Last night’s boar

Yellowhammer

Staff member
A local landowner contacted me Monday and said he had heard I might be able to help him with some hogs that were rooting up his pastures on some property south of town. I told him I would check it out first chance I got. I had been to the property several years ago, and had it on my Hunt Stand app so. I knew where to go. So last night I decided go see what I could see.

I parked next to his camp house and a large pond, and looked it over with the thermal, but didn’t see anything. So, I got my caller, tripod and light and started to walk toward the back field that was a cross a major creek. I saw some rooting along the way, and one oppossum. When I got across the creek I scanned that field but still saw nothing. The grass was taller than. I liked, but figured I could see a coyote or hog if they were out there. I said the caller out and played some baby cottontail for a while, but nothing showed up but a barred owl.

The mosquitoes were brutal, so I didn’t give it long, and headed back to the truck and checked another little side pasture that had a lot of rioting but grass was pretty heigh.

When I got back to the pond, I climbed up on the damn to gain some elevation the see into the field behind it better.

Sure enough I spotted what looked like a lone hog. I don’t know if he was there earlier and I didn’t see him because I had bee on lower ground he has come out while I was in the back field. I circled around the pond to get closer and confirm my ID. I was sure enough a boar. I hit the record button and took the shot, but it just clicked. I ejected the round and took the shot again. This time it went off, but for some erasure the thermal shot off at the recoil. First time I have had that happen. Had heard the thump of a hit, and when I turned the thermal back on, I could see him down and kicking. I turned record back on and. Gave him an assurance shot.

Ended up being about a 150 pound boar. I took a picture and texted it to the landowner. And he was happy. I will check again periodically to see if I can get any more. I will try and see what kind of video I got here in a little bit.

IMG_3099.jpeg

Well the kill shot video didn’t work at all.

Only got a screen shot of of the zero second video from the app.

IMG_3102.png
After I turned it back on, that video loaded.

Last edited:
I ejected the round for a new one and I could not find the ejected one in the dark to see what the reason was. Not sure if it was not slammed shut enough or what.

While checking traps this morning I bumped into a large sounder of Sows and little pigs, this old Sow decided she was going to eat me to protect the baby pigs, Big mistake DOOOM !!! ON HER Murl B.
2GlLV7i.jpg

1MxnB4B.jpg

DesertRam, One of the ranch hands usually takes the little eater pigs I get, no one wanted this one so it went to the gut pit, I didn't have time to grab my rifle out of the Jeep, when 2 pigs came out of the brush one about 3 times the size of this one and this one shot the big one twice with my .22 pistol and it ran back in the brush this little one ran to about 15-20 yards from me and stopped shot it with my .22 twice and it dropped, I don't recommend shooting Pigs with a .22 but it's what I had in my hand this morning. Murl B.

Spurchaser, Nope no creek the nearest running water is the Rio Grande River, but we have stock ponds and cement tanks feed by windmills or one of the water wells, we are sitting on top of the Edwards Aquifer, the largest Aquifer in Texas. Murl B.

Back