Is it slow where you are?

Laffin! I knew you guys had, shall we say, perhaps not seen exactly eye-to-eye on a few things in the past. Was it you or Miz Kiz that went whack-a-mole on one of their collared furry friends? But I wasn't aware relations had degraded to the point you describe. Quite possibly they think you and your ilk are the problem (heh, heh, heh).

I have played a part in their losing not one, but TWO of their precious research subjects. Called up the first one for Miz Kiz a couple of years ago and another one for my buddy last October. Many of the places I hunt border that place, so I have definitely also dwindled their pool of potential "volunteers".

They are only open to the public for one day every two years. Last time, Miz Kiz and Kiz Jr. went "undercover" to see the place and hear what they said about coyotes. When they told the crowd that coyotes can't be called up, my crew just snickered.

Well, I talked to someone at the state who told me that this spring there was a bad canine distemper outbreak in the county adjacent to my place on the river with the 800 calves.

Well crap.
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, but even Randy Anderson or Byron South can't compete with distemper, so I sure can't.

Oh well, this should make for a good bobcat season when it finally opens Dec. 1.

Slow in my area, rabbit population crashed which decimated the Lynx and didn't help the coyotes any. Winter hasn't shown up yet this year which only make it worse. It will get better Winter will show up soon.
thumbup1.gif

I primarily hint at night I have not seen a rabbit that I can remember. I live near a lake so water should not be an issue, I have however seen a couple of squirrels in the neighbors pecan orchard this year which is a first. Same as Kizmo sirens go by and no howls anymore but I am seeing more foxes than I have in the past.

Went on a deer hunt this weekend, but first night after we came in made 3 stands total about 5 miles from #1-#3. Saw 5 deer, 4 possums, 2 raccoons and a bobcat that crossed the road in front of us. Did not see or hear a single coyote or fox. One of the guides told us that, in addition to the distemper outbreak, there has been a parvo outbreak in the same area recently.

Woopee.

Hoping this makes for a good bobcat season, because that appears to be all I have to hunt.

I hateyotes, I saw a rabbit from the deer stand this morning.

I think things are looking up I have seen possums first time in the 3 years I have hunted at night and tonight the first rabbit I have seen day or night in years. I heard several answer my howls on the shockwave around 3am they did not come in but at least I know they are in the area. The deer sleep in the pastures around my house and that is a first this year. I suspect the area was over populated with coyotes as I killed a couple dozen in the last 2 years in the pastures around my house.

Made a few stands here in SE Colorado so far since October; not having any luck. Get them to respond but not close the gap.
Just happy to get out & make the effort.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrFor being in Utah we've actually been doing better than normal. Killed 8 and missed 2
thumbup1.gif

What part of Utah are you in? If you ever want another eye with you I'm always game to hunt with new folks that know what they are doing. Don't mind taking you to my spots either. The wind has killed my last few hunts unfortunately.

Where are all you Utah hunters hunting? Are you accessing private property or hunting public land? What region of the state? I'm not looking for specific locations just general ideas. I know they are living where I've been hunting but as mentioned in my previous post the wind has been getting the best of my setups lately.

Originally Posted By: DAAHave not been able to get out much, but it has been red hot so far this year in my area. Averaging 6 a day so far, 27 carried back to the truck in 4.5 days hunting. That's 3 days by myself and 1.5 days with my partner. Definitely a well above average year to this point.

It normally only gets worse from mid Nov. on though, so I'm expecting a pretty dramatic decline in the average.

In regards to population crashes/disease though. A few years ago, maybe four five years? Anyway, same areas, awhile back, we had a decent season but only killed one YoY for the whole year! Absolutely unheard of. But, basically no pups killed at all that year - figure disease must have got them all while they were still in the ground. The following season was abysmal, in those areas, but normal a few hundred miles away (I usually cover a very wide swath...). And now this same area seems to be crawling with coyote more than ever.

You just have to play the cards that are dealt I guess.

- DAA
One day I hope I'm invited out with you...

Back