Krieger vs Criterion Barrels

I vote for the 25-06 AI. I look forward to reading the article. I know the Missouri breaks and you better have some long range capability and knock down power. Enough said.

OK, finally made up my mind on the chambering of the gun for the Varmint Hunter article. Let me bounce it off you guys.

How about 6.5-06 Ackley?

I got to talking to Gordy and he had a great reamer.

Primary investigation shows 100-grain Ballistics @ 3600+ should be possible. Heck, they would about turn coyotes inside out (easier to skin).

For things that you'd want to eat, the 120 Ballistics @ 3300-3400 or the 125 Partitions at the same speed would be excellent.

Basic stats at this time are 700 BDL Stainless action, 26" 3-contour Krieger barrel, Gray-and-white gel-coat McMillan Classic stock, Leupold QR mounts and either a Leupold 3.5-10 or Leupold 4.5-14 scope.

Sound OK?

Steve

PS Boy, did we get off the subject. Started out with my mistake(?) in terminology and ended up building a rifle. Love it!

Steve,
Interesting choice of rounds, and I think a good one.

A few thoughts IMHO., and I hate to offer armchair critiques, so please take them for what they are worth, and do not feel that they are a major "ding" to you or your project. Just some thoughts, OK?

Ditch the 700 action, and use a Tikka 695 instead. Or a CZ action.

Everybody is "doing" the Rem 700, for everything.
Also drop the fancy rings, get a set of plain horizontally split rings, and maybe write up a side-bar story on how you Arcaglassed them in. With some photos. (It would empower readership, and save you money, too)

Just wondering about the Leupold QR rings/bases. I asked a question about them a month or so ago and got very negative responces. Also kind of along the same lines as Tackdriver, but different (there are lots of used and available 700 actions and very few Tikkas available). We've seen article after article about Leupold scopes and nosler bullets (hint, hint). We all know that they are supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but varietty is the spice of life. It would be nice to see a write up on something else. Say a Sightron(sp), a bushnell Elite, a Weaver, maybe (not) one of those, way too expensive, Eurpoean scopes that few can actually afford to purchase. I'd like to see a new and different bullet manufacturer written about from your unique prospective. For instance something exotic like a HORNADY V-MAX of some kind.

Yes I'm being some what of a smart alic with some of the last paragraph, but the same ol, same ol standards get sorta old. Like the endless articles on the 30-06 did 20 years ago. By the way do they still manufacure the 30-06? When was the last time you read an article about the 30-06?

Michael,

Surprising you should mention Sightron. I have one for testing right now, a SII 4.5-14. Nice, nice scope.

You are right, of course, about the variety, and like most folks, I tend to get in a rut. The rut is usuall what works for me and what will work well for my readers.

I really like the Remington actions, mostly because there are lots of aftermarket pieces available for them.

I really like the way Nosler bullets perform and I've never had a Leupold let me down. I've had lost hunts $$$$$$ because of the failures of other scopes and I am one to hold a grudge. Forever.

I've been delighted with the Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts and the QR mounts.

I particurly like the Leupold QRs because I can remove the scope while cleaning the rifle (both during break-in and later). Also, with the QRs, I always carry a spare scope that is zeroed. Some of my out-of-state hunts are fairly spendy and I feel more confident that all of the bases are covered if I have another scope with me and it is a ten-second operation to put it on.

The Leupold QRs zero is perfect. Very simple system and it works, so I use it.

.30-'06: If it was released today, it would be the 7.62 Wunderkind and the best cartridge of the day. I've harvested something over 50 African animals with the .30-'06. Happiness is always found in moderation.

Steve

Thanks for the responce. I will read whatever you choose to write about.

And by the way, could you tell us about the scopes tha you've had bad luck with? Maybe we should start another thread.

Back