Last Chance Bobcat and bonus coyote

SteeliemonMI

Buddy and I went up north to give a last attempt at bobcat before the season ended. Long story short, he got the chance and made good on it. Called in female bobcat Thursday morning about 11:00-11:30. I was watching the back door and never saw the cat come in. Made good on the shot at about 45-50 yards. Cat was looking at the decoy and call and was dead straight to him. Put one from the .17WSM right in the bread basket and dropped it in its tracks.

Was quite a few bobcat tracks but that was the only one either of us saw.

Thursday night he completed a great day of calling/hunting with a bonus coyote. We really didn't expect to see anything as the wind was howling pretty good. Set up along a small creek that flows through a thick swamp and had this male bust out of the cover on the other side. Once again, I was watching the downwind side and happened to see the dog bust out. Had my gun pointed in the right direction but he started quartering toward the call and decoy right away. I picked up my gun and bipod to make a shot, set the bipod down in the snow and it sank about 6-8 deeper than where it was at originally. I have seen coyotes come storming in on a string in videos but this was the most aggressive approach either of us have seen live. He was in my buddy's lap within 4-5 seconds and he happened to be carrying his shotgun and dropped him right in his tracks.

No shooting for me but in my book, anytime you can get a cat and a coyote to come to the call in one day, something must be going right. Did not take a photo of the coyote in the field as it was rapidly getting very nasty out and the light was poor as well.

One picture of the cat in the field and one of the coyote are included.
20150129_110203_zpsojehenpm.jpg

20150129_184324_zpszauhuu6p.jpg

Very very nice ! What calls got the job done ? Darn weather is preventing me from doing more cat hunting, crotch deep snow. Only have 1 more week of cat season here. Thanks for sharing !

Nice job. You still liking the 17 wsm? I lost a slam dunk coyote a couple weeks ago with mine. 70 yard broadside, put one in the boiler and one in the [beeep] running away. Sprayed blood 250 yards till I lost it in the swamp.

Still liking the .17 WSM. So nice and light to carry around. So far, knock on wood, we haven't lost one that we are sure we connected with. Where I am at, it is rare to have a shot much over 100-150 yards. We do a lot of night hunting and it is the best gun for that here (rimfire only at night in Michigan).

Used a couple different calls on the Shockwave for both animals. I am pretty sure that both showed up with a version of Snowshoe rabbit. I know that is what the coyote came to.

nice going! good lookin' cat.
I've got a blank again this season so far.... seen one coyote , a couple owls ,an eagle , some crow a hawk... no shots.

Last edited:
Back