lee seater die

22-250,they are brand new
2.42 had one that was 2.44 but mostly in between,but never the same out of 20 and that's with double running the handle(running into seater die twice)

on every lee seater i have ever ran have been that way,thats why i stopped using them....but money is super tight so i got a set to use till i could afford a better set

Originally Posted By: chunks7mm22-250,they are brand new
2.42 had one that was 2.44 but mostly in between,but never the same out of 20 and that's with double running the handle(running into seater die twice)

on every lee seater i have ever ran have been that way,thats why i stopped using them....but money is super tight so i got a set to use till i could afford a better set

All with the same bullet type?

Have you taken the die apart, physically inspected it and cleaned it?

I will agree that Lee dies are not top of the heap. I have a few sets, and they are acceptable.

The seater is a floating type seater, make sure the inside of the cap screw is clean, as well as both ends of the seating stem.

BTW, +/- .02 is within most bullet over all length. Do you use a comparator to measure seat depth, or a caliper??

Originally Posted By: chunks7mmcaliper and all the same bullet type

no i haven't taken it apart,guess i can try that....
thanks

A lot of the time the assembly lube they use to assemble, and protect the die while it awaits a new home will dry out, and become sort of sticky or gummy.

I clean new dies fully dissasembled with solvent, then wipe clean, and lightly oil with Rem oil or whatever you use.

Using a caliper and measuring to the bullets tip that is not bad and I doubt it is the die at all but just variances is the bullets.

sometimes my forster die will flux.05, overall, i always ckalked it up to ogive variance....guess i should buy some lees'......02....sounds good to me!

If your measuring to the tip and not using a comparator, I'd say that's pretty dang good. I use a Lee seater for some of my cartridges with good results.

Make sure there are no burrs on the seater plug
Also if you are measuring to the bullet tip and not the ogive you will get a varience

Last edited:
Well im justwondering if tge ogive is in the same spot or if your acctually moving the bullet in/out each time different. I ge about .002-.003 difference with my 55gr sp iin my 22 250 but figured it was the bullets. My 7 mag and amax are spot on and I use the same seater

If it is the dead-length seater, those have been very consistent in my experience. It bothers me because they feel so cheap, but they seem to be very consistent in my use. Same feeling I get when using the Lee powder measure: why does this toy work so well?

Originally Posted By: 1happyshooterIf it is the dead-length seater, those have been very consistent in my experience. It bothers me because they feel so cheap, but they seem to be very consistent in my use. Same feeling I get when using the Lee powder measure: why does this toy work so well?

Just doesn't seem right does it?

I have had no problems with my Lee Seater dies . They will make top quality ammo and are very repeatable . However, they are not as finly manufactured as RCBS , Redding, Forrester ,Hornaday , etc. but they don't cost as much . I have several sets for calibers I don't load a lot of ammo for with the exception of my 25-06 . I thought i would not be using them very much but I probably use them more than most of my rifle dies . The only problem is they feel cheap and I am sure they have a life where all the others will never wear out . I think Lee is good value and a good choice if you are on a limited budget . I would rather see a new guy get lee and get started than not have his own loads.

Last edited:
Back