Largest animal CLEAN kill you've made with a .223 ??

ADC,

You must hate the .223 more than the Taliban!!!

Almost all the people that have posted here have taken game larger than a coyote with the .223rem. They must have been succesful or they wouldn't talk about it.

Quote:
Sure if you limit the shot and are a good shot you can kill deer with it, you can do it with a 22-250 as well, that is not the point! To state it is sufficant use for big game is lacking in a big way. How many people who see the 30 pointer at 300 yards are going tompass on it? Add in wind, a moving target or any other scenario that may happen afield and I'm wanting more bullet and more knock down power.

An arrow is far different the shock value isn't there, you must rely on a vitale hit to kill cleanly with a bow and arrow, they are a limited range weapon those that push it find out the hard way! As a hunt safe instructor I would never give out advise to anyone to use a .223 as a main deer weapon to be counted on in many situations. I have seen plenty of runner coyotes from this caliber, let alone deer!

Just listen to what your saying, If a hunter can put an arrow in a 8" circle at 30yds why is it so hard to belive a hunter can put a bullet in the same spot at 100yds? I love to bow hunt but your program should let you in on the fact that the .223 rnd still has more energy than any bow.
If some one want's to shoot a .223 at their game its only a bad idea if they fail and that can happen with any caliber. I saw a bear wounded by four 06 shots once. And finished with a .243 to the head. Just ask any guide what they see happen with novice hunters and magnums. Thats it peace and love to all....

Shot a 900-1000 lb. cow a few years ago.She had gotten loose at the slaughter house and lived wild for a couple weeks,eating well in the cornfields.The owner called me and said she had been hanging around one farm in particular,and they were starting to pick the corn.I had a super accurate Savage .223 at the time,so off we went.Found her in a cornfield at about 125 yards,and shot her perfectly between the eyes-did'nt faze her!As she turned,I put another in her ear and she dropped like a rock.The landowner was waiting for the shot(s) and came with a loader-we had her in the slaughterhouse in 15 minutes.The first shot was centered perfect,but did'nt reach the brain.53 gr.Hornady match bullets.

I know a guy who worked as a butcher for a bison farm. He used a .222 rem (slightly smaller than a .223) to brain shot bison out to 50 yards. remember what Bell always said. "100 grains in the right place is better than 10,000 in the wrong place" so shot placement is key.

Like some of the others, I have killed whitetail deer with both the 223, and 222. while I do not normally hunt deer with those rifles, if I happen to have one with me and they are legal, I will not hesitate to take one with either, like any other weapon, its a matter of picking your shot, and not taking a risky one.
Barry

Mine isn't a game animal but like the other guys I shot a cow with mine. The farm I hunt on had one get down, we backed off about 50yds and I flipped out the bipod and got comfy and let the 45gr hollow point fly, hit her right between the eyes and she never even quivered just went limp.

I shot an antelope at 450 yards with a one shot DRT kill with a 223. Load was a 50g Sierra Blitz loaded with 27.5g of 748 with a muzzle velocity of about 3500 fps. Antelope season was open, he walked out where I was shooting p. dogs sniffing my red tailed wind flag that I had forgotten and drove off and left. Jerkey out of antelope is very good, the only way that I will eat a goat.

I killed two full grown does with a 788 in 223 loaded with 26.5g of 748 with a 55g Win with a muzzle velocity of 3050 fps, DRT 100 yard shots. The Does weighed about 100-115 lbs each.

I know a guy that killed 12 bucks last year with a 22/250 loaded with 60g Nolser partitions, lost a lot of meat due to bullet damage.

I bet that a 220 swift with 60g Nosler partitions would be hell on wheels on white tail and mule deer. The key to these smaller calibers is that they are so accurate to begin with, and the shooters have used these guns a lot..they know their equipment.

After shooting ground squirrels, p. dogs, etc, shooting an animal the size of a deer is like shooting a freight train!

I have a buddy that shot a doe last year, a Texas heart shot, and 243 with the 85g Barnes Tripple shock was lodged underneath the hide in front of the shoulder blade after it broke the shoulder blade! Barnes Tripple shock bullet may just make us re-think the way we look at big game bullets.

I'm not talking 50 yard brain shots on domestics! I'm talking real world deer hunting on deer between 150-190 lbs, not southern dog size mature northern deer.

I don't care what bullet you use a smaller bullet made to go far faster and your asking alot from any of them in something doing over 3200fps, your not going to keep it together on bone hits! A 220 swift again your asking alot from a 60 gr I don't care if it is a partition, the speed and impact will wreck them easy! I have shot deer with a 22-250 and 60 gr Nosler partitions on deer depredation, they kill deer but hit bone and you have a mess!

Antelope at 400+ yards with a 50 something bullet IMHO is asking for run away antelope, I have found a 25-06 and 110 accu bonds to be a far better choice for long range antelope or deer hunting, and that is my point the energy left at or past 300 yards is not sufficant for the body mass of most big game animals.

There is a big differance from a .223 and .243 as I'm sure your aware of!

Do what you will, but I would never with a sound mind recommend a .223 or 22-250 as a main big game caliber. Good day!

This post asked for CLEAN kill's.

The subject in itself is controversial if not for the above ?

Quote:
Do what you will, but I would never with a sound mind recommend a .223 or 22-250 as a main big game caliber. Good day!

Not one hunter here has stated that .223 is their main big game caliber....

Quote:
I don't care what bullet you use a smaller bullet made to go far faster and your asking alot from any of them in something doing over 3200fps, your not going to keep it together on bone hits! A 220 swift again your asking alot from a 60 gr I don't care if it is a partition, the speed and impact will wreck them easy! I have shot deer with a 22-250 and 60 gr Nosler partitions on deer depredation, they kill deer but hit bone and you have a mess!

If you have shot deer with a 22-250 why are you even talking????? Just to start what is happening now..

Quote:
I'm not talking 50 yard brain shots on domestics! I'm talking real world deer hunting on deer between 150-190 lbs, not southern dog size mature northern deer.

What is a domestic brain shot. I don't think anybody that shared tied up a pet deer an shot it... I've got news for you, it goes like this, the majority of deer taken in the continental us are between 100-150lbs not 150 and 190 "real world!!!

Quote:
Antelope at 400+ yards with a 50 something bullet IMHO is asking for run away antelope, I have found a 25-06 and 110 accu bonds to be a far better choice for long range antelope or deer hunting, and that is my point the energy left at or past 300 yards is not sufficant for the body mass of most big game animals.

Stop knocking peoples post's. If you have found a 25-06 thats great for you, what does that have to due with his answer to the post? I don't believe he asked the antelope to run away.

We've been through this before. Don't bust on people with your ballistic programs. We all have them toooooo.

I have not done this and it was only something I read in a magazine that I can only vaguely remember.......So it's gotta be true right? But, I read that I believe it was or is the "Inuit indians" up north hunt Polar Bear with .223's. If it is true, I imagine it's done because of the cost of the ammunition rather than the performance of the round. Personally, I'm a little skeptical about it. But, I thought I would shock you with something that was actually published on this topic.

Chupa

domestics meaning bison and cows as posted yote killa! Not tied up deer.

I'm talking because I have shot deer with a 22 caliber rifle and know the differance seen! It was to show I have shot them with both and can see the differance!

If you have them then use them and see the performance and rate them as such! Bullet drop, wind deflection and energy!

It is open to opinion with some comments as to the thought of it being a caliber they would use on a common bases.

The antelope to run away is the result from not enough transfer of energy, would you go bow hunting with a field point for deer?

I'm not busting I'm presenting facts to a debate as to the ability of a .223 and deer hunting goes, read the other post made of a guy commenting on runner coyotes!

Put a bullet in the neck of a deer and it will drop them. A .22 mag will do it everytime. A clean kill for me is dead on impact. 50/50 on a heart shot. Only one animal that i have ever seen get up from a neck shot was a 330lb audad. three shots to the neck and one between the eyes when he charged with a .270. Would shoot anything with mine just gotta place the shot

I believe that the topic was the "Largest animal CLEAN kill with a .223", and not ".223 cannot kill due to lack of energy transfer". Nobody asked anyone to whether they doubted the killing ability of the .223, he asked about animals killed by the .223, not if they ran off, or limped off, but if they killed. Come on ADC, quit bashing the round already. I have killed a big mule deer with mine and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I took my .223 because I KNEW what it was capable of doing and what it was dropping at the specific yardages.

Well, I've been in on these threads alot, so whats one more

Whitetailed deer and not considered big game, they are light thinned skinned med. game, I've taken over 100 deer with a 223, how many over I haven't a clue. Its not the best but it is adequate.
You need to use patience, dicipline, and marksmanship to use it continously successful. on a on-leg foreward broadside double lung shot it can't be beat, on an adrenaline charged rutting buck, there are better answers, but for the most part, If your one of those that think a bigger bullet makes up for bad shooting, or rushing a shot, you really shouldn't hunt with anything.
RR

ADC,
Quote:
domestics meaning bison and cows as posted yote killa! Not tied up deer.

Why would you worry about what people use to kill a cow then?
Quote:
I'm talking because I have shot deer with a 22 caliber rifle and know the differance seen! It was to show I have shot them with both and can see the differance!

Not one person said there was not a difference between large and small calibers. If you can see a difference then thats wonderful for you, great, we can too!
Quote:
It is open to opinion with some comments as to the thought of it being a caliber they would use on a common bases.

Not so.... It was asked what is the largest game taken by the said caliber? You just had to go there.
Quote:
The antelope to run away is the result from not enough transfer of energy, would you go bow hunting with a field point for deer?

First of all. I didn't read anywhere that the antelope ran off and snooted about his energy. C'om on dude... Second; I would not hunt deer with a field point but WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
I'm not busting I'm presenting facts to a debate as to the ability of a .223 and deer hunting goes, read the other post made of a guy commenting on runner coyotes!

This is not a debate as to the ability of .223 hunting deer. Period.. I think your other comment is off base on that post also..

Ok I guess Im going to get flamed for this, I shot a 190# bear with my 22-250 55grain softpoint folded him up right there. I hit right behind the shoulder it broke ribs on intrance turned the lungs to mush then we found fragments in the offside ribcage, no exit the bear was approx 50 yards. I know it wasnt the ideal bear cartridge but it was all I had at the time. its not 223 but its the same caliber.

I've read a lot of message boards that say the 223 is bad and unethical. We have a pig problem in my neck of the woods so I am testing the 223 55 gr soft points black hills [red and blue box]. So far, this bullet has killed 5 pigs ranging 50-175#. High shoulder shot and right behind the shoulder. 75-200 yard max range so far. Head, ear and eyeball shots are cheat'n. I am looking for terminal preformance. So far, we have been amazed. We usually break the first shoulder and find the bullet in the far shoulder or underneath the skin on the far side. I am not sure what brand 55 gr sp bullet blackhills uses but it has been working. All of the pigs fall withing 10 yrds.

If I was pay'n for a hunt on a big buck, I'd take my 25-06 but so far the 223 hasn't been bouncing of the sides of Brazos county hogs.

This was a real simple post to answer ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Some of you are acting like a bunch 6 year olds! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

This is exactly what the anti's love ..........fighting with one another! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

TOGETHER WE STAND, DEVIDED WE FALL!

Tim

Quote:
I'm talking real world deer hunting on deer between 150-190 lbs, not southern dog size mature northern deer.

I have another one, but it wasnt mine. When my brother killed his first mule deer at 10 years old, he took it down with a .222 at about 150 yards. One shot, right behind the shoulder. After he shot the deer spun around 180 and fell. Never kicked or anything. It was about a 150# mule deer.

Back