind that small changes (like .2gr of powder), can make a huge difference in this small case. In my Hornet, using the 45gr Barnes XLC, 12.0-12.6grs of Lilgun shot about 1 1/2" groups; 12.8 and 13.0grs went MOA.

I'll I have to say is my CZ 527 22 Hornet is a tackdriver. I only shoot factory ammo as well. Mostly 35gr Hornady V-Max or 45gr Remington PSP's.
PA250256.jpg

What do you guys that hunt coyotes with the hornet feel is the solid range of the round? And barrel length that would be good for the round?
I like the rotary clip in the Ruger 77 but would like to get one and have the barrel cut down.

Personally I think that is way to much scope power and size for a little hornet. I'd highly recommend a 3-9x40 Fullfield II instead of that monster. (I have one of each)

Back