Ivermectin with praziquantel paste

drifter01

This guy told me he uses about one inch of paste under dogs tounge. Have any of you guys used this? They sell it at agway and tractor supply in farm section. THanks

Would probably work, but...

Quick internet search for the product turns up the same essential product available for dogs in chewable tablets.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalVeter...s/ucm051414.pdf

If you note there, the dosage varies dependent upon weight of the dog. Not sure the 1 inch of horse wormer paste under the tongue is that scientifically pure. If I liked my dog I'd look closely at the difference in cost of the wormers.

I'm guessing the other guy has SEVERAL dogs wherein he can treat everything in the pen for the cost of one horse wormer, at some savings. It may in fact be cheaper to buy the dog wormer, dependent upon how many dogs you have.

I have used it since it came out and it works great. I don't put it under the tongue, it's hard enough just getting it in their [beeep] mouth.

I use Ivomec injectable. Its pretty touchy, if you use too much, you can blind your dog (usually temporary) and if they have a heart worm the dog will drop deader than a stone within an hour, but if that's the case, they weren't going to last long any how. The good thing is that it gets EVERY THING, and lasts up to 6 months depending on the conditions.

I used injectable ivermec for years, two problems, my supplier quit carring it, and It doesn't kill tape worms.
I switched to "zimecterin gold" Horse wormer.
1.5% ivermectin,7.75% praziquantel. I give a 100# dose to any and every dog on the place.(regardless of size).
One time had a bad deal, and gave a dog a 500# dose, she had no ill effects, never even went off feed. That was about 3 months ago. Maybe there will be a long term effect, but nothing yet.
A good point was made, about number of dogs.
The more dogs you have, the more it cost to take care of them.If you have one dog, you can afford to get the same stuff in a "pill", for around 20$a dose,from a vet.
When you are worming 20+ dogs, you want same protection, but at a reduced cost.I am paying 1.10$ per dose
Thats why most of us use "alternate" wormers. Duane

Thanks ,I was getting pills from vet,cost to much. Started off with two dogs and some how I got twelve now .You can try jeffers pet.com for injectable ivermec, a guy I know gets his there.

Duane, I didn't know it doesn't get tape worms! Thanks for sharing. My biggest problem here is hook worms. I have been fighting them for years. I have even moved all my dogs, and covered the area I keep them with lime, and put them back after a week, and still have trouble. Most wormers, if I miss the re-dose date by a week, I can see them go down hill fast, and then I have to worm them about every 4 days for two weeks to really get them cleaned up. The ivomec seems to last a lot longer,and don't have to double back if I get to them too late.

I was told that with the ivomec, if given a dose every month, it will kill any heart worm larva that the dogs may pick up from mosquitos. Anyone know if there is any truth behind this?

Jesse, I have been told that it doesn't get the tape either for that realson I to give the Zirmectin Gold, but I only give it when worming for tapes, I don't give it to young pus either.
The Ivermectin I give once a month. And I heard it will take care of the Heart worms too, also tick and fleas. Not sure how true it is.

Devin69 I too give the injectable ivermetcrin to my dogs once a month, they say it will prevent heart worms but not treat them, and if given in a monthly dose is supposed to help with flicks and teas ......as far as what Jesse Lackey said I don't know about it killing ya dog dead if they have heartworms?? Haven't ever heard that one, I recently lost a 10yr old blue male to cancer and the vet said he had heartworms too.....and I'd been giving.him Ivermec since I got.him when he was two? So as I said earlier its supposed to prevent them not defiantly, and who knows how long he had em and the monthly dose never killed him

I have been wrong before, but only once! Lol. A few years back, I wormed a buddys dogs for him, and two of them dropped dead in 20 min, I paid for an autopsy, and the vet told me that the dogs both had heart worms, and the ivomec killed the worms, and they clogged their hearts, and caused them to die. Maybe he was wrong, I don't know, but I'm going with it. As far as fleas and ticks, I don't have a problem with fleas, but am over run with ticks, the ivomec does seem to help quite a bit, as a backup I use Purple Cobra Insecticide Ear tags for cows. (No don't tag the dogs ears) just fold tag over collar, and punch through its self. Works great.

Ive been using bovine ivomec for 30 years on labs and pointers. 1cc per 100 lbs. I put it on a piece of bread to minimize the dog slobbering it out. Never had a dog with heartworms. Ive been told not to give this to collies or cowdogs breeds though. It will definately kill a dog with adult worms.

Been using ivomec on my aussie for years without a problem. As was stated a dose on bread is far easier. Heck, when my daughter was raising show rabbits, a drop on a gloved finger rubbed on the nape of the neck worked great on them too.

I too give the same dose amount 1/10thcc for every 10 pounds, and I too have heard that it is deadly for collies, but that's something to keep in mind on the heart worms. I wander how the heartworm meds get rid of em if ya caint just kill em out right case they stop up the heart? But its always good to keep collecting useful info such as this when taking.care of my best friends that love and desire to do nothing other than what I want em to do, so I gotta return the favor and take.care of them to the best of my abilities.

Joker, I have never used them on small pups, I'm sure you could though. If you are in doubt, go ahead and cut one down, and just use a piece of it. Also make sure to put the cone shaped keeper facing out away from the dog, or it will rub raw spots on their neck.

I dont know this for fact but believe it is safe to kill the heartworm anytime but after they reach adult which is wwhen they are in the heart, which takes about 6 months from being bit by the mosquito to larvae then adult. For this reason some dog men I know who also use the bovine ivomec only give it every couple of months.

You nailed it muddydog, that's why its so important to get them on some sort of a heartworm regiment and keep to it. Especially in mosquito heavy areas. I have heard that Mississippi is a real bad area for heart worms.

Back