If you had a million dollars..ok or more like $1000-$1500?

dogoncrazy

Lets say you had a budget of between 1000 and 1500 dollars. You are in the market for a GREAT scope for say a 300 RUM but would also like a long range range finder. You are setting up for long range sport shooting and some hunting. Do you A. Spend max on a scope and save for your range finder. But in the mean time borrow a friend or father in-laws range finder? If so what scope and why? or B. Buy a some what less expensive scope and also a DECENT range finder? What scope and range finder and why? Thanks for any input

I'd get a Leica CRF 1200 rangefinder.
I don't have any LR shooting experience to recommend a scope!
laugh.gif

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50 or 56.

Excellent choices of reticles, outstanding reliability and repeatability with excellent glass. Holds resale value better than just about any other scopes on the market.

+1 on the Leica 1200 @ $600.00 (although I would look into the new 1600 to see if it warrants the addl. $200.00 expense) Either way the balance of your budget should be enough to get into a decent scope.

Thanks for the input! I have been looking into a bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50mm and the above mentioned Leica 1200 or also a NIkon 1200. which would keep me in my budgeted amount BUT....The Night Force NXS 5.5-22x56 is really tugging at my heart strings! Is it true love or just a case of lust? Thats and expensive chance to take. Any experience with the Bushnell 6500's? I've shot with a friends a few times and it seems pretty good but no idea on durability

$1500 will get you a Nightforce, if not new than lightly used. With one of those you'll never have to worry about upgrade, you'll have the optic that rules the long distance game. Get by with borrowing a range finder until you can save again. Get the best upfront and be done with it.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: BusterLeupold scope and Leica rangefinder and you're well within your specified budget.

Yep. That would be the way I'd go also. Maybe a VX-3 4.5-14x40 with duplex and CDS.....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...&hasJS=true

And one of these:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=38427/Product/Leica_Rangemaster_CRF_1200

I can't argue with this at all, it's a very sound recommendation. Another option would be a U.S.O ST-10 (lightly used) and a Leica. That to would be in your ballpark. Is it a better recommendation? No...Not really, but it's another option.

Chupa

Quote:..The Night Force NXS 5.5-22x56 is really tugging at my heart strings! Is it true love or just a case of lust? Thats and expensive chance to take.

I wouldnt exactly call buying a NF NXS "taking a chance"

Its the kind of scope that outlasts the rifles its put on. My 5.5x22 has been on 3 different rigs so far.

No opinions on the elite 6500? A friend of mine swears by his. He claims he replaced the swarovski on his rifle for one. I personally have never dropped more than $300(nikon coyote being my BEST scope) on a scope and now I think its time to play with the big kids. I've worked long and hard for this cash and don't wanna regret my purchase. As for catkiller my blazer 3-9 i had is on my wall riddled with 22 holes. I "upgraded" from it to a wal mart center point on my marlin 60 and then used the blazer for a few practice shots. what a hunk of $h!t that thing was.

The 4.5-30x 6500 has very limited vertical adjustment, about 50 moa total, which won't allow you to shoot to the distance potential of the .300 RUM. If you were to go with the the 2.5-16x 6500 then you have about 80 moa total vertical thich is substantially better.

The Nightforce in comparison has 100 moa vertical for the 5.5-22x and 120 moa for the 3.5-15x.

As far as glass, the 6500 is reputed to be the equal of the 4200, which means it's quite good, but I've never heard anyone venture a suggestion that it is as good as Nightforce.

I had a 6-24x50 30mm 4200 Bushnell that was a nice scope, but I truthfully found anything above 18 power or so of limited usefulness. I sold it and were I to get another to replace it I would go with the 2.5-16x50.

IMHO, if you can swing the money to get a Nightforce you will be far happier with the performance and it'll be a much better choice overall. Also IMHO, if you go with the 5.5-22 you would be well served to get the 56mm objective.

I suggest you spend some time over at Snipers Hide in the optics section to get an education on long distance optics.

Last edited:
Stay away from the NF.It will make the others look sad. Had NF, Leupold vx3,mark4 and High end nikon shooting recently and every time we shot the NF and then picked up the others would say ,well Sh!t there is no comparison..the moment you look thru NF you go wow.I have gotten the same response from guys who have no idea of the cost of any scopes. All that glass was very nice and workable but the NF was just above and beyond.. just like its price.

Originally Posted By: CurlywoodsAgree. Unless you are stepping up to the S&B or Hensoldt league, the NF NXS series are tough to beat. Not cheap, but high value.

Do you own any of these 3 scopes? What makes the S&B and Hensoldt better than the NF?

I had a 4-16x50 Varmint S&B. It floated around several rifles before it was traded for several barrel blanks. For my eyes it had excellent image clarity and was as bright as any scope in that power range. However, it makes no sense to me to have a scope with target turrets that you need to give a good whop on the side to get the expected movement when you change the elevation or windage.
John

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: CurlywoodsAgree. Unless you are stepping up to the S&B or Hensoldt league, the NF NXS series are tough to beat. Not cheap, but high value.

Do you own any of these 3 scopes? What makes the S&B and Hensoldt better than the NF?

I own a few USO's. They are better glass and a lot tougher
than a Nightforce. But more importantly like the others mentioned they are a custom scope. You can order it the way
you want, not just what the factory offers. Are they 1000.00
better than a Nightforce, probably not. But the last 5% of
of quality is 95% of the cost in most things. jmo.

Yes I do own a NXS 5.5-22X50 with NP-R1. I have never owned the others, but I have shot rifles that they were on. Is that good enough for you or is there some hidden agenda here?
What makes them better? How about the build quality of a Rolex vs a Seiko. Turrets have a Swiss like movement, the glass is incredible with extremely limited chromatic aberration. I am not sure that I would say that they were worth the additional $1500.00+.

Sorry to have omitted the US Optics. They are indeed in the same league as the S&B and Hensoldt. And yes I have used these also for those that are curious ......

Back