Killed a pretty big kitty down in Texas

Great read! I was getting a little antsy when that lion picked up it's head!!!

That is a big big cat, beautiful animal.

Last edited:
First off, Congratulations on the fabulous hunt. Junction Tx, is conducive to such game. Excellent job.

I have a 260 Model 7 in the 18" barrel. It was one of the first ones to come out. It took me 6 months of work to get where I wanted to be. I finally stumbled on the perfect load for MY gun.
I use the 140 grain Nosler Partition, with 45.5 grains of RE 19 . This produces one hole groups at 100 yards. Now remember that it is a 18" barrel so I have to limit it to three shots.
Suggestions have been several other powders, with the 140 grain. The 120 grain Nosler has worked good on Deer, but the 140 takes care of Hogs and would be a better choice for several other species.
Remember this also, keep in mind and pay attention to what twist is in your barrel. Mine is a 1-9 This is what Big Green chose. You may have a 1-8 which is better especially for the heavier bullet. I know that you can use other powders, but for some reason it worked good with my gun. The Nosler 120 grain shoots three shots that can be covered with a dime. Same powder, just different amount.

Kudos to you on taking a trophy of a lifetime. Getting him mounted is great; you will be able to enjoy him all your life. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Originally Posted By: GCLet me get this straight... On one sit you killed a deer, two hogs and a mountain lion? I'm certified and officially jealous!
smile.gif

Some people have all the luck. I have trouble getting just one of anything.

Nice going by the way. That's one heck of a kitty for sure. Great stuff.

I'll 2nd that.. Thats going to be a tough hunt to beat.... Congrats.

i shoot a model 10 predator in 6.5 creedmoor (really close cartridge to 260) for your purposes i would look into the 140 grain accubond or the 120 grain monolithic bullets like hornady gmx or barnes tipped triple shock

IABear,

After hunting all my life this is my first sighting/kill. I may never see or kill another, the reason I couldn't pass up such a majestic animal.

one of the best stories I've read in awhile...........a real nail biter. I got a call at work just as I got to the part where he lifted his head and couldn't wait to get back to it.
wilderness wonderland there. great job.

You should just throw those underwear out...

The only thing that tops the story is the size of the cat. Cheers to you (flavor of the night tonight is Jim Beam).

Job well done!

Thanks guys as its a memory I'll never forget. Its even more memorable in the 260 I was shooting was given to me by a friend in stock form. I had it blue printed, rebarrel and restocked by a gunsmith. I was also hunting with that friend that weekend and even hunting his stand. He is a good friend and it's a memory we will both remember, as he was there as we recovered the potentially injured cat in the dark.

So in appreciation I am going to have the lion full body mounted and take a front claw and have a pendent made by a jeweler like they do with elk teeth. I'll give it to him for his bday in February, and hope it's a surprise for him he will like.

Back