Is night hunting legal in your state? Roll Call!

Butchtango- Not to go against what you said but if you read the rule carefully you can hunt at night anytime without the aid of artificial light here in missouri and then it says this rule does not apply to land owners or leases residing on the land they are leasing.

TN is a big NO! They're afraid we'll poach deer or something like that, I guess. Doesn't stop the poachers, but sure does keep the predator population in abundance.

RB

In Idaho, it's kind of a pain in the butt. I have a spotlighting permit, but I can only use it outside of other game seasons. I also have to call in to Fish and Game a day ahead of time to tell them where I'll be hunting as well as the kind of vehicle I'll be in. I haven't had any luck yet. One thing I find is that the spotlights don't stay charged long, and I can't shoot from my vehicle (I don't think) or I'd charge it in the cigarette lighter. Kind of not worth it except my son gets a charge out of it, so I'll probably keep at it for him.

Quote:
TN is a big NO! They're afraid we'll poach deer or something like that, I guess. Doesn't stop the poachers, but sure does keep the predator population in abundance.

RB

Pretty much the same reason I've been given here in OK..

Quote:
Maryland is legal but no shooting from a vehicle whether its moving or not. Night vision is also legal to use in Maryland. Cannot "alight"{jumpout} from a vehicle either and shoot. Law specifies you must be on foot. It is illegal to "cast the rays of an artificial light on a field for the purpose of observing deer" at any time...which means you can get a ticket for turning around in a vehicle at night and letting the headlights sweep across a field!!! Only other legal way to shine a light on a field at night in Maryland other than a legal night hunt for coon, oppossum or fox is to own livestock and prove you are looking at them for some reason. Wasn't always this crazy but we have had alot of poaching. In 2002 I got a ticket for "spotlighting without a firearm" while looking for a bird dog on my own farm that got out of his kennel!! I had my 4 year old daughter in the truck with me and showed the gamewarden the empty kennel. Cost me $50.00

I just wanted to add a point or two here:

In MD, coyotes are legal to hunt at night and with a light from Oct 14-Mar 14, 2009. The rest of the year coyotes are open only 1/2 hr before sunrise and 1/2 hour after sunset.

Most hunting is closed here on Sundays, however groundhogs and nutrias are OK and some deer on private land by the owners.

As to lights, here is the 2008-09 regs quote:

"UNLAWFUL TO: Cast the rays of an artificial light from a vehicle on woods, fields,
orchards, livestock, wild mammals or birds, dwellings or buildings.
However, in Baltimore City, Montgomery and Prince George’s
Counties, a person may cast the rays of an artificial light from a
vehicle for the sole purpose of observing or photographing wildlife
until 9:00 P.M. A person may not have a weapon in his possession
while casting rays of artificial light. Note: coyote, fox, opossum, or
raccoon may be hunted on foot at nighttime during open season
with the use of a dog or light, or both."

Two counties, Dorchester and Charles, have year-round fox seasons, both reds and greys, so presumably lights are legal there when fox hunting. (I'm not sure why those counties are open all year but I'm curious about it.)

Here's more from the regs:

"The use of artificial light and/or dogs is permitted while hunting
coyote, fox, opossum, or raccoon on foot. Coyote, fox, opossum,
and raccoon can be hunted with the aid of electronic calling
devices. Daytime and nighttime hunting for fox is permitted during
the legal harvest season for foxes except Sundays. Coyote can
be hunted at night during the period specified in the furbearers
seasons and bag limits chart. At all other times of the year, coyote
may only be hunted during the legal daylight shooting hours."

Nj allows night hunting for a season that runs from around the 3rd week of jan to the 3rd week of feb for coyotes and fox with a special 2 dollar permit. Lights are legal shot gun only. oct. first racoons and posums season opens till around the end of feb.

Quote:
Thank God there is a Nevada.

Not all of Nevada is legal to night hunt , and NONE of Nevada is legal to shoot from a vehicle or road.

Back