Kill blocks....

centerfire_223

I hear people talk about using them in contest hunts, just how big are these blocks and where do you get them?

I will be hosting a contest this year and would love to hear any suggestions from the contest hunters out here.

Thanks,

Ronnie

ok I'll be the first to admit not knowing what a kill block is.

oh is it the small blocks jammed in the mouths and taped shut? I'd guess you write the time and something else down. If this is what you're talking about just make them yourself.

they give them out for contests labeled one to how ever you want to give the hunters with zip ties. then after killing your first coyote you write the time on the block and zip tie it in the coyotes mouth. then when they turn in the coyotes at the end of the contest they check the coyotes body temp. the number should correlates with the temp of the coyotes body to keep people from cheating..

the blocks i have used have just been like a 2" by 2" by 6" piece of wood with some kind of custom number on them so you can not recreate..

If I remember correctly...they used 3/4" x4" PVC pipe at the Worlds. Two pieces of cable ties through the pipe, with one tied around the lower jaw and the other around the upper jaw. Seems like the pipe had magic marker numbers on the pipe.

Originally Posted By: rynokronDo you have put the blocks in before or after you shoot them?

Awaiting the answer to this one.

Originally Posted By: R.ShawOriginally Posted By: rynokronDo you have put the blocks in before or after you shoot them?

Awaiting the answer to this one.

Which ever is easiest...

Originally Posted By: rynokronDo you have put the blocks in before or after you shoot them?

If done before hand, it's manditory to get it on video.
grin.gif

Being a tourney hunter, I prefer the pvc kill blocks but instead of the way the do them at worlds I like them 3/4 inch diameter cut to 2 1/2 inches long and placed between the up and lower canine teeth.Then zip tie it's jaws shut. It's kinda of hard to pry open a dead yotes mouth after a few hours. It's fast and help prevents cheating. Liver temps coincide really well when the contestants write the kill date and time on them.

I have seen ping pong balls #'d used, pvc pipe, I actually liked the 1/2-or 3/4 inch pipe, easy to write on with a sharpie. I have seen all kinds of wood used...the key is to drill holes in the ends for the zip ties...make it easy for the contestants, easy to read, easy to write, and easy to attach...all good to help insure a fair contest...

Back