Leaving dead coyotes

jk2paintworx

Does leaving dead coyotes effect future stands at that location? I am shooting a 6.5 grendel when fur isn't prime and when I am not close to any houses I sometimes leave the coyotes lay. But wondering if that is educating coyotes in any way.

Naw, at a local spot that has a bow hunt deer club, a member nailed a yote with an arrow.
It spun then expired.
A couple other yotes proceeded to eat it!
(that's his story & he's stick'n to it)

Won't bother them a bit. Animals die all the time in the wild. They don't know that a bullet/hunter was the cause.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotold wives tales says if you leave dead coyotes hanging on the fences it will keep other coyotes out. a lot of people believed that. lol

That's like every time a bird craps on your truck, you sit on your porch eating scrambled eggs just to show them what you're capable of.
tt1.gif

Originally Posted By: TheBig1

That's like every time a bird craps on your truck, you sit on your porch eating scrambled eggs just to show them what you're capable of.
tt1.gif

haha, that's funny.. I should use that when i reseed the lawn this fall with the stupid Doves. They show up in masses wearing bibs.

(for those that don't know) In phx, we cut the lawns off really short in Sept-Oct, and then lay down Rye grass, and grow the same lawns your looking at all summer. Then in the summer when it gets hot the rye dies off, and the Bermuda comes back to life, then rinse and repeat each fall.

Originally Posted By: TheBig1Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotold wives tales says if you leave dead coyotes hanging on the fences it will keep other coyotes out. a lot of people believed that. lol

tt1.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Last year I dropped several coyotes after letting them smell and pay respect to the last one I shot 5 min earlier.
Probably at least 8 coyotes smelled other carcasses in their last minutes.
One came in and peed on a pile of 4 coyotes from the day before, I was laughing and had to get serious to drop him.

I leave them all lay as they are not worth picking up unless its is nice enough I want to tan it.
Coyotes eat everything (even their own) that has perished only exception is human flesh. They wont touch that.

Had a dead bull on one of the ranches I hunt that nothing would eat, neither coyotes or buzzards.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Had a dead bull on one of the ranches I hunt that nothing would eat, neither coyotes or buzzards.

Regards,
hm

Local ranchers have told me that bulls and certain other livestock having recent shots of certain medicines have an odor that wards off predators.
I had asked after seeing several including a horse carcass that went untouched. Don't remember ever seeing this with dead wildlife.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorThat is funny. ( How would you know they won't eat human flesh?)

When you have had several dead bodies on your ranch over that last 30 years and seen what the coyotes don't do to them I am pretty confidant I may have a good Idea. But hey what do i know other than they eat this and not that when it is all available.
smile.gif

Livestock is absolutely not desirable full of medications either.

We leave a lot of ours lay and its OK with the land owner. The buzzards do seem to like them especially if they have bee "opened up" a bit. Reduced to bones in a very short time.....

Coyotes will do what coyotes will do and we just need to get used to it.

Most of the carcasses I leave get cleaned up by birds in no time. Picture below was one week and I bet it looked about like that after only a couple of days. Skinning them speeds up the process a good bit from what I've seen.

IMG_0858.jpg

Some of them get eaten by other coyotes too. Have seen that a lot. Last year, I put about a dozen coyotes in the cab of an old truck out on the desert. Came back a month later and never seen so much coyote sign in my life as around that truck. Had to tip toe around to avoid stepping in coyote crap. Tracks on top of tracks coming, going, all directions. Bones of the dead coyotes all scattered and gnawed littering the ground all around that old truck.

Camped a hundred yards from the truck that night and coyotes howling all around all night long. Killed the crap out of them the next morning
laugh.gif

Buddy that does control work for a living, always finding new ways to mess with coyotes and observe. For years he'd put road kill deer out for coyotes and observe how soon the coyotes would feed, what times of day, how they approached etc. He found that the position of the deers body totally effected how soon coyotes would feed on it. The more natural position he put them in, the sooner coyotes would feed on them. But when he put the deer in unnatural positions, it took much longer and sometimes the coyotes wouldn't ever touch them. He found that exactly where he put the deer, in relation to certain terrain features, had similar effect. Some spots prompted quick feeding, other spots consistently caused the coyotes to take a long time before starting to feed or to not ever feed on that carcass at all.

I believe that some individual coyotes are so nouveau phobic that they are actually spooked by carcasses too.

Funny critters. Coyotes.

- DAA

After around fifty years in the ranching business I have noticed coyotes probably will not feed on animals killed by lightning,I suppose a different smell.

Back