Limited budget thermal scope?

weekender

Are those words like oil and water or is there something out there that a "normal" guy can kill coyotes with up to 200 yds?

If at all possible see if you can find someone with a thermal scope who will let you look through it before you buy one. I don't have a thermal scope. I have a FLIR PS32 for scanning and a dedicated gen 3 NV scope for ID/killing.
Some guys will tell you that they can ID an animal with thermal. I will tell you that I ABSOLUTELY cannot positively ID ANY animal with my thermal at 200 yards. Or 100 yards for that matter. I can tell that it is an animal, and even it's approximate size and I can even BS you and say that I know it's a coyote/fox by the way that it moves, but the truth is that you won't know for sure what it is until you pull the trigger and put a light on it after it's dead.
Maybe if your only target was hogs, at close range, you might be ok, I don't know about that.
Personally I would not pull the trigger on ANY target based on the thermal image alone from my experience with a 320 core unit.
Maybe a $10000.00 plus unit might give better results, but I get the impression from your question that your budget won't allow that.
If I were you I would be looking more at NV than thermal.

Last edited:
I would say my budget is less than $2000.00. Thanks for the replies so far. Right now I have homemade NV and it does OK out to about 150-200 yds. but it is much better suited for a bait site than run and gun just because it's bulky on the gun.

I concur with trkyhntr. That's what I think and how I hunt. I use a pulsar hd19a to scan and have gen 3 and gen 2+ scopes to hunt with. You can get a really good gen2+ scope which is a Nemesis. Very good and less than half the price of a gen 3 scope. Call Hightechredneck and talk to Kevin. He has some of the best prices on scopes. There is even a gen 1+ scope he speeks highly of and is cheaper yet. He's had a difficult time getting the pulsars but Midway is having a sale on them and I know of one you can get for a little less than that one now. I can affirm that you ID that something is a canine but what species I have to ID through the scope. Don't have any experience with the higher dollar thermals but I have seen video of 6 to 8 thousand dollar ones and it still is an image that makes 100% ID difficult. You pretty much are assured its a yote by how you are hunting and its actions and your experience but still is an image. Hope this helps.

Try HTRN for a Gen 2+

Was out friday night and had a group of coyotes in the woods across the field getting vocal and after about 10 minutes here come two dogs running in to the call. That right TWO dogs not coyotes. It would have been very difficult to tell apart with a cheap Thermo.

Just throwing in my .02.

I recently bought a Armasight Zeus, 3x power thermal unit. Paid $3500. I have zero problem identifying a species of animal at 3-500 yards with it, depending on the condition. Telling a coyote from a deer is easy, telling a coyote from another dog, would be more of a challenge, but I have done that as well (called in a German Sheppard one night).

Coyote from another dog would be your biggest challenge, but even then, its pretty easy to know the size of a yote, and their distinct run / jog, and how they react.

I was just down in Texas hog hunting, and we didn't have any problems identifying jack rabbits, yotes, calves, from hundreds of yards away.

Originally Posted By: BocephussJust throwing in my .02.

I recently bought a Armasight Zeus, 3x power thermal unit. Paid $3500. I have zero problem identifying a species of animal at 3-500 yards with it, depending on the condition. Telling a coyote from a deer is easy, telling a coyote from another dog, would be more of a challenge, but I have done that as well (called in a German Sheppard one night).

Coyote from another dog would be your biggest challenge, but even then, its pretty easy to know the size of a yote, and their distinct run / jog, and how they react.

I was just down in Texas hog hunting, and we didn't have any problems identifying jack rabbits, yotes, calves, from hundreds of yards away.

Do yourself a favor and try one for yourself, or get an opinion from a verified member, before you rely on this information.
I call BS on positively Id'ing ANYTHING at 300-500 yards with that scope.

Originally Posted By: BocephussJust throwing in my .02.

I would like to see this first hand. I have SEVERAL 16-20 thousand dollar L3, FLIR AND an OASYS Mil-Spec gear that beats down ANY Russian made gear and I'm sorry I still cannot POSITIVE ID animals such as you pointed out to 500 yards. Not even close.

I know an Armasight PAID Staffer who also makes wild claims about PID on all his Russian gear too. Next I will hear how our Military uses this Russian stuff...
crazy.gif

wow - not trying to start a war here. Just sharing my experience. If I knew how to post videos Here, I would show you one I filmed at 200 yards. I will try and film some out at those distances and let you guys make your own call.

And Victor you are correct - I would not have been able to ID a German Sheppard from a yote at 500 yards. If my statement came across that way, I apologize. But I can tell you at 150-200 yards, I knew something wasn't right, and it wasn't a coyote that was coming in.

1trk - you seem angry???? Just because you unit doesn't allow you to identify at 100 yards, isn't the industry standard. I can tell you I was just hunting down in Texas and my guide had a hand held FLIR unit that he used for scanning. His unit wouldn't even pick up heat signatures of the jack rabbits I could identify.

I will gladly post videos to verify my so called "BS". My unit will also pick up field mice (yes field mice). I watch them run around all the time. Maybe our disconnect is around each of our own thoughts on "positively identifying" the target. [beeep] if have a strong enough heat source, my unti will pick it up from Miles and Miles away (not an animal). From one of my stands, I can see, and watch the power plant from 6-7 miles away, its pretty cool.

Last edited:
Hows that? Only thing I clarified was not being able to distinguish between a yote and another dog at 500 yards. In my original post, I even state that would be a challenge.

Your first post here was on 01/13/16 and you stated that you have never hunted coyotes and were looking for advice. That's fine and you were welcomed to the forum. In your subsequent posts you state that you've not even killed a coyote yet. Now less than 2 months later you're able to tell the difference between a dog and a coyote by the way it moves?
And positively ID animals out to 500 yards with a thermal?
Yes I called BS, sorry to hurt your feelings but I stand by my statement based on my years, not weeks, of actual hunting experience. Feel free check out my profile and view my posts.
You'll see that I have killed a coyote or two with photos to back it up.

Last edited:
No feelings hurt here, just don't understand the hostility.

You are correct, I only have a few weeks of coyote hunting, but not to hunting buddy. New to thermal as well, by no means an expert like you.But just because I started hunting coyotes this year, doesn't mean I can't ID one, that's the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. Growing up in the mid west, in the country, I have seen my fair share of coyotes. Ive never hunted bear, lion, zebra, but you better believe I can positively ID one.............

Let me ask you then, what distance can I positively ID my target with my scope?

Would also like to add, when sighting in my thermal I used a hand warmer on a target at 215 yards. My hand warmers are standard sized. Zero issues seeing that little tiny square at 215 yards............

Not sure how I got roped into an internet pissing contest...haha, but I suppose it happens. Once I learn how to post videos, I will gladly post them to back up my "BS".........

Last edited:
I've ID'ed and killed a few hogs/dogs at 500 yards with my FLIR T-75 Military Sniper thermal long range scope, but it costs $17K+.

T-75%20SIG%20716%20Full%20Right%20Side.jpg

T-75%20SIG%20716%20Right%20Side.jpg

Long range military TWS are not cheap and 500 yard kills are not easy!

Four%20Flirs2.jpg

Vis%20Coyote.jpg

Kills were made using 18X-24X magnification, not 3X....

Beautiful set up Skypup. Yea, no way I would ever take a 500 yard shot, that would just be wasting lead, ha. I try not to shoot over 150-200.

The T-75 FLIR GS scope is the only scope I have used with a 640 core that is unpixelated at 12X magnification, slightly pixelated at 18X, but still useable at 24X, simply an amazing precise long range instrument but not something most hunters could put to proper use in the field at night.

Back