Looking for a 223 load that won't explode a Bobcat

My 1.5 cents is you may consider 55gr SP. My most recent couple cats were bang flops no exit wound or blood for that matter. In fact I just picked up two completed rugs for my man room last month. Approx range under 40 yards (20 inch 1X8 twist)

P1000125b.jpg

Here's one from Jan 07

I like the Ultramax ammo that is loaded with a 50 or a 52 grain Speer TNT slug. The ammo shoots at 3100fps which isn't grease lighting, but still sufficient for a 223. I have found on all of the coyotes that I have shot or seen shot with this round is that the bullet like the name says detonates on impact. Therefore it never leaves the other side. A pin hole going in and nothing but stew on the insides. I would assume that this would be the same on cats. Also there is a new load out by barnes that is called a Varmint grenade that will do the same thing.

The more I read about Sleddog the more I like him,excellent photo by the way 'dog.As far as the Blue dot load is concerned, James Calhoon's fine shootin' bullets website has an articles section with recipes' for several diferent loads for the .223, one is with Blue-Dot.I am wanting someone with lots of loading experience to try some Blue-Dot in the .17 Remington Fireball for a low-pressure 2000+-fps load.

missedshot,
Do not think that blue Dot loads are reduced pressure. They generally are full pressure loads, they just don't hold the high pressure as long because the powder burns fast. You also need to be extremely carefull not to double charge a shell.

Jack

Displayed name,

I was surprised too, but on a pretty good sized squirrel, out of a 16 inch AR, 114 yards, the 40 gr. V-max Black HIlls ammo did not exit. Maybe a freak occurence. . . but I think it's pretty indicative of the load

Bake

i would say a soft point. any of the polymer tipped bullets would work fine. the only thing about the polymer tips is that if you hit bone it can be ugly. the sp would probably exit, but not a big exit i wouldn't think. cats are pretty thin skinned so any type of bullet could possibly be ugly. but as long as you stay away from the shoulder you should be fine w/ a soft point

Jack Roberts, yes sir, you are correct about Blue-Dot being a full pressure load, thanks, sorry for my mistake.I hope my other information was helpfull regarding Mr. Calhoun's website though.

Back