Is a 4-16x50 too much scope for a .223 AR calling gun? PIC added!

Quote:
I think that looks Great!!!!! But I am very partial to big scopes! I use a 5.5x22 on my AR. Red dot on top for up close. Nice Rifle

Thanks, woodnut!!

I'm still kind of thinking 3-9 or at most a 2.5-10. But we'll see... I'll run this set up for a bit after I get her dialed in, and see what happens. If all works out for the best, that means I have some extra fun money for new camo!!! Or ammo!!! Or... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Well, here she is guys...

AR223FDE.jpg

Everything feels "natural" when shouldering the rifle. Comes on target without having to "fidget" my cheek weld at all!! Seems to be a good fit other than the extra weight. The scope and mount added quite a bit in the heft department. Other than that, I think I'm good to go for testing, targeting and field trials!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Still seems HUGE for the rifle, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I'd be interested in how your testing comes out. It's certainly much lighter than my P-dog rig shown below. I also have the FastFire side mount for close up shots and runners. I would not want to pack it very far though. This baby will rip through a P-Dog town in short order. I can usually hammer 20 dogs before my partner gets 6 shots off.

I see you have the scope eye-piece even with the charging handle. The Mueller's 3 inch eye-relief, and what looks like a shorter pull stock, makes that work pretty well. I would start with the scope set on 4X and the objective set for 100 meters. Make yourself a chart for mil-dot drops at max and min magnification. The Mil-Dot master is a good investment as well. The Mueller is a pretty fair scope and they stand behind them on the life-time warranty. I had a problem with my first one and they replaced it in one week.
FastFire1.jpg

FastFire3.jpg

I have the Mueller on my 308 Heavy Varminter
Howa1500STHV308WIN-3.jpg

Hi Jim...

You may not remember, but we talked moons ago about your side mounted Fastfire set up... That was before I started buying Larue mounts I think...

I'm studying mils as we speak!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif And will certainly have my dope down for this gun. It's a bit confusing, but I think I'm starting to get the handle on it. Way too much math!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'd like to be able to do the calc manually, before brining in "tools" like the Mil Master, just so I have a more secure knowledge of what the heck I"m doing...

I don't have much trigger time on this paticular gun and I'm still working on finding it's "sweet spot" for loading. With it's 1:9 twist SS barrel, my "go to" 55gr V-Max's have shot "okay", but I know there's more accuracy to be had here. I have bullets both lighter and heavier, a few flavors of powder and will be a loading fool before she really gets put to the test.

Although it is very comfortable, I'm just a tiny bit "cramped" with the scope set back where it is. The extended version of the mount would have been the better choice allowing me more of a "NTCH" hold. Alas... This mount is all I had "in stock"...

Thanks for the advice on where to start with the scope. It's already in my notes and will be coming to the range with me very soon. And then it's... Yodel dog beware!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

That's one bad AR! I'm just starting to trick my three I bought since the election! I CANNOT find a Magpul polymer mag anywhere......Here on the east coast, metal mags is all I can find! Nice gun dude! gobblr addict

Quote:
That's one bad AR! I'm just starting to trick my three I bought since the election! I CANNOT find a Magpul polymer mag anywhere......Here on the east coast, metal mags is all I can find! Nice gun dude! gobblr addict

Thanks, G.A.!!

Working on 3? You have a bad case of BRD my friend!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

As far as the mags... The Pmags are a bit hard to come by, but they are out there. Just gotta find them at a decent price. Oh yeah... Check your message box... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Right now I use a 3 - 9 Nikon Monarch, but am actually thinking of going to a Burris Signature 1.5 - 6x scope with a 40 mm objective lens. I have never needed more than 6x when calling and sometimes the 3x is a little too much when calling in tighter areas.

Back