Large New Mexico kitty

I measured it right now, just under 42". It shrank a bit on the stretcher, but is still larger than my others.

The scale may be off too, it is only a Walmart scale I purchased years ago.

i took 51-52 cats in WY before the high prices, I bet they all were 25 or less lbs, my buddy from Gillette got a pig of a cat 3 yrs ago, sold it for 700$ way bigger than my biggest tom

Nice cat alright.

I got $600 for my best Cat and $70 for my top Coyote this week.

Four Cats
Eight Coyotes
Nine Coons

Good check. (-:

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKNice cat alright.

I got $600 for my best Cat and $70 for my top Coyote this week.

Four Cats
Eight Coyotes
Nine Coons

Good check. (-:

Nice! I'll find out tomorrow at auction

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachBest I have gotten was $600 for a cat and $65 for a coyote.

Prices are supposed to be down by 1/3 this year right? Any specific reason for that?

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKA friend of mine here sold his Coyotes last night.

Put Up

Isn't that a lot for coyotes? I doubt these southern desert dogs could earn that much, I'll find out tomorrow.

The coyote market is strong for good heavy westerns, I was fortunate this year to have a lot of dogs that were red course haired damaged from burrs, it flat out killed my average but when you start putting up 30 or more dogs your bound to get some ugly ones

Originally Posted By: RuggedExposureOriginally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachBest I have gotten was $600 for a cat and $65 for a coyote.

Prices are supposed to be down by 1/3 this year right? Any specific reason for that?

It's getting a touch better highs were $600 now there up to $800. Your cats should go $150-$300 I'm guessing.

Any other pointers for stretching the cats? I saw where a person was using coat hangers to keep the arms pointed out while drying, then someone told me to do the 'Nevada stretch' and dry them with the arms pointed up to make the belly fur look longer. Is this true?

image_zpsf941da7f.jpg

Last edited:
I see what you mean by mine being too wide. How do you keep the arm holes pointed up? Wont this create pockets that air can't get to and cause drying problems? Are you using Borax?

Yes borax at armpits ; ear butts; groin area.

I hung the 2 I did with nose down and used the plastic coat hanger to keep opened nice.

Flesh down good, borax the whole thing rub it in really good shake out put on leather out for one hour then flip to fur out cut coat hangers in half put in arms and then pin to board straight up. The next cat I get I will do a toturial.

Nice put up EJ....and beautiful cats. Do you also "dry bath" your cats in borax ? I know some do.

Peroxide and WD 40 are good for removing blood from furs (coons & Coyotes anyway) Have put up only 2 cats ever so far.

With my cats and yotes I wash them with soapy water right after I skin/flesh them to get the majority of the blood out. Rub the entire leather side with borax, put them on the stretcher and space out the inside with coat hangers or cardboard to let airflow go in. Typically they are completely dry within 24 hours.

Today I touched up the pelts with a scrub brush like this:
nylon-scrub-brush-19186433.jpg

by dipping it in soapy water to get the little bits of blood and any clumps in the fur out. I also use shop air to blow the pelts clean and get all of the dust out.

Back