I'm a newbie, so be gentle!!!

Chris623

I just purchased my first call. It's a Swift made by Carver. Never hunted coyote before. So my newbie question is: After you shoot a coyote, what do you do with it? (If this site is an example, I do know the first "required" is to take a pic and post it here!) Is the pelt worth saving? Surely the meat isn't any good for human consumption............unless you're starving. So, other than the sport of removing a predator from the gene pool, what do you do with the carcass?

Originally Posted By: Chris623So you just shoot'em and stack'em/line'em up?????

shoot em, line em up, stack em up, hang em up, skin em, dont skin em, make jerky out of em, cut em up for stew meat.

you kill em, you can do whatever you want with em.

no rules. good luck and have fun.

He-he, I don't think my little woman would eat "dog" jerky or "dog" stew! I ate dog in Vietnam, but didn't after I found out what it was!!!!!!!!! Are the skins worth the trouble to tan?

I don't honestly know if they "fur" up enough here in central Oklahoma. Never paid that much attention. Might just call'em for the sport of callin'.

You might get a few that have a good fur. But most that I shot either had mange or just not great looking coats. Have seen few good looking ones though.

Well, they do "fur up" in WY. I still use my 300 WSM on them, I care about calves not coyotes, and a 110 gr hollow point seems to be just enough gun to tip them over. You do have to wait 3-5 minutes for the parts to quit falling before you go get your pictures.

Originally Posted By: WyYoteKillerWell, they do "fur up" in WY. I still use my 300 WSM on them, I care about calves not coyotes, and a 110 gr hollow point seems to be just enough gun to tip them over. You do have to wait 3-5 minutes for the parts to quit falling before you go get your pictures.

thumbup.gif

Found out today I've a friend who has 400 acres of country property in the lower central part of Oklahoma. She's runnin' a very few cattle, but having a huge problem with yotes. Yippee!!

After my Carver Swift arrives and I learn how to use it.........and after I buy a Kill Suit from All Predator Calls, I think I've got a really good place to "join in the fun".

Last edited:
benefits of using camo can be debated until there is no longer any coyotes to kill.

limiting your movement as much as you possibly can is the best camo you can get. and it is free. a coyote can spot the slightest movement. do not move and they likely wont see you. a kill suit may help hide some of your movement if you can not hold still. lol

Having used Ghillie/kill suits for several years I'll pass some info along.
They are hot. They hold body temp in, so be ready.
They are "fuzzy." They catch every burr, stick, etc. Be ready to bring some countryside home with you.
A good face mask, set up in the shade when possible, and limiting your movement will work fine. And a kill suit will soak in odor as well. If you get one, get it in a light color, you can darken one up but you can't lighten the color.

Do you mean soak in odor as in human scent? If so, couldn't I just apply one of those masking sprays?

Oh, and I intended to buy the lighter "desert" one so I could take some camo paint and just mist stripes and splotches of slightly darker colors here and there to break up the solid tan. Anyone here on the forum do that the a Kill Suit?

Last edited:
Since you are hunting in a fairly warm climate, you may not get too many good pelts, but one piece of serious advice...Buy yourself some good rubber gloves before handling any Coyote...You don't need to be taking some of their health problems home to momma...Fleas, Lice, Ticks,etc...Then alcohol wash the gloves when you get home...

One of the old Coyote hunters, Gerry Blair, has called them in and shot them successfully wearing a Santa suit...I used to have some Camo overalls that were not allowed in the house since I used to roll in the dirt and cow manure to help hide my smell...Probably didn't need the overalls but hated to treat my street clothes in that manner....

Never discount the nose, ears, and eyes of a coyote for picking up sound and smell...as well as movement...Their survival depends on these senses...Here in FL we have impact resistant, thick hurricane windows and steel doors, my two rat terriers can still detect someone outside that is walking another dog and go ballistic for awhile, so a Coyote in open country has it even better...

For a while some members were cooking a couple strips of bacon on an old metal coffee can near their stand and claimed success...Coyotes are always hungry and cooking bacon is hard to resist...No Coyotes, than you have a snack..
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleFor a while some members were cooking a couple strips of bacon on an old metal coffee can near their stand and claimed success...Coyotes are always hungry and cooking bacon is hard to resist...No Coyotes, than you have a snack..
thumbup.gif

the old bacon trick. right on.

how you been turtle?

Back