Light bullets in the 243?

I load noslers 55 NBT & 55g varmageddons in front of h380 at 3886 fps.
Averages 5/8" @ 100 yards. Depending on how a coyote is shot it can be no exit or if hit low gut a complete blow out.

Originally Posted By: desertcjI tried some old school imr3031 in mine with 55gr Lead Free Ballistic Tips and just my charge workup from 40gr to 44gr was a hole 3/8" wide and 1" tall! I backed it down to 43gr at 4000fps and called it good. I have not had a chance to shoot anything with this load yet.

The 55 gr Lead Free Ballistic Tip bullets are not real consistent on what they do to coyotes but they shoot very good in my rifle.

The 58 grain Winchester VarmintX are magic out of my 243. Shoots very, VERY tiny groups. Never shot one past 100 yards with them. I can't tell you what they do at longer distances but 100 yards or less has been pretty messy regardless of shot placement. Switched to 70 grain NBTs on top of 40.5 grains of Varget. Laser accurate load with good velocity but i have not put this load on fur yet.

My latest fast light RAP 243 pill load with 8208 xbr, CCI-200:
164664894.l85Js08Z.jpg

Sierra 55gr blitzkings shoot excellent with H380 out of my TC Venture. It's fantastic on coyotes. It will not exit and it's flat out to 400 yds.

55gr NBTs are evil.....bring a leafrake if your saving pelts. Shot many a chuck nearly in half when hit below the diaphram.

Last edited:
If your want a light weight 243 look at the Ruger American Predator and buy the threaded barrel version so you can put a suppressor on it in the future.

I shot this coyote Saturday with a Nosler 70gr Ballistic tip. He was 81 yards, facing me. No exit wound and dead right where I hit him. The second pic is the same bullet at 310 yards, that's the exit side. My suppressor was still in jail in the second pic.
[img:center][/img]
[img:center][/img]

Last edited:
Back