Kalifornia coyote hunters?

Anna

Anyone hunt northern california? Sonoma county, Mendocino county or lake county areas?

Looking for a hunting mentor. Also advice on use of the 17 hmr for yotes, gophers etc.

@anitra Sounds like your in Alameda county? Not too far away. I have folks that live in that county. What and where do you hunt?

I have called all those areas extensively when I lived out there.
The 17hmr is good for ground rats, squirrels and coyote at no more than 100 yards. There are better choices for coyote vs that 17hmr. Didn't you have a .223 or something close to that.
You going to school out there now?
Get a hold of the national forest maps for those areas and start from there.
Mendocino NF is a large place and lots of coyote...well at least back when I lived in Sonoma, Butte & Lake Counties. I had a lot of ranches around Lower lake, Upper lake, Ukiah, from Petaluma to Red Bluff.
There are more road hunters in those counties and they mostly shoot at anything that moves.

I don't have my .223 wylde or my g19 anymore. That got sold to fund moving the car to kalifornia... (even though we could have just driven it...). Yup going to school at the junior college in santa rosa. Got myself a membership at the ukiah gun club and am going to go fix the issue of lacking an arm tomorrow.

Thanks folks! Probably getting a Savage 12 .223. If its too heavy, savages are easy enough to rebarrel and I am already going to put a boyd stock on it.

Originally Posted By: AnnaYea, but sadly I moved in november. I miss CO.
Yeah, I miss California and I'm still here! We're all going to start missing our country before you know it. Grizz

Originally Posted By: Anna@anitra Sounds like your in Alameda county? Not too far away. I have folks that live in that county. What and where do you hunt?

10-4. I hunt around the east valley. Coyotes,deer and squirrel's are my favorites in that order.From October to February i'm normally shooting ducks and geese. I use the 17HMR mainly for squirrels but have killed a bunch of coyotes with it too. I do prefer the .223 for yotes

Back