J-lock start?

coleridge

I believe Remington stopped at the end of the 04 models (?). What year did it start. Having a friendly augment about it.

Thanks!

Is the J-lock bolt lock not being made anymore... I bought a .221 fireball Classic, and it was the first one I had seen... I hated the damn thing - I had a spare Rem firing pin unit so I replaced it.

It would be nice if the XR-100 I have on order doesn't have one of those damn things.

I thought the "J-lock" was that dumb lock in the end of the bolt/firing pin...
... but I called Remington, and it's just a removable trigger lock (my dealer gives them away for free - it's our state law)

Remington says that the J-lock was introduced in 2002, and they began phasing them out in early 2005. That's the word from the horse!

CatShooter.

Last edited:
I have a 22-250 that is minty condition and it was made in 1972 and it has the J lock....I suppose I should say that it use to have the J lock , a little trimming with the Dremel Tool and it's now disabled.
All the J locks are now disabled on the other 7 Rem.'s now also.

Quote:
I have a 22-250 that is minty condition and it was made in 1972 and it has the J lock....I suppose I should say that it use to have the J lock , a little trimming with the Dremel Tool and it's now disabled.

I think you might have the J-Lock confused with the bolt lock/bolt open safety feature on the 700's. Two different things.

The J-lock bot shroud feature was still around until late 2005 on rifles hitting dealer shelves. I'm not sure just when it began, but it was only maybe 5 years at most.

-BCB

My brother just bought a brand new Rem 700 VLS in 204. It has the J-Lock. So I'm thinking rem still put them on rifles last year maybe.

When did Rem start making the 204 Rugers?

Quote:
Quote:

I think you might have the J-Lock confused with the bolt lock/bolt open safety feature on the 700's. Two different things.

The J-lock bot shroud feature was still around until late 2005 on rifles hitting dealer shelves. I'm not sure just when it began, but it was only maybe 5 years at most.

-BCB

Well I guess your are right there BCB, but what is wrong with the J-Lock? What is it's purpose?

coyote control:

The answer might be right above your post. The firing pin spring on the J-lock rifles was too long and bunched up and not uniform throughou its length and it scraped the sides of the bolt interior wall.

Any new rifle bought today with the J-Lock is an older rifle that's been in the distribution system for awhile - maybe 2004 or early/mid year 2005. A good example of the time frame when the J-lock was done away with was the appearance of the SPS (no J-Lock), which replaced the ADL synthetic (with j-Lock), on dealer shelves.

-BCB

Yep,
The J-lock was the worst thing that could happen to one of the best fire control systems, the 700.
Thankfully Remington has seen the error of their ways and done away with it. That saves $50-$80 for everyone buying a 700.(The cost of replacing it.)

Jack

I can see how some guns can sit in purgatory for a while. I'm sure they are guns that were made several years back still waiting for there first owner. Yes BCB good examples are the ADL's still around (not many gun shops you go in doesn't still have a new one on the shelf). That makes this question even harder to answer.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif Not to be repetitive, but, when did they start? I guess the best way to look at it is see when the Classic (1 year production) first appeared with the J-lock.

That's were my augment started. I have a Classic in .223Rem (2000 model) and it does not have the J-lock. However, I bought this rifle off the used rack (although I couldn't tell if it had ever been shot) someone could have replaced the lock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif????

Anybody got one of these classics they bought new without the lock? That may answer our /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif...
1996 - .375 H&H Magnum
1997 - .280 Remington
1998 - 8mm Remington Magnum
1999 - .17 Remington
2000 - .223 Remington
2001 - 7mm-08 Remington
2002 - .221 Remington Fireball
2003 - .300 Savage
2004 - 8mm Mauser (8x57mmS)
2005- 308 Win

None of the several 700's I bought in '01 had them. Both of the Classic .221's I bought did (for about ten minutes...). Those Fireball Classic's were WAY late in coming out though. I had mine ordered for almost a year before they showed up.

- DAA

I bought a M700 LSS 338 RUM in 2002 had it has the dreaded J-lock. It is a real turn off for me. I have thought of replacing the bolt shroud but have never done it.

Regards,

JD338

Prety sure the J-lock came out in 2002. My 700 classic .221FB had it before I swapped it out for a regular shroud & speed lock type assembly. After glass bedding its a tack driver. I kinda wish barrel was about 3" -4" shorter. May have is cut down & recrowned someday.

The j-lock is an easy fix, only negative is the added $45 - $50 for replacement part. I should mention, the rifle shot fine with the lock & I don't get any better groups without it, just a personal thing for me.

HS

Last edited:
My hunting buddy bought a 700 classic NIB, 7-08 in 2001 & it did not have one. Maybe all of them wern't fitted with the lock.

Last edited:
I have a 700 BDL in .243 that I bought new in January of 2002 and it has the lock..It shoots just fine and I've never bothered to engage the thing. A couple weeks ago I bought a NIB 700 Classic in .223 made in 2000 and it has no lock. Looks to me like 2001 may be the year of the J-lock.

Coyote 6974

Back