lets see those boyds stocks!

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: Winny Fan

I write and use a hammer left handed, and I eat with both hands.

Guess it doesn't matter which hand you wipe with then, does it?

I've never really thought about it before. Can I get back with you early to mid morning tomorrow?

It's a Hindu,, and maybe Muslim,, thing.
You know,,, eat with one hand and wipe with the other.

Course they eat with their hands and don't have running water,,, or bathrooms,, so it's probably important to them.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Cville4x4Which model is that CBH?
It is the Boyds Prairie Hunter model, on a Savage model 10

cbh that's a nice stock and rifle. im torn between the prarie hunter now and the varmint thumbhole and tacticool or whatever they call it now.

heres a question for you guys. ive never used a thumbhole stock hunting. does anyone notice a disadvantage to it for a calling rifle? ive got a savage axis heavy barrel it will be put on.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014cbh that's a nice stock and rifle. im torn between the prarie hunter now and the varmint thumbhole and tacticool or whatever they call it now.

heres a question for you guys. ive never used a thumbhole stock hunting. does anyone notice a disadvantage to it for a calling rifle? ive got a savage axis heavy barrel it will be put on.

After having used all three of those you mention, I prefer the
Tacticool/ProHunter. Looking closely at the photos in my first
post, you may notice the TH and Prohunter stocks are on the
same action. The TH stock will probably not go back on as the
ProHunter or the Prairie Hunter is a LOT handier than the TH is
in the field. That's a custom smokeless ML, and I also really
needed recoil reduction in the form of a mercury recoil reducer
(not a brake fan) which was not possible with the TH stock.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014looking to upgrade to a boyds stock for my new axis HB 223 and looking for pics. Im torn between thumbhole varmint and pro varmint or tacticool.

lets see this pics!
w00t.gif
What stock do you currently have on it? Do you like the style you have already or do u think u would like a thumbhole.

I have the plastic stock they come with on it now. ive shot thumbholes and like them but never used one not on a bench with bipod and bags. ill probably go with the regular models incase I don't like the feel.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014

Like I said in my post, the only issue I have is I have shot coyotes left handed in the past to avoid a whole lot of movement swinging around on them right handed. If you plan to practice and be prepared for that, the TH don't work real well. I personally thing to that if you ever have a buddy, sibling, child or whoever you want to take hunting that doesn't have a rifle and they are left handed it limits their ability to use it. I only say this because my older brother is left handed and he wanted to take my 22-250 one day and, well, it was a bit too awkward for him.

Shelton

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014I have the plastic stock they come with on it now. ive shot thumbholes and like them but never used one not on a bench with bipod and bags. ill probably go with the regular models incase I don't like the feel. I sent you a link to a stock several weeks ago, and you stated you already got one. So which is it?

sweet! this solved my problem with my brother always using my stuff. ill just get a thumbhole right handed and he cant use it. lol. ive been in situations where ive shot left handed. didn't really think about that. thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: fredhorace77Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014I have the plastic stock they come with on it now. ive shot thumbholes and like them but never used one not on a bench with bipod and bags. ill probably go with the regular models incase I don't like the feel. I sent you a link to a stock several weeks ago, and you stated you already got one. So which is it?

this is a different gun. I have 2 savage axis rifles. I was going to order one but backed out until I did some more looking. sorry for the inconvenience

Last edited:
It is a custom option that Boyds now offers. The only issue I've had with it, is it doesn't go as high as I would like for that 56mm objective scope. There might be a mod I can do to it to get the other 1/4 to 1/2 inch I would like.

Back