Looking for new scope for new rifle. Assistance?

benson821

Alright i'm soon getting a Savage Model 12FLV.

The rifle is going to be a truck gun, coyote calling rifle, and all around plinking rifle.

The max range I will knowingly shoot it 600yrds.
I would like a variable power scope with preferably a mildot and/or target turrets on it, but they are not needed.

The scopes i'm looking at are the:
Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 mildot from Midwayusa.
Simmons Predator Quest Scope 4.5-18
Bushnell Elite 3200 10x (maybe)

Any comments or reviews on any of these scopes, or any other suggestions? My budget is around $300.

If you have pics of you predator rigs with the scope you suggest show em off.

Thanks in advance for the help,
benson821

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: YoungGun92http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?pr...1-_-weaverScope

Probably one of the best deals for the money. Snipers-hide did a review on them and they seem to be a solid scope for the money.

I just checked out that scope and it seems good but I am confused on how the mil/mil works. how does the reticle transfer over to the turrets? how do you use it to adjust at differnt ranges? (this is showing my inexperience with mil i have used moa thus far)

How about a Center Point?

Originally Posted By: benson821I have the Center Point 4-16 on my 22lr, and it works GREAT!

I sighted it in at 50 yards. I placed a regular filled water bottle out at 200 yards and had the crazy idea of shooting at it and see if it will hit. I used my iSnipe app on my ipod and figure how many clicks to bring it up and how many clicks to compensate for wind.
Long story short, first shot after adjusting the turrets hit the bottle just below center (where i was aiming) it was about half inch low. it popped up and landed down again, this time i aimed at the cap and launched the round down range and the bottle bounced up and rolled off the burm.

All in all the scope works great for me, i have yet to go out hunting with it since the snow had just finally melted away.

Benson, just run any ballistics program and calculate bullet trajectory in mils. It'll look something like this--475 yds.= 1.8 mil compensation. So either adjust up 1.8 mil on the turret (once it's zeroed) and aim center with center x-hair, or come down 1 .1 mil click and aim at the top of the 2nd dot down (1.9 mil reticle units), or 2 .1 mil clicks down and aim at the center of the 2nd dot down (2.0 mils down).

Thing start to get a little trickier when the true trajectory doesn't match the ballistic profile. Then you need to start measuring mil error at each range and recalcing the profile by adjusting mv and bullet BC....or just shoot all your mil dope.

sscoyote pretty much has it. Once you figure out the needed drop compensation at any given range you can fully utilize the mildot reticle to save ALOT of knob cranking and time. Examples: If you need to compensate 2.3 mils of drop: dial 3 .1 mil clicks up and aim with the 2nd dot. If you need 3.5 mils: 3rd dot plus 5 .1 mil clicks, and so on and so forth. The same method can also be applied for windage using the dots going along the horizontal line of the crosshair. From what I can gather, it is a huge time saver if learned correctly.

Last edited:
I see. So that is basically what i was doing except now i'm just using differnt variables. Instead of aiming in on 300 and knowing my drop is 3.8in and going to 3.75moa on the turret.
But with this mil/mil scope i do the same but have by ballistics in mils. i dial up and if i'm off use the mils in the scope to measure how much to bring it to center??

Originally Posted By: YoungGun92sscoyote pretty much has it. Once you figure out the needed drop compensation at any given range you can fully utilize the mildot reticle to save ALOT of knob cranking and time. Examples: If you need to compensate 23 mils of drop: dial 3 mils up and aim with the 2nd dot. If you need 35 mils: 3rd dot plus 5 mils, and so on and so forth. The same method can also be applied for windage using the dots going along the horizontal line of the crosshair. From what I can gather, it is a huge time saver if learned correctly.

YG, are u sure the mils are adding up properly here? 23 mils of drop is 83" per hundred yds. If u dial 3 mils up and then use the 2nd dot down (@ 10x) that's 5 mils elevation change only, or 18" up per hundred yds.

Originally Posted By: sscoyoteBenson, if your drop is 3.8" @ 300 yds. then that's ~1.2 MOA. If u go up 3.75 MOA on the turret that would be ~ 11.8" at 300.

What I was trying to say is i would look at my ballistic program it would say i'm 3.8in low at 300 and i would look either at how many click to dial in the scope or how much moa to dial in. Those numbers I put in were just example and not real life numbers.

But would a mil/mil scope be better for me to have for coyote hunting and plinking or mil/moa? or does it not really matter unless i'm doing long range tactical shooting?

Originally Posted By: sscoyoteOriginally Posted By: YoungGun92sscoyote pretty much has it. Once you figure out the needed drop compensation at any given range you can fully utilize the mildot reticle to save ALOT of knob cranking and time. Examples: If you need to compensate 23 mils of drop: dial 3 mils up and aim with the 2nd dot. If you need 35 mils: 3rd dot plus 5 mils, and so on and so forth. The same method can also be applied for windage using the dots going along the horizontal line of the crosshair. From what I can gather, it is a huge time saver if learned correctly.

YG, are u sure the mils are adding up properly here? 23 mils of drop is 83" per hundred yds. If u dial 3 mils up and then use the 2nd dot down (@ 10x) that's 5 mils elevation change only, or 18" up per hundred yds.

Yeah I screwed up there. I meant to type that in .10 mils. I will correct my org. post as to not throw folks off. Thanks for catching that.

Originally Posted By: benson821Originally Posted By: sscoyoteBenson, if your drop is 3.8" @ 300 yds. then that's ~1.2 MOA. If u go up 3.75 MOA on the turret that would be ~ 11.8" at 300.

What I was trying to say is i would look at my ballistic program it would say i'm 3.8in low at 300 and i would look either at how many click to dial in the scope or how much moa to dial in. Those numbers I put in were just example and not real life numbers.

But would a mil/mil scope be better for me to have for coyote hunting and plinking or mil/moa? or does it not really matter unless i'm doing long range tactical shooting?

U don't even need to for long range tactical shooting, although it probably helps a bit. It is easier to apply if you want to use either system. Then u only need 1 set of dope for either application. I only have a couple optics that have matching turret and reticle. Most of mine are ballistic-style reticles whose subtensions are uneven or mil reticles with SMOA turrets. Mostly for coyotes i use ballistic reticles, since it's faster for me to apply them, and i like a more direct system of windage reference.

Recently these days, most of the long range shots that are presented to us are quick shots where the animal is alerted--usually while walking to and from a glassing spot. And i'm usually the spotter since i have the laser in my binoc., and my buddies are asking for the range as they're assuming the position for the shot. It just naturally works that way. But i still get some shots. Between these last 2 seasons we made 15 1st shot coyote/badger kills beyond 300 yds. I had 5 of them. My buddies had the rest. I use an AR mostly and it now has the old 4-12x Bushnell 3200 Ballistic Reticle.

Would you guys suggest a scope with adjustable turrets and mildot reticle for coyote hunting which could have shots going out to a MAX of 600 yards. I don't plan on shooting out that far but I would like to know that I have a good chance to drop the dog at that range. Or would you suggest a regular reticle and scope and just learn my ballistics and my rifle????

I thought about getting a BDC reticle, but didn't know what to think of them.

I took a look at the Nikon Coyote Special scope and it seemed like it would be a good scope for coyote hunting, but for all around plinking it seems like it would be difficult.

What's your guys thoughts on the Nikon Coyote Special?

Last edited:
I have 2 of the PFI scopes and love them. Benson, there is a learning curve that u should go through for applying any multi-stadia reticle to it's fullest advantage. I use them mostly on my coyote rigs. But none of them are set up for even hundred yd. intervals. I calculate the zeros (subtension vs. trajectory), troubleshoot if necessary (90% of the time), recalc. in 50-yd. intervals, put the dope in a Butler Creek scope cap cover and go hunting.

Here's a couple primers on applying reticles for long range shooting and rangefinding--

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/Reticle_Ranging___App.pdf

and here--

http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Shared/Opti...lex-Reticle.pdf

Here is an example of the system i've developed for a Sav. Striker 22-250 Nikon 2.5-8x Encore scope/reticle--

IMG_1156.jpg

Reticles_BDC_Encore-1.jpg

Last edited:
Alright I'm somewhat reconsidering my options. I like the Super Sniper but I think 10x is possibly too much power for those closer range shots. What about the 6x?

The scopes I have been looking hard at are the:
Buckmaster 6-18 Mildot
Millet Buck Gold 4-16x56 mildot
Super Sniper 6x
Simmons Predator Quest (i would put tape on my zero mark on turret and use that as a makeshift adjustable turret)
Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10 mil/mil scope.

Any Reviews or Comments or pictures on these scopes?
my budget is around $300.

Subscribing to thread.

Im curious on that Weaver Tactical Grand slam scope. I was looking at a Buckmasters 6-18 with mil dots as well but then decided on the 4.5-14 but im still not sure.

It would be fun to learn how to use the Mil/Mil scope but the one thing im nervous about with them is if the turrets will turn when hunting? maybe your coat rubs against them and they turn on their own?

Back