JOHNNY STEWART GS2 GRIM SPEAKER ELECTRONIC PREDATOR CALLER

fitz

Thinking about getting one of these. Used to have a Preymaster 4 that eventually conked out. Have a Wildfire now, but had good success with the Johnny Stewart sounds and would like to have a little variety in my calling arsenal. Don't get to do too much calling and when I do it is not big open country. For 120 bucks I can get one with 15 sounds on it. What do you guys think? I know the sounds are great, but am wondering about reliability.

Not yet. Plan on getting it as I figure at that price I can't go too wrong. I will post a review when I do get it.

Hammer,

That's kind of what I'm thinking too. I have a fox pro, but it will be nice to have some JS sound in my calling arsenal.

I just bought a new Icotec gc500.According to the guys at Icotec the only difference is the remote. The caller produces very clear sounds and I have tested my remote to 110 yards and it works well . Ergonomically the call is well designed.It seems to be well made but it is clearly not waterproof. This would not be an issue so long as you don't hunt in the rain. The GC350 looks like good value for the money to me and would have met my requirements. I just took advantage of the Labor day sales and buyers club discount. I did look at the inferno and it seems to be a more robust product but it is substantially more expensive.

Just my 2 cents!!!!

Last edited:
fitz I have a crossfire it has JS sounds on it I do not know if JS sounds can be added to your wildfire or not may be worth a look into.

So I went ahead and bought the JS GS 2. Had some amazon points so I got it for 70 bucks then added 30 bucks of additional sounds. Few first impressions. Overall build quality seems a bit on the low end side. If any of you had a premaster 3 or 4, I would say build quality is in line with that or maybe just a tad better. I had both and got years of use (still have a working premaster 3 that is probably 10 years old) so build quality may not be an issue. The speaker housing is a bit bigger and boxier than I was thinking it would be. On the plus side it sounds great and is plenty loud enough. Also, the remote is quite small but I still find it a bit easier to read than my Wildfire remote. Tried it around the house out to about 30 yards and no issues. May get to try it out next Friday and going to Texas the following week so I will give a field report after that. For a hundred bucks, I think it makes for a good backup caller, with the additional benefit of having an additional variety of sounds. Still love my Foxpro, but nice to have another tool in the tool kit.

Originally Posted By: fitzSo I went ahead and bought the JS GS 2. Had some amazon points so I got it for 70 bucks then added 30 bucks of additional sounds. Few first impressions. Overall build quality seems a bit on the low end side. If any of you had a premaster 3 or 4, I would say build quality is in line with that or maybe just a tad better. I had both and got years of use (still have a working premaster 3 that is probably 10 years old) so build quality may not be an issue. The speaker housing is a bit bigger and boxier than I was thinking it would be. On the plus side it sounds great and is plenty loud enough. Also, the remote is quite small but I still find it a bit easier to read than my Wildfire remote. Tried it around the house out to about 30 yards and no issues. May get to try it out next Friday and going to Texas the following week so I will give a field report after that. For a hundred bucks, I think it makes for a good backup caller, with the additional benefit of having an additional variety of sounds. Still love my Foxpro, but nice to have another tool in the tool kit.

Thanks for the followup! Looking at the same call! I think Ill pull the plug and get it...cant go wrong for $100!

I am planning on getting myself a caller for Xmas but debating between this one and the icotec gc350 which one do you guys think is better

Originally Posted By: tmurphyhI am planning on getting myself a caller for Xmas but debating between this one and the icotec gc350 which one do you guys think is better

If you look on reviews on different sites, and editorial write ups, there is more than one editor than tested many different calls and rated the GS2 better than the icotec. Also, if you go on Amazon and look at reviews on icotec, many guys say its not loud enough. The GS2 was editor's choice in outdoor life mag, and another mag that I cant remember right now, the write ups and reviews show the GS2 better than the 350.

A couple of other things. It seems plenty loud enough. One kind of negative thing is that you need a small phillips head screw driver to replace the batteries in both the caller and the remote. Not a huge deal, but kind of baffling why they would build that into the design.

Originally Posted By: fitzA couple of other things. It seems plenty loud enough. One kind of negative thing is that you need a small phillips head screw driver to replace the batteries in both the caller and the remote. Not a huge deal, but kind of baffling why they would build that into the design.

for top end volume how does it compare to the wildfire caller you have?

So, I went and bought one. Curiosity got the best of me....

I must say, it terms of clarity/sound quality, I would give it a very good rating.
In terms of Volume, I compared it to my FoxPro Banshee from hundred yards away with different sounds, and I truly believe its every bit as loud as my Banshee, if not a touch louder. It has plenty of volume.

My only complaint for the call would be, its build quality. Its not up to par with FoxPro build quality.
It housing feels a little like cheap plastic and a little flemsy. Other than that, I think for the money, it prob cant be beat.

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerSo, I went and bought one. Curiosity got the best of me....

I

me too. but it is getting returned. not impressed with anything about it.

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerIn terms of Volume, I compared it to my FoxPro Banshee from hundred yards away with different sounds, and I truly believe its every bit as loud as my Banshee, if not a touch louder. It has plenty of volume.

if that is the case you better send that banshee in for a tune up. something very wrong with it.

my inferno is louder than the gs2. my fusion makes the gs2 sound like a baby whimpering. but that is 8 batteries for the fusion compared to 4 in gs2. so it is to be expected.

Back