Is 25-06 big enough for elk?

I shoot a 25-06 for elk here in Wyoming. I shoot a 117 grain bullet at max powder load and have never had a problem yet. As lock as I can put it where it needs to be I have nothing to worry about.

A new Cooper 25-06 should be here in a few days. Don't doubt the 25's credentials, but as a nu-bee elk hunter I think I'll take my 280 Remington this fall.

Axis deer in TX may be the first 25-06 target.

if you got the time to wait for the shot thats just rite sure
if however you are on a week or 10 day hunt or have a shot that is less than perfect get a bigger cal,.,, mass matters

with the country elk live in you want it to dump in its tracks or it will run to the nastiest spot on the mountain making the pack much harder.
i have went to the 300 mag for that reason.
with that said i also hunt them with a bow when i draw my elk here but its different country and can generally get the truck or four wheeler to them.
down in encampment its so rugged you want them drt.
the point is some places you need the big guns

I have killed 4 cow elk and 2 bull elk with a .25-06 either in neck or double lung. from ranges or 50 yards to 300 plus.
I think it is a perfect rifle for elk.
my wife uses a .243 for elk and has taken 3 cows with it.

we use Nosler Partitions and do wonders on lungs and don't even twitch when shot in neck.
Thousands of multi-year elk hunters agree with you, including those of decades past who harvested cows and the biggest bulls with 87 grain partitions from the then new 25-3000 calibre Savage lever actions. Some areas in the Rocky Mountain states & Canuck provinces didn't take an new elk hunter seriously unless a fella had one of these new 25 calibre Savages in the crok of his arm. Then Remington made the wildcat 25-06 an official cartridge, and it was even better than Savages 25-3000.

Look up the noted Texan Sportsman - Russell Thornberry, and his vast successful hunting prowess with his beloved 25-06 for a strong endorsement of using 115 grain Nosler Partitions and the clean shot pass-throughs he experienced consistently with this great hunting cartridge.

And, and, note the super nice mild recoil and distinctive 'pufff' report of this efficient bullet.

As one of Mr. Thornberry's hunting articles is head-lined "In Praise of the 25-06"!

Cheers Pilgrims..!!!

with a properly placed shot at the right distance yes, you can kill an elk with 25-06. elk are tough as nails had a friend shoot one with a 30-06, less than perfect shot. we trailed that cow to the top of the mountain and all we found was a gut bag. A fellow on the ridge finished her off. I've killed several with a crossbow @ about 55yds. Personally I always hunted with something bigger like a .338 Win Mag however, I hunted griz country and wanted enough gun for the griz. I'd probably choose a .300 Win Mag, I don't like tracking or loosing one. Here's an article for you to read. Elk Cartridges

Back