Looking for double duty rifle? Coyote/Hog gun. Any suggestions?

Wow, what a lot of different opinions.
I am not sure how big your hogs are. Here are some other options:

7mm-08
.257 Roberts (a half step down from a .25-06)
7x57mm Mauser

The latter two share the same case and are usually not loaded too hot from the factory. The 7mm-08 runs the short .308 case capacity. They will be good out to 300, not sure how good at 400 on a hog. The .270 will reach, and with a good 140 grain bullet should provide a decent smack on hogs, flat trajectory, good wind-bucking, and blow the snot, heart, lungs, liver, and attitude out of any coyote it hits.

What's nice about the .270 (and .308/.25-06/.260/7mm-08) is that it is not a magnum, does not belt your fillings out, is cheaper to get ammo (or reload) for than a mag, and is found everywhere. Means lots of good practice without developing a bad twitch or going into debt. Only bad thing about the .270 is the bullet selection is not as good as a 7mm or .30. But, there is a 110 V-Max and a slew of good game bullets including Barnes X Triple shock, Nosler Partition, etc.

Oh yeah, I like my .270...

I agree with Tom64's statement. If I had to pick one to meet the given criteria,, I guess I too would go with the 25-06. I'm not a hog hunter, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think it would be that hard to get much closer to one for the shot. If possible, a 243 with a good bullet would do fine, I would think. And do less damage to the coyote pelts in the process. Again, I'm not a hog hunter--2MG

Being an Oregon boy I am a little naive on my hog facts. What's an average boar weigh, and how close can you get to them? It seems like any caliber effective on large deer should be able to handle coyotes at distance and hogs under 200 yards. Educate me you hog killers!

I would like to welcome all the new members on here.

The 25-06 would get my vote for its predator capability as well as hogs. This is kinda of a tough question as something that will take hogs at the ranges you are talking about would not be my idea of a predator rifle. I would also take in consideration a Steyr SBS in .308. 110gr Tap loads for predators and anything larger for the hogs would have no problem at 3 or 400 yards.

The chances of making a high percentage shot on a hog at 400 are between slim and none. The only way you will see the hog is if it is moving. If it is moving, it will not stand still long enough for you to range it, figure bullet drop and windage, get into a solid rest, recheck the wind and shoot.

You don't need a rifle to shoot hogs at 400 yards since the chances of you getting a decent shot at one at that range are approaching lottery odds.

Jack

Quote:
The chances of making a high percentage shot on a hog at 400 are between slim and none. The only way you will see the hog is if it is moving. If it is moving, it will not stand still long enough for you to range it, figure bullet drop and windage, get into a solid rest, recheck the wind and shoot.

You don't need a rifle to shoot hogs at 400 yards since the chances of you getting a decent shot at one at that range are approaching lottery odds.

Jack

here's where the AR comes in. quickly range,check ballistics and shoot...if miss then quickly correct by a follow up shot....you'll have better luck with an semiauto rifle loaded with more than 5rds.

Quote:
Well, if you like nice, a Lazzeroni in 7.82 Warbird loaded with some of the bonded cores or TSXes will have the put-down thump at 400 yards for a hog or a coyote, or most anything else you'll find in North America. With a 6 inch 400 yard and 16 inch 500 yard drop off a 300 yard zero, it shoots pretty flat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Edit to add: The Warbird has the same downrange punch (energy) at 400 yards as the .30-06 has at the muzzle, about 2,830 ft/lbs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the cost of ammo for the warbirds are rediculous. for that I would rather use a .50bmg and is capable wayy past 1k yds. pigs and yotes aren't worth $5+ a round.

M98--why would the capacity of your magazine improve your odds of hitting your target? If it takes you 5 rounds or more to hit it, you shouldn't have been shooting at it in the first place IMHO. I do not like the "spray and pray" overtones I'm getting here. You don't range something by throwing lead at it. This is how game gets wounded and lost. If you are not 100% sure of your ability to hit an animal at a given range, move closer until you are. Disciplined hunters rarely need a second shot, but might, but certainly not 3, 4, 5, or more. "Luck" has nothing to do with it. If you need luck to hit your target, go back to the practice range--2MG

Heres a pic of my long range rig, in one of the calibers mentioned above, 7STW, it started life as a 7 rem mag, but was rechambered, bedded, wearing a nightforce 5.5 X 22 NXS, with nightforce tilted bases, and a jewel trigger, it also has a drop chart on a piece of tape on the other side of the stock, If you know the range, and do your part, there is no trouble with one shot kills. This is truly one of thos truck guns, too darn heavy to be packing around !! LOL
STW.jpg

Quote:
Heres a pic of my long range rig, in one of the calibers mentioned above, 7STW, it started life as a 7 rem mag, but was rechambered, bedded, wearing a nightforce 5.5 X 22 NXS, with nightforce tilted bases, and a jewel trigger, it also has a drop chart on a piece of tape on the other side of the stock,...

All I can say is I am jealous. I don't believe it is a shooter. Why don't you send it to me and I will make sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Quote:
M98--why would the capacity of your magazine improve your odds of hitting your target? If it takes you 5 rounds or more to hit it, you shouldn't have been shooting at it in the first place IMHO. I do not like the "spray and pray" overtones I'm getting here. You don't range something by throwing lead at it. This is how game gets wounded and lost. If you are not 100% sure of your ability to hit an animal at a given range, move closer until you are. Disciplined hunters rarely need a second shot, but might, but certainly not 3, 4, 5, or more. "Luck" has nothing to do with it. If you need luck to hit your target, go back to the practice range--2MG

I was referring to the strategy used in smacking ground hogs. I'm not talking about dumping the mag out in 2seconds. for example with pigs they tend to move a lot. so odds are the first shot from 400yds away would less likely spook em'. I don't know much about nailing pigs at that range but I do know that shooting bucks at 400yds+ many the times the buck would just stand there for a few seconds pondering what's going on then slowly trot off. of the 4 times I've seen bucks shot at 400+, 3 of them got away(untouched). it was my buddies that took the shot. I had one chance to take a 475yd shot and bagged a 4x5. Long range shots in the areas that I hunt are almost in non existance. so in other words what I'm trying to get to is if the target is there and moving slowly and you know that only a few seconds is available then quickly do the math and put out the shot and correct if needed or have the chance for another shot. the topic starter also did mention about using atv's so if a game is wounded, then track it. "Remember if you wound it then find it-if too lazy to do so then just stay home, huntin is sport". back in the days indians did'nt have guns...most of there huntings is tracking wounded animals-it's another skill required for hunting.

If you have to fire a couple of ranging shots you shouldn't be shooting at it period. 400 yards is a long way to shoot anything and to try to do it in a hunting situation, without being sandbagged in, would be pure luck mostly bad because if you missed the whole deer or hog how could you hit the vitals?

Most hog hunters I know kill them at close range with ordinary guns like a 30-30, most coyotes are killed with guns like a 22-250 designed to shoot frangible bullets fast. Yes there are some crossover guns but like my original post, you're pushing the limits of either.

My vote would be for a 243 or 308. The wide selection of rifles available in these calibers is about as numerous as the stars. Savage, Rugers and NEF would be my first choices. (2 cents' worth)

M98--I fail to see how an Indian shooting something with a sharp rock attached to a stick at close range in any way relates to you or your buddies completely missing or wounding an animal at 400+ yds with a modern centerfire rifle. If you are disciplined and skilled, wounding something shouldn't even enter your mind, nor should tracking. I have lost deer bowhunting before with what I thought at the time to be well placed shots, but never with a rifle. I find the two similar in no way however. You clearly stated that someone would have more "luck" with a semi-auto rifle with more rounds. If these rounds are not for shooting, then what are they for. Personally, I do not feel any more confident, or change my hunting strategy , while using a single shot or semi-auto rifle(which I don't ever hunt with anyway). Maybe you'll listen to Tom's advice if you won't listen to mine. I'm out--2MG

Quote:

Jack

welllll,,,,actually...they tend to root in one spot for a while then move, and if you see them before they see you...they pretty much stay in a pretty small area and root for a while.

I think my vote is going to have to go to something more than a .25-06 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif(I post here off and on, and am a die hard.25-06 fan)....270ish looks like the way I'd go...
less than .300 Mags though...

Hmm...Maybe I ought to change my name...I don't think jack oconnor is using it at the moment...

Back