Looking for a decoy dog

Originally Posted By: gonzagaH"maybe if we can meet up and you can hunt with Tug

gonzaga

holer, If you can get there I would sure take the man up on this offer.
thumbup1.gif

I hope when we enter our "SnowBird Phase" I can get that kind of an opportunity for some SW winter action.

Let me find out what the regulations on an out of stater hunting coyotes up there. I can buy a license or just take the dog and let you shoot the coyotes. Do you have some land that you hunt, or do you hunt alot of public land?

There are some jacked up regs on hunting public land down here, since the coyote(in NM) is a non game species you must have the Public land grazing lesee's permission to hunt them on public land. I hunt some private land until the snow gets too deep.

I will try and get this done this weekend, I have to run over to Trinidad this weekend for my sons football game.

Shoot me a PM with your info, k.

I may get beat up agian on this but here goes. ......
This forum may influance you to go cur but keep an open mind, there are many different dogs that may be used as decoy dogs, it doesn't have to be a cur.
The best decoy dog I have ever seen or owned was a Border Collie....think about it the dog was bred to bring back animals.
Same with bird dogs, they were bred to bring back birds, is it so different to bring back a coyote.
In the first doggin coyotes video he used a short hair and a Airdale/ Beagle cross, I believe. And those dogs did a better job than the curs in his second video.
Curs can do it and there are some pretty fine decoy dogs that are cur. Just saying , keep a open mind and get what suits you.
Curs
Birddogs
Hounds
Terriers
Mutts
Pits
Hearding dogs
You can find good in any of them if you want to. You have to feed it so you be happy with it.

gonzaga, go to bed man you have to work tomorrow. Don't want you getting in a wreck. I have a package coming from NM (Roasted Chillies) and I want to get it. lol See ya Buddy.

Originally Posted By: Devin69I may get beat up agian on this but here goes. ......
This forum may influance you to go cur but keep an open mind, there are many different dogs that may be used as decoy dogs, it doesn't have to be a cur.
The best decoy dog I have ever seen or owned was a Border Collie....think about it the dog was bred to bring back animals.
Same with bird dogs, they were bred to bring back birds, is it so different to bring back a coyote.
In the first doggin coyotes video he used a short hair and a Airdale/ Beagle cross, I believe. And those dogs did a better job than the curs in his second video.
Curs can do it and there are some pretty fine decoy dogs that are cur. Just saying , keep a open mind and get what suits you.
Curs
Birddogs
Hounds
Terriers
Mutts
Pits
Hearding dogs
You can find good in any of them if you want to. You have to feed it so you be happy with it.

We use an Australian Cattle dog She is getting better on stand the more we go. She is headstrong stubborn at times and to smart for her own good. But you cant ask for a more loyal dog. rp
5780100284_d028afcbfe.jpg

Hoier, are you looking for a pup, or older dog?
I know of a very reputable ADC man who has a DYNOMITE adult dog for sale. That dog has been on untold numbers of coyotes & would be a 'turn key' situation, cause this dog is all that & a bag of chips! Border collie cross...

Originally Posted By: knockemdownHoier, are you looking for a pup, or older dog?
I know of a very reputable ADC man who has a DYNOMITE adult dog for sale. That dog has been on untold numbers of coyotes & would be a 'turn key' situation, cause this dog is all that & a bag of chips! Border collie cross...

I cant believe that dog is still for sale. I figured he had already sold. I aint heard nothing but good things about that dog.

Last edited:
Holer I have a pup out of Tony Tebbe's Gunner and Mattie cross and he is really starting to turn it on quite well. He is good with people and kids I have a 12 month old boy and he won't let him out of his sight and I don't have any worries when I have them together. Tony is a good guy and would set you straight and he seems to always have pups. Good luck with your decision lots of good dogs and handlers out there to choose from.

Boy this is like information overload!
crazy.gif

Thanks for all the help though guys. I'm thinking I like what Terry and Duane have but have no idea where to go from here.

Training and what pup to get. I think I like Duane's pups. That Buck looks like a total stud. Did you get yours started or did you train him yourself?

Hoier... Don't let Devin discourage you, what you want in a decoy dog and what he wants in one will most likely be totally different.

If you want a good decoy dog to go kill Coyotes over now, do not get a pup. You have never trained one and it is a long row to hoe. I would suggest buying a started or trained decoy dog that has been there and done that. That's the quickest way to success.

If you are looking to train a decoy dog of your own and want to raise a pup, I would look for a Striker bred Mountain Cur, from someone that uses their dogs for decoying Coyotes.

I personally, would stay away from Catahoulas and Blackmouths as they are more of a find and bay bred type of Dog. The Striker bred Kemmer dogs are used by more ADC men than any other breed and for good reason, they're bred for the job.

Whatever breed you choose will require lots and lots of Coyotes called in, once the dog is of age to work and only then will you find out if your new friend has what it takes to be a decoy dog.

Contact Dasher on this board if you decide to raise a pup. He should have a litter soon that should be rather handler friendly when it comes to training a pup to decoy, as the whole family has been bred for such.

Best of luck and just make sure you keep your dog safe and you have fun!

Take care.

Alot of info to take in, but catdawg has made some really good points. It does take awhile for the pup to figure the game out, but the more fur you put in front of him the better he will be.

Buying a proven started dog will alleviate some headaches, but that being said, I dont ever regret getting a pup and training him. We bonded, both him and my kids and even my wife and she ain't no dog lover....lol.

I will give you a call and we can get hooked up and make a few stands.

Back