Just wondering if you have a favorite rock load?

Originally Posted By: pyscodogRocks are on the endangered list in Okla.

If you come to SE OK and try to put a shovel in the ground you will find the rocks are hiding underground. They do surface and hide in the grass, and I take them out with my riding lawn mower.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI loved shooting at rocks in the Dessert, mine was with a 7 rem mag with 175g Sierra spt bt which hammered a billion year old rock real good.

what is your load?

I think most experienced guides would tell you that the 7mm Rem is a little under powered for dessert rocks. Especially big/mature ones. Also, your choice of bullets is less than ideal. Sure, you get penetration, but where's the expansion to do the damage that really sends them down for a dirt nap? Not happening with that load.

I mean, yeah, you COULD kill a rock with a .22 rimfire, but it it really sporting?

You should use more rifle and do the job properly rather than just trying to barely get by. Basically, nowdays, the .300 or .338 class is really considered by experts to be the bare minimum. Rocks aren't getting an softer, you know.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseOriginally Posted By: ackleymanI loved shooting at rocks in the Dessert, mine was with a 7 rem mag with 175g Sierra spt bt which hammered a billion year old rock real good.

what is your load?

I think most experienced guides would tell you that the 7mm Rem is a little under powered for dessert rocks. Especially big/mature ones. Also, your choice of bullets is less than ideal. Sure, you get penetration, but where's the expansion to do the damage that really sends them down for a dirt nap? Not happening with that load.

I mean, yeah, you COULD kill a rock with a .22 rimfire, but it it really sporting?

You should use more rifle and do the job properly rather than just trying to barely get by. Basically, nowdays, the .300 or .338 class is really considered by experts to be the bare minimum. Rocks aren't getting an softer, you know.

Grouse

Wow. A guy from Minnesoduh claiming expertise on desert rocks.

That load and cartridge seemed to work well for my dad for a number of years. Experience trumps guess work.

As for the advice of some of these proposed "guides", very, very few of them have even seen a rock that will make book. Much less put a hunter on one.

Travis

Originally Posted By: deflaveOriginally Posted By: The Famous GrouseOriginally Posted By: ackleymanI loved shooting at rocks in the Dessert, mine was with a 7 rem mag with 175g Sierra spt bt which hammered a billion year old rock real good.

what is your load?

Grouse

Wow. A guy from Minnesoduh claiming expertise on desert rocks.

That load and cartridge seemed to work well for my dad for a number of years. Experience trumps guess work.

As for the advice of some of these proposed "guides", very, very few of them have even seen a rock that will make book. Much less put a hunter on one.

Travis

Sonny, I've shot more USGS-rated prime rock than you'll ever even see. Igneous, sedimentary, metamorphic, I've busted them all and I've got the rock garden to prove it. I've even got the big one that I busted back in Kenya in '67.

If your guides out there in Big Lie country aren't putting clients on Boone & Rockit contenders, well, it just confirms the general decline of things out west. I mean, of all the places where there's no excuse for NOT being able to bag a decent rock every season... Of course, as always, I'm sure you blame all the non-residents for the decline in trophy numbers.

With a puny 7 MM, you might as well be throwing rocks at them. Now stop bothering me and go out and get yourself a weapon that's up to the task.

Grouse

Now look at what you have done.That was a perfect rock before you started shooting it and now it's all cracked up.

Originally Posted By: BearNow look at what you have done.That was a perfect rock before you started shooting it and now it's all cracked up.

I'm sure it was the non-residents that did that. Probably a big-money sport from New York City that couldn't hit a rock in the [beeep] with a handful of rice.

And he was probably using a 7mm Rem, so that's what happens.

Grouse

One riflebuilder I knew liked a .340Wby on rockbucks. Another guy I used to know liked to kill desert rocks with dynamite.

Back