IRay MH25

It is a matter of fact that different objects with different material chemical compositions have vastly varying thermal emissivitys from 0-100, and whatever thermal emissivity these materials do have based on their chemical composition constantly varies on a diurnal cycle, not to mention there are no uncooled thermal microbolometers that are unaffected by water vapor humidity in the atmosphere.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupIt is a matter of fact that different objects with different material chemical compositions have vastly varying thermal emissivitys from 0-100, and whatever thermal emissivity these materials do have based on their chemical composition constantly varies on a diurnal cycle, not to mention there are no uncooled thermal microbolometers that are unaffected by water vapor humidity in the atmosphere.

I prefer and use DU and Skinneys method, but thanks for that explanation, I'm sure that'll help everyone reading this post.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupIt is a matter of fact that different objects with different material chemical compositions have vastly varying thermal emissivitys from 0-100, and whatever thermal emissivity these materials do have based on their chemical composition constantly varies on a diurnal cycle, not to mention there are no uncooled thermal microbolometers that are unaffected by water vapor humidity in the atmosphere.

I'm sure the above is true. I don't go balls to the wall on foot, in locations I don't know while I'm using thermal, heck I don't do it while I'm using NV, I don't even use my 40" lightbar on the front of my truck to navigate through terrain I'm not familiar with at high speeds, it's just not smart.

However, I honestly do use thermal a lot of the time to navigate at night with no artificial light of any kind or NV, not all of the time but for me definitely the majority of the time , it's just a fact, and who ever says it can't be done or that I'm talking BS, or that I'm misinforming people, is not telling the truth to those that I speak with about how I hunt.

I have never used a cooled microbolometer, so yes I can tell you from personal experience many, upon may variables affect my visual at night, sometimes the mildest ground wind blows enough debris across my visual to impact it, yet in the same exact circumstance at the same exact time, I'll float up the Zenmuse and it will be crystal clear looking down. Absolutely high humidity has a negative effect on visibility and detection range, most of the time when it's that bad for us its usually snowing, or foggy enough that by the time you pull out your NV it's blown out due to illumination either way, so we wait for conditions to clear up, or we don't proceed.

I also do use the KVC with Thermal on my Left and NV on my right eye, I've gotten really used to that set up and it works great for switching options if you need to or want to.

I would like to make note on my last post about not being able to use IR because it's an artificial light source, we can use those to navigate, I misspoke.

Images also do not "FUSE" while wearing both to dispel that fake brain fusion news as well. What one can do is turn the gain down on your PVS-14 but this is NOT a true fusion device such as a PSQ36,41 etc.

To the others, DO NOT USE THERMAL TO NAVIGATE OVER OBSTACLES, ETC., THIS PRACTICE WILL GET YOU HURT ONE DAY IN A HURRY. As mentioned we train for a living with this stuff and MANY have tried these tricks years before with things like the SKEETER IR BEFORE they were even available to the public and commercial dealers. Recently the SKEET IR became available due to an over contract and we laughed as soon as these became available we would see start seeing people saying this or that with navigating and fused images. [beeep] we could have sold a [beeep] ton early on false advertising with fused dual image with a PVS-14, (but some others are doing it now) as we project several years ago. Funny how that works...

There is a reason the Mil who have access to thousands Skeet IR's and PVS-14's don't wear thermal and NV together, nor navigate just with thermal. It's a dangerous standard and practice period. I get open space stationary looks with thermal is fine but to preach thermal is somehow safe navigate over obstacles, barbed wire stuff, uneven terrain is someone trying to "sell" more thermal.

Also do NOT drive while wearing thermal as well, such as quads, etc. Yea training evolves and so does tactics and movements but the technology of a NON-Cooled array thermal on ones melon will never ever change it's FOV and depth perception with the current systems offered. This is NOT a good practice at all. My guess, we'll start seeing a "few" profess driving their quads with thermal next and somehow this is ok....
frown.gif

I can stealthy ride my mountain bike at night with my PVS-14 helmet mount down the 28 miles of cleared forest roads on my property without any problem what so ever.

Try the same thing with M300W, Snipe IR, or M-24 all 640 uncooled cores and I cannot been make it 50 feet, and that is with no obstacles to worry about, it’s just that my sense of balance is so negatively disturbed by the 2-D thermal image with lack of depth/ distance perception that it is impossible....

PS, if you have never tried a cooled InAs microbolometer in upper mid-wave IR, you are really missing out big time.

A 320 InAs Cooled core beats a 640 Uncooled VOx core by about 50X.

A 640 InAs Cooled core totally turns night into day out ten plus miles.....Probably 500 times better than any uncooled VOx core, plus absolutely zero effect of water vapor, goes right through dense fog!

Originally Posted By: SkyPupI can stealthy ride my mountain bike at night with my PVS-14 helmet mount down the 28 miles of cleared forest roads on my property without any problem what so ever.

Try the same thing with M300W, Snipe IR, or M-24 all 640 uncooled cores and I cannot been make it 50 feet, and that it with no obstacles to worry about, it’s just that my sense of balance is so negatively disturbed by the 2-D thermal image with lack of depth/ distance perception that it is impossible....

This...And SP is a brave man even to attempt this! This is no BS guys.

As mentioned we could sell a crap ton more thermal but I refuse to advertise this marketing ploy of dual fused image of a skeet and 14 and also advertise it's ok to navigate and ditch the analog, but when get asked about it, you will hear "well it works well for some that way".
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: SkyPupIt is a matter of fact that different objects with different material chemical compositions have vastly varying thermal emissivitys from 0-100, and whatever thermal emissivity these materials do have based on their chemical composition constantly varies on a diurnal cycle, not to mention there are no uncooled thermal microbolometers that are unaffected by water vapor humidity in the atmosphere.

I prefer and use DU and Skinneys method, but thanks for that explanation, I'm sure that'll help everyone reading this post.

Basic low level introductory thermography, a little bit goes a long way to improve your game, what you do not know never contributes to the hunt.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupPS, if you have never tried a cooled InAs microbolometer in upper mid-wave IR, you are really missing out big time.

A 640 InAs Cooled core totally turns night into day out ten plus miles.....Probably 500 times better than any uncooled VOx core, plus absolutely zero effect of water vapor, goes right through dense fog!

This would be interesting to use in some of our conditions where humidity can hinder performance, just to look through none the less... When FLIR was out, they were able to show me footage of cooled core cameras, reading license plates from close to a hundred yards away, pretty neat stuff.

I think I'll continue to use my Helmet mounted thermals to get into sets, though. If I step in a hole and sprain my ankle I'll be sure and report here that thermal nav is no longer safe for myself or my team.

I'm going to enjoy putting out the review of the NV/Thermal helmet set up and how I use it.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: SkyPupPS, if you have never tried a cooled InAs microbolometer in upper mid-wave IR, you are really missing out big time.

This would be interesting to use in some of our conditions where humidity can hinder performance, just to look through none the less... When FLIR was out, they were able to show me footage of cooled core cameras, reading license plates from close to a hundred yards away, pretty neat stuff.

I think I'll continue to use my Helmet mounted thermals to get into sets, though. If I step in a hole and sprain my ankle I'll be sure and report here that thermal nav is no longer safe for myself or my team.

I'm going to enjoy putting out the review of the NV/Thermal helmet set up and how I use it.

I'm sure your free gear dealer of choice will be proud of the promo! ;-)

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCOriginally Posted By: skinney

I'm sure your free gear dealer of choice will be proud of the promo! ;-)

I hope so also, A lot of work and time go into our field work, as well as videography, I enjoy working with various businesses. Our Rifles should be finally through the prototype stages and all the tweaks worked out so we can get some reviews of those also!
I would love to post them up here for other fellas to enjoy, and possibly gain more information, unfortunately I went from being a sponsor, to moderator, to now not being able to mention any manufacturers of equipment I use to hunt predators. I still enjoy being here, and seeing different POV though! I get thorough amusement however when I'm being told, I can't do what I'm doing with the gear that I'm using and yet I'm doing it quite successfully!
I cordially invite you or skypup to travel up here, I have a cabin you can stay in free of charge, bathroom, wifi, and heck even give you access to the hottub out the front porch, and we'll go make a few sets, I'll show you how I use the gear I do, and maybe you fellas can inform me some pointers and increase my knowledge base, I'm 100% open to more info based on hands on learning. Just be sure and bring gloves and some toe warmers, cause were gonna do it when the temp is sub zero!

Or you could have done training last weekend at Vortex's multi million dollar indoor traing facility where we teamed up for an amazing night vision class. No they didn't get any free gear or vice versa, but learning did occur (thanks Pat Rogers RIP) on what gear works best for the night time along with some great NV and firearms training.

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCOr you could have done training last weekend at Vortex's multi million dollar indoor traing facility where we teamed up for an amazing night vision class. No they didn't get any free gear or vice versa, but learning did occur (thanks Pat Rogers RIP) on what gear works best for the night time along with some great NV and firearms training.

I'm always open to stuff like that if my work allows! We could put on a training course here as well! It's not a multi million dollar facility, but it would gain some attraction doing a NV course in sub zero temps outdoors! I have the set up.

Back