Jeep hunting rig

NorthBorder

I'm wanting to get a new (to me) hunting rig. Been looking at CJ's and TJ's. How about an XJ (Cherokee). I would like to hear from you who hunt or have hunted with Jeep (or similar rig like a 4-runner or Pathfinder), and what are the pros and cons. Currently I drive an 02 Ram 2500 diesel. It is big and noisy and can be hard to turn around on mountain roads. I generally hunt the mountains of NW Montana. Thanks in advance.

XJ is about as good as it gets for a budget rig. Few potential issues off the top of my head though... They're all quite old, and old car stuff comes with the territory - seals, bushings etc. Most came with D35's in the rear, which are total C clip turds. 8.8 is a pretty easy junk yard swap though. Nowhere to carry dead coyotes outside except the roof. Unit body, not the greatest for fitting big tires and do real wheeling but there are ways to make it work - you end up putting more money into it than it's really worth though.

Still, XJ's are a great bargain rig.

- DAA

All good info ^^^^^^^^

I own a 1998 Wrangler and a 2014 Grand Cherokee. I can tell you without a doubt that a GC is NOT a good hunting vehicle. They're way too nice inside to trash up using them for hunting. You'd be better off selling it and buying something else.

The Wranglers (most any year) are possibly the best vehicle that has ever been built. Almost impossible to tear up unless you get stupid. Their only drawback is the lack of space inside, and with the soft top models you may as well just leave the vehicle unlocked all the time because security is absent.

The Cherokee was a great truck and the 4.0 motor was almost bullet proof. THIS is your best bet "IF" you can find one that isn't trashed up. I have been looking locally for a nicer example but they are few and far between.

You asked about Jeeps, but I have to throw this in: In my humble opinion a good short-bed 4x4 pickup is awfully hard to beat as a every day hunting vehicle. Just sayin ......
wink.gif

I have a 4x4 half ton truck and a Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon 4 door. The Jeep is by far the better rig for getting around in the tough stuff, but a pick up truck is a heck of a lot better if you plan on keeping the critters.

Thanks so far. I get the truck bit. I have been considering a S-10 or Ford Ranger. But I have been reading articles on line about the Jeep XJ series and they seem to be put together pretty well. But I've wanted a CJ for some decades. But it really comes down to what's the most practical or versatile.

This is how I carry the dead ones on my LJ.

IMG_1495_W.JPG

Could do something similar for a CJ or maybe even an XJ. Keeping it high, so it doesn't hurt departure angle. One of those hitch mounted deals wouldn't last a day on my Jeep, the places I take it hunting.

It can only hold five or six though. Have to stop and skin to make room at that point.

- DAA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DAAThis is how I carry the dead ones on my LJ.

It can only hold five or six though. Have to stop and skin to make room at that point.

- DAA

blink.gif
I'm happy when I get ONE!
blink.gif

I have a TJ and I really like it. It is a 2 person vehicle but that can be a good thing. It was useless with the soft top. I added the hard top with the side opening windows and it a really nice little hunting rig now. It will go anywhere that I need to go. I don't have the same problem as DAA, I never fill my rack up.

I like that side opening window. I have never seen one before. What brand is it?

Any pointers on where a side opening window like that can be obtained for a YJ?

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrI have a TJ and I really like it. It is a 2 person vehicle but that can be a good thing. It was useless with the soft top. I added the hard top with the side opening windows and it a really nice little hunting rig now. It will go anywhere that I need to go. I don't have the same problem as DAA, I never fill my rack up.

My vote would go to a Toyota or Nissan extended cab, short box with lift, for hunting a rig honestly.

I've got an '88 Wrangler YJ. And, as Hidalgo pointed out, with a soft top, security is non existent. Likewise, in NW Montana heating the soft top is truly an issue during winter too, unless you want to wear your snowmobile suit everywhere you go. Even then defrosting the windshield can be fun at times too. Hauling dead smelly critters is an issue as everyone points out, and honestly there isn't a lot of room for gear without removing the rear seat. Even then, finding someplace safe and easily accessible for your guns is kinda difficult. Console is out of mine, so coats or coveralls between the front seats allow for a makeshift gun rest. Have a set of police issue locking gunracks that I need to install yet.

A lot of Jeep issues carry over into the XJ as well.

As far as good and bad points of the Jeep itself...

-- Jeeps are notorius for rust issues, including the frame. If you buy one, check the frame closely over the rear axle to rear bumper, for frame rot. It's not an insurmountable problem, parts are available to repair them, but that's a body off, cut the frame and weld in new piece repair, which obviously requires some expertise with a welder. Jeep uses a tube frame, and typically they rust from the inside out, so catching this problem is tough until holes rot out in the frame.

-- Front axle lock is accomplished through vacuum switch attached to the transfer case linkage on most after the CJs, (later CJ7s likewise), and as vacuum hoses age, and the switch and actuator ages, those can be problematic also. Manual lock kit is available through Posi-Lok, runs $150 - $200, removal of the old garbage and installation of the kit takes 2 - 4 hours. (Depends on how nasty the lube is in your front end when you pull things apart.) Worth every penny of it, in my humble opinion!!

-- 2.5 liter 4 cylinder works great, transmission behind those in the YJ, is not the greatest! The AX 15 transmission is OK, as long as you don't push it too hard. Sychronizers have long been a problem with those transmissions as well, however. Synchro kits are available cheap on the net, problem is when you get into them, and find other parts worn, the other parts are tough to find and ridiculously priced. Rebuilt AX 15 transmissions are really stupidly priced as well. And, used AX 15 trannies, in decent shape, are tough to come by anymore.

-- 2.5 liter doesn't have a lot of power or a lot of torque, they're not bad for zipping around town, or beating around in the flatlands. In NW Montana you'll be doing a lot of 4 low to find the torque you need to climb hills, (it will dang near climb up the side of building in 4 low however), and highway speeds will be hard to maintain on uphill grades. The 4.0 liter 6 cylinder has WAY more torque and will serve you better out there in God's country.

-- 2.5 liter to 4.0 liter is not a simple engine swap, before you buy one thinking you'll just swap the engine out!! Swapping them over pretty much requires swapping engine, transmission, and transfer case. Anything YJ to present (fuel injected) will of course require computer swap as well. While there are adapters to adapt the transmisson to the transfer case in this swap, typically you're going to find complete powertrains available, where guys are doing V8 conversions, and you can pick up the entire drive train cheap enough that cost of the transfer case is inconsequential. Especially if you wheel your old one after the fact.

-- V-8 swap is cool, but be prepared to replace drive shafts and ring and pinion gears if you don't change those out right away too. If you buy one that's been swapped, be sure to get a list of ALL changes to drive train and what parts were used, it'll make repairs much simpler in the future.

-- While the 2.5 is a good engine, the 4.0 is notorius for 250 - 300 thousand mile engine life. Virtually indestructable!!!

-- Lift kits are available - 2, 3, 4 inch suspension lifts are relatively cheap, 2, 3 inch body lifts likewise. More than that on the suspension most guys go to spring over lifts, because it's cheaper, which gives you 7 inches alone + the above listed kits.

-- Anything bigger than 33 inch tires, you need to start thinking about changing gears in the front and rear to accomodate the lack of torque on the CJ, YJ, TJ, and XJ.

http://www.jeepforum.com/ - Anything and everything you ever wanted to know about jeeps asked and answered there.

All that being said... I dearly love the YJ. It isn't quiet, it isn't pretty, it rattles and creaks, and roars, the top flaps mercilessly in anything over the lightest of breezes going down the road. If you hate road noise, it is definitely not your ride!! It doesn't have a lot of power, lifted it is a pain in the [beeep] to get in and out of, without steps. But, damm is it fun to drive!!!

Currently have 3 xjs, a Commander and some other vehicles. My daily is a 2000 xj that is mint. It's a bit small for extended long drives but goes anywhere. Actually most of them came with a corp 8.25 rear axle and D30 front. Coupled with the aw4 auto trans and they are nearly bullet proof. Goes anywhere I would take it. Check out " 20 vehicles that just won't die "....they are on most any list and they haven't been made for 16 years.
Mine all have the 4.0 And no they suck for gas mileage.
Not one of mine has rust anywhere and aftermarket stuff is everywhere

Last edited:
Bullet proof- I have heard that term used a lot about the 4.0L engine, and from friends who know such things. I test drove a tj yesterday and was impressed with how much road noise there is. Thanks Rocky for info on the rust issues. I think I have heard that before, also. I think for anything other than a truck I may try to find a Cherokee. But I think I will look at a small truck first. I hear good things about Chevy's 4.3 Vortec.

Jeeps are great, I have a 83' CJ-7 Loredo, has some goodies on it but the leaf ride is horrible. But my hunt vehicle is a 2003 Chev Avalanche with a 4" suspension lift, has the 4L80, rear 12 bolt with Summer bros. 36 spline axles with stock gears. I just recently finished an engine swap from the gutless 5.3 Vortex 280 Hp to an ATK crate 505 Hp 6.0 ltr. LS-3...I run two spares, long jack and shovel. Changing motors was the best thing ever, and actually get the same gas mileage as the tired struggling 5.3 ltr. Best hunt vehicle I've ever had!! Plus the rear bed enclosure keeps all my gear from any elements, I also can stand on the bed covering for a slight height advantage. Don't think I'll be getting rid of it anytime soon!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yammerschoonerI like that side opening window. I have never seen one before. What brand is it?

Any pointers on where a side opening window like that can be obtained for a YJ?

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrI have a TJ and I really like it. It is a 2 person vehicle but that can be a good thing. It was useless with the soft top. I added the hard top with the side opening windows and it a really nice little hunting rig now. It will go anywhere that I need to go. I don't have the same problem as DAA, I never fill my rack up.

I bought my top from BullDawg MFG. They do not offer a top for the YJ on their website. You could call them, maybe they have expanded their line, I don't know. 844-803-0789.

Rally Tops makes them with side windows that open too. Not sure about the YJ, but you can google "rally tops" and likely find out.

- DAA

Last one was built on the Cherokee platform. This one uses the Wrangler undercarriage.

And the market has changed tremendously over the years. Trucks are much more popular now.

Back