Inexpensive Red Dot for AR?

I have long ago learned to ignore responses like this. An old axiom comes to mind: "Don't debate idiots, they will just pull you down to their level, and beat you with experience".

I don't think SHTF is defined as rifles at 24 feet or less, and I didn't read anything about a light on a rifle before it happened in his response. Unless you are on a tactical team, weapon lights are a good way to get shot, through the wall. I would never suggest anything that would get one shot through the wall.
grin.gif

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: SqueezeI have long ago learned to ignore responses like this. An old axiom comes to mind: "Don't debate idiots, they will just pull you down to their level, and beat you with experience".

I don't think SHTF is defined as rifles at 24 feet or less, and I didn't read anything about a light on a rifle before it happened in his response. Unless you are on a tactical team, weapon lights are a good way to get shot, through the wall. I would never suggest anything that would get one shot through the wall.
grin.gif

Squeeze

Squeeze: The poster said home/personal defense Your right take your own advice and dont debate yourself !!! Good god pahntr760 dumb and dumber in real life at PM ! By the way squeeze just how old are you ? Im thinking not very old because you lack any common sense....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SqueezeUnless you are on a tactical team, weapon lights are a good way to get shot, through the wall. I would never suggest anything that would get one shot through the wall.
grin.gif

Squeeze

How'd that work for Sgt Easton McDonald ?

I can't think of any reputable trainer who would argue against a weapon mounted light being used to ID at night.
thumbdown.gif

Sorry for the thread drift to the OP.

Last edited:
I've had a Bushnell TRS25 on my 12ga shotgun for a while. If it holds up to that an AR should be nothing. I also have a Vortex Strike fire specifically for AR use. I haven't used it much but it seems nice for the price.

Originally Posted By: simojoOriginally Posted By: SqueezeUnless you are on a tactical team, weapon lights are a good way to get shot, through the wall. I would never suggest anything that would get one shot through the wall.
grin.gif

Squeeze

I can't think of any reputable trainer who would argue against a weapon mounted light being used to ID at night.
thumbdown.gif

This happens a lot more than you ever hear about !!!!!! Duh,,, use a light with a pressure switch just prior to shooting for positive ID could save a life of a friend, wife, husband, daughter, Son !!!! WINK Morons....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simojoOriginally Posted By: SqueezeUnless you are on a tactical team, weapon lights are a good way to get shot, through the wall. I would never suggest anything that would get one shot through the wall.
grin.gif

Squeeze

thumbdown.gif

OK, you all sure jump to conclusions. I didn't say anything about not identifying your target, or not using a light. Just hanging one on the weapon makes the weapon and the person welding it a target. You know your home better than the intruder/s. Move in the dark, assess the threat, and then prepare to fire...Then strobe the target, ID it, and respond accordingly. I prefer to strobe the target, with the light away from my body, but do it how ever you like.

In the example cited, even police officers make mistakes under extreme pressure. He should have trained for this, or if he did, he needed to train more. Just try clearing your home in the dark...Give your kid a Nerf gun, he/she is the bad guy/s, and you use one too. Wear eye protection.
wink.gif
Tape a light to your Nerf gun, and learn why that isn't such a great idea.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: SqueezeOriginally Posted By: simojo
Squeeze said:
Unless you are on a tactical team, weapon lights are a good way to get shot, through the wall. I would never suggest anything that would get one shot through the wall.
grin.gif

Squeeze

thumbdown.gif

OK, you all sure jump to conclusions. I didn't say anything about not identifying your target, or not using a light. Just hanging one on the weapon makes the weapon and the person welding it a target. You know your home better than the intruder/s. Move in the dark, assess the threat, and then prepare to fire...Then strobe the target, ID it, and respond accordingly. I prefer to strobe the target, with the light away from my body, but do it how ever you like.

In the example cited, even police officers make mistakes under extreme pressure. He should have trained for this, or if he did, he needed to train more. Just try clearing your home in the dark...Give your kid a Nerf gun, he/she is the bad guy/s, and you use one too. Wear eye protection.
wink.gif
Tape a light to your Nerf gun, and learn why that isn't such a great idea.

Squeeze

OMG

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sight mark?

Barska?

Good lord man. When you graduate from high school and live on something besides allowance you might change your tune....

Originally Posted By: jimmypSight mark?

Barska?

Good lord man. When you graduate from high school and live on something besides allowance you might change your tune....

I will put it up against any of the high priced sheeple equipment you have any day or night on the range !!! And ya im on a budget i have 13 ar-15s OMG thats an unlucky number i need to build one more now!!!!

Last edited:
Well since I looked through hundreds of post/threads, and can't find the answer, I guess I'll ask my question here. Has anyone tried the Magpul MBUS polymer flip u sights mounted to the gas block? I read somewhere that it should not be mounted to the gas block due to heat issues with the polymer.
Just wondering if someone has real world experience with the polymer sights.

NOPE::

Specs

SPECIFICATIONS

MBUS – Front

Weight, w/ hardware: 1.2 oz.
Height above rail, stowed: ~0.51 in.
Length, stowed: 2.6 in.
Length, deployed: 1.5 in.

ELEVATION ADJUSTMENT

~1.6 MOA (1.886"/100m) per click with a 14.5" sight radius
~1.2 MOA (1.367"/100m) per click with a 20" sight radius

*NOTE: Cannot be mounted to a railed gas block due to excess heat issues. Front MBUS must be mounted to a railed fore end on the same plane as the receiver rail. Because of this the sight is also not compatible with MOE Hand Guards.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterNOPE::

Specs

SPECIFICATIONS

MBUS – Front

Weight, w/ hardware: 1.2 oz.
Height above rail, stowed: ~0.51 in.
Length, stowed: 2.6 in.
Length, deployed: 1.5 in.

ELEVATION ADJUSTMENT

~1.6 MOA (1.886"/100m) per click with a 14.5" sight radius
~1.2 MOA (1.367"/100m) per click with a 20" sight radius

*NOTE: Cannot be mounted to a railed gas block due to excess heat issues. Front MBUS must be mounted to a railed fore end on the same plane as the receiver rail. Because of this the sight is also not compatible with MOE Hand Guards.

Thanks GL, I knew I had seen basically that same info somewhere but just wondered if someone might have real world experience, I work in plastic injection so I understand the thermal dynamics, was just curious if the issue would be of concern on a hunting rifle.

Personally on a hunter I wouldn't have an issue. Low round count vs. mag dump mentality. I worked in injection molding 45 years ago and it truly is fascinating what we can do today.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterPersonally on a hunter I wouldn't have an issue. Low round count vs. mag dump mentality. I worked in injection molding 45 years ago and it truly is fascinating what we can do today.

Greg
Kinda what I felt about it, most heat would be zeroing in, after that couple of rounds at a time at most, my son has convinced me to go with a low end red dot now anyway.

molding has advanced so much in the last 5 years its almost unbelievable and now this 3D printing explosion has opened up whole new horizins

Last edited:
Bushnell TRS25 is overwhelmingly popular with the AR crowd for a budget Red Dot. I think they are about $70 on amazon and then I'd get the UTG tall mount and not use the one that comes on the higher priced TRS.

Back