Leaving Business cards with landowners

Zegle

I have been turned down everytime I ask permission to hunt private land. I'm as honest as can be and direct to the point because I know the landowner has other things to take care of. I introduce myself, compliment their assests(cattle look good, land is upkept well, etc)tell a little bit about me and where i'm from, and let them know I was raised on a farm/ranch.

I know there could be several reasons why they aren't allowing me to hunt (bad experiences with hunters, no hunting allowed, family hunters only, hunters coming out too often, bringing other people out to hunt, etc.)

My idea is: get a couple hundred free business cards from vista print.
I've been rolling around the idea of leaving a couple with landowners who turn me down for permission to hunt their property. This way later on if they change their mind, have animals killed, or are being overrun with coyotes, they have a guy and number for the job. On said business card would have my name, e-mail, phyisical address, cell number, and "Predator Exterminator"(or something similar) at the top of the card. Anyone have success trying this tactic? Or am i just that bad at asking permission to hunt!?
lol.gif

Thanks in advance

I would think if they don't want you there there either not gonna take the card or they will just throw it away. But you never know. If you hand out 50 and get one call I guess it's worth it. I have thought about giving a card to the ones that do give me permission in case something changes.

I tried this last season left about 20 cards
No call backs at all.
Doesn't mean it's not a viable tactic...

You won't suddenly be flush with land but it works. I have cards that I hand out and have gained a lot of access that way. But it's generally some time down the road that they call you back.

Chupa

I just use my regular business cards and write my cell # down for them, but that might not work for folks who don't own their own businesses. "XYZ Widgets" might not take kindly to you using their name for your own personal advertisment.

I think it's a great idea. Like "Big Cat" said, it only takes one to call back. It's been my experience that once you get your foot in the door with one rancher and he sees that your an honest, trustworthy guy, he will spread the word. Or you can visit his neighbors and drop his name. If they know that John Q. Rancher trusts you, they'll be more apt to as well.

I have this card that i have been using for a few years.
I also ordered the matching 11x17" car magnet that i put on the side of the truck when I am out hunting. That way when they see the truck they know who it is. The phone number and email on the back is plenty.
I have been turned down when asking, until I say that I am looking for coyotes and only coyotes. They usually turn it around and say, oh.. ya, you can come shoot coyotes. I find that they don't want people out there doing other hunting.. Like, turkeys, elk, deer.. ect.

There was a guy that came out yelling and carrying on once, very mean, his dogs were jumping on the truck.. I told him I am looking for coyotes.. He was almost falling over himself to pull the dogs back and has called me a couple of times a year to come back.. I always stop in and say Hi, offer him a soda, and show him the dead ones..
Give it a try.. I know it was a good $20 i spent on the card, and it's a funny conversation piece when people ask for a card and i give them that, when i don't feel like giving them a work business card. lol

I would suggest adding in the word FREE somewhere.. I have had a few ranchers ask how much each coyote was gonna cost, when I showed up to show them the dead.. It was an miscommunication thing, cause I thought he was trying to buy the pelts.

Last edited:
Yes, it can work.
Several years ago, as I was trying to expand my hunting efforts, and possible spots, I had cards made up.
At first it didn't help, but eventually it did.

One problem I initially had, was that I had the words "Predator Control Service" in the name of my "business" (which wasn't actually a business).
Even though on the card, I stated "Free of Charge"...some folks turned me down because they thought I wanted to be paid to kill coyotes.
Another issue with the wording, was that most people thought it meant I was into ADC work, which I know nothing about.

The next round of cards I had made, I removed the word "Control", and that seemed to lessen the confusion.

Obviously, I'm NOT trying to tell you how to word your cards.
However, I can see where using the word "Exterminator" might become an issue with some folks.
Some might jump to the conclusion that they would expect you to kill coyotes & show such proof, every time you hunted their property. {Some people just simply lack common sense)
Just sayin'...

Back when I was handing out those cards, I also would go to places like the local small-town elevators; livestock salebarns; "farm stores" such as Tractor Supply, or Orschlen's (or whatever is in your area); veterinary supply stores; ect...and if the place had a public-use notice bulletin board, I would thumbtack a few cards to it.
I rec'd some calls to come out & hunt, after doing that.

If you're in, or hunting near small towns...also keep in mind the local cafe's where farmers might (on cold mornings) stop in often for a cup of coffee & to chat with their neighbors.
Little Mom/Pop "hometown" grocery stores also sometimes have public-use notice boards that a farmer, (or his wife) might look at.

Lots of very good tips here! thanks for the tips fellas. I live in a small town surrounded by farmers so hopefully some of these tips will pay off!

Thanks for the responses guys..lots of helpful hints! Taking in your guys experiences and observations, I believe I will make up a few cards, being careful of word choice, and see what happens. I might have to start making a daily morning trip to the local cafe and start shooting bull with the regulars, and leave some of those cards on public announcement bulletin boards.

It can't hurt.

I used to hand out these (printed on 8.5" x 11" paper) back in 2008+ (pertinent info redacted):

flyer2006.jpg

I updated the fliers this year to include a Spanish version and a bump in my years of experience.

I also hand out these now as well (pertinent info redacted):

businesscardfront.jpg

I also carry around a folder with permission slips and a Google Earth map print-out of the area. That way I can get their property lines on paper, as well as picking up other parcels that are not attached to where we are standing. I have an insurance policy through the NRA, but I don't normally mention that unless I absolutely need to.

One more thing I forgot to add. Grab a Gmail email address, then set your phone up with a Google Voice number (you can have it ring to your phone). That way, you can hand out the fliers, or cards, to everyone you run across without worrying about your cell phone number being available to everyone.

However, as stated above, your best bet will be getting a couple of landowners to give you permission. Once you are known to them and do a good job, you can drop their names for references, if needed.

Eric
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChupathingyYou won't suddenly be flush with land but it works. I have cards that I hand out and have gained a lot of access that way. But it's generally some time down the road that they call you back.

Chupa
This is what a buddy of mine does. He has a small business and gives the card out cause it's got his info. He usually gets a call a year or so later. He has a lots of land both big and small parcels to hunt. He claims he's got half the county and waiting on another guy to quit or die to get his half.

I've done this with the cards, and frankly I think it helps a lot. The cards are cheap enough I keep a bunch in my truck right alongside my business cards. Lol

I'm pretty good friends with the manager of the local feed and seed supply store. He let me put up a flier in the store and when people comment on it he tells them what a good person I am and really lays it on thick. (He's a close friend and a irrepressable liar)but the farmers like him. Try hanging out at the feed and seed and just talking to the old men that hang out there. You'd be suprised at the knowledge you can pick up and at the permission you can get if you just listen a lot and talk a little.

Zegle,
I always give a card to the folks that let me hunt, and sometimes to the folks that don't.
I print up a simple card on Avery paper from Wally World with a coyote picture from free internet clip art and my name, 2 phone numbers, and my hunter safety card number.
I respect the folks that don't let me hunt, but I take real good care of the folks that do let me hunt, and I make sure they can get in touch with me any time they need something.

thumbup1.gif

Here is something I made up. I took pieces from other business cards I found online and substituted in some ideas you guys have given me and added a bible verse. I hope they turn out good!

After posting my original reply yesterday, I rummaged thru stuff in my desk last night.
I wound up finding a few of my leftover cards from 2006.

I marked out the phone #, as it is one that I no longer use...as well as some hand-written stuff along the bottom of the card........

Back