Let's Have Some fun: "The Worst Idea I ever had While Coyote Hunting...."

dog1whckr: If you send me your address I'll send you a sling(like David used against Goliath) so you don't have to run after them.
tt2.gif

I told Dropadoglv this story on Friday. Not coyote related but a hunting story for sure. He said post it here because its pretty funny.

Mid Sept about 25 years or so ago I was hunting doves over a desert water hole in Amargosa Valley pretty close to Death Valley. The water hole was about 75 feet across and was fed by a warm water spring.

A lone dove comes in and I shoot it. It lands right in the center of the pond and there it stays. No wind to blow it to shore! Having no dog to retrieve it I'm left with only one option. Now understand this is one lonely place to hunt. You can literally look 360 for miles and see no trace of human activity except for your own truck and the road you came in on. I strip right down to my birthday suit and paddle out, grab the dove and paddle back.

Dripping wet and "about" to get dressed a flight of 20 or so doves comes in. Still in my birthday suite I grab my over and under and get ready to shoot.

About this time I see a pickup truck with a man, wife, and two kids eyes big as silver dollars trying to figure out what exactly they are witnessing. My clothes are some distance away and there was not a thing I could do. He found his reverse pretty fast and I could see his dust cloud gaining speed with each passing second.

That's hilarious, Al. Thanks for sharing.

Reminded me of a similar incident when I was in high school. Yep, I CAN remember that far back.

A good friend invited me to go deer hunting with him during our annual school Christmas vacation. His uncle owned a large ranch in the South Texas brush country and his dad kept their Higgins camp trailer on the ranch for deer season.

We'd been hunting several days when the sun broke through, temperatures warmed into the high 60's and we decided it was time to take a bath in a windmill fed nearby stock tank.

We hadn't seen a soul all week and the tank was in the center of a large meadow surrounded by brush. The walls of the cement tank were 10-12 ft high. We stripped down and jumped into the chilly water; my friend had just climbed out and was standing on top of the cement wall and had just finished drying off hurriedly due to the brisk, chilly wind, when he spotted the ranch foreman and his daughter, who was home from college, enter the meadow in a jeep. He dropped his towel and did a belly flop back into the cold water.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: dog1whckrWell,,, Had a day where I started with coyote hunting/video shoot. On the side of a small ravine making noise facing west. Twenty minutes into a hunt that truly becomes a debacle I see straight across from me on the other side of this ravine a pup coyote, sitting down, and assessing that green camo(me). Being the truly professional that I am? I only have 3 rounds in my 22-250 and no spares with me. I mean, who needs all that ammo - right? Since he is sitting(must have been there a while) I have an easy, 130 yard chip shot. POW, down goes the coyote flopping and carrying on, second round? missed! Third round, got him again! Nope he keeps flopping and ammo shy. Camera's been running the whole time. Get up and go over to the coyote, find a 40 pound rock and end his misery; all on camera.

On the way home I see a fox sitting in a neighbors field, and, ironically, there is ONE shell laying in my ash tray. So, here we go again! Put the cross hairs on his front shoulders, POW, flop; looks like a good shot, no movement. Go over to where it lays, go to pick him up, and bip, he almost gets my hand. Now the fun starts. Both shoulders are broke. He gets up on his back legs and makes like a kangaroo for 100 yards. Me, with no shells find a 20 or so pound rock and after him I go. We did a lot of figure eights until I finally wore him out. You guessed it. Second kill of the day with a ROCK. Dang I have to much fun!! Oh yeah, I now carry 10 rounds because you never know, I may call in a whole pack of them predators!

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: DAAAll mine involve deciding I could drive through stuff it turns out I couldn't.

I hate (and fear) mud...

- DAA

I hear that, Dave; that's probably the second worst idea I've had, but that wasn't hunting coyotes.

It all began here when my bud shot a nilgai cow 200 yards off hard ground just as a driving rain struck. Next thing I knew I was headed out to retrieve the cow

The rain struck and things got worse....a lot worse

I just thought I'd been stuck til I managed to get my 1/2 ton sittin on the frame w/only one tree at a 45* angle that the winch line would reach. Surprisingly the 9500# winch had the muscle to pull truck sideways. The wide ruts in foreground were made by front wheels being pulled sideways. Took three different pulls to high ground but finally got the nilgai out.

Regards,
hm

What did he shoot that thing with? Looks like it went clean through
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot my buddy once put his foot to close to a spine shot coyotes head. he found out the mouth and teeth still worked just fine on that coyote even though not much else did.

also once had a wounded coyote that i chased down and finished off with a hard boot kick to the head. drug it back to the jeep and put it in back. several miles down the road i look in the rear view mirror and the coyote is looking back at me. that was kind of spooky.

here is a tip. do not ever kick a dead porcupine.

Not a coyote, but a deer with big horns, shot it to where it was moving some but not much, figured I'd slice it's throat while the heart was still pumping so it could bleed out better. Stepped on the neck with my foot to keep it from moving as I cut the throat, I was standing behind and reaching to the front so I could get a good deep cut.

Things happened really really fast, it came alive to an incredible degree, it arched back which put a serious rack coming up between my legs, there was no time to even get out of the way so I dropped the knife and grabbed both horns in order to protect myself as best possible. That thing threw me several feet back, my friend was so stunned he hadn't even moved. He shot it in the head with a pistol. My observation was to make a note to self, do not try to cut the throat of a buck that isn't fully dead.

That thing made a lasting impression about just how strong a deer is. If a full sized buck attacks a person they need to be very worried, they have problems.

Back