If I were the devil

From what I can see, there are at least two topics here lately that have nothing to do with the OT - “predestination” and “evolution”. Note, I am just saying these two deserve their own threads. That said, I'll chime in a bit on both.

On predestination, it seems to me that a) yes, there is scriptural basis for this concept and b) we have little understanding of it.

Before I delve into any of my own ideas about the scriptural aspects, bear with me while I venture a bit into the secular, science fiction treatment. (Note, I have yet to see any actual science here save some theories such as quantum theory that speculate about the possibilities.) Is not predestination and time travel somewhat related? Science fiction often grapples with the paradox that should someone travel back in time, could they then affect events to the point where they, themselves, would cease to exist? Is not the concept of parallel universes at least loosely based on the idea that different events cause different results? Both concepts tend to lend credence to the idea of some sort of “set” time line. This does not prove nor disprove any notions of predestination but it does provide some food for thought.

How many of us have thought “If I had to do THAT all over again!” or “If I only knew then what I know now...”? Looking back on my own life and some of the decisions I have made, while I might have acted differently with different information, I'd say if I COULD go back, I would do everything exactly the same. Why? I would be acting on the same knowledge. Only a change of information/circumstances would allow for a change in outcome. My point being is we all make choices not through some mystical concept of this is the path I must follow but based on the information we have. Most of us make rational choices most of the time and those choices are based on what we know.

Now... back to “predestination”. The idea, as presented here, suggests that no matter what I do, the outcome will be the same. This is so very illogical. Suppose you are traveling north and come to a "T". Turn left and you head to California. Turn right and you head to New York. Do you really think you'll end up in the same place no matter what decision you make here? Of course not, well, most of you anyway ;-). What direction you take depends on where you want go and that decision is based on much of what has happened to you and where you are right now in your life. Much depends on decisions you made earlier in life. Yes, circumstances and decisions others made come into play. However nothing, absolutely nothing, will prevent you from turning in one direction or the other under normal circumstances. (This statement precludes the idea the there is a major accident or some other extenuating circumstance blocking one's path.) So, one indeed has the free will to make choices that determine the direction of one's life. Now, let me ask you...

If you skip to the end of a book, does that change how it ends? Does it change what happens from the first page to the last? All but the most cantankerous will recognize these questions as rhetorical. Thus I suggest that a superior being (evolution) could possibly see forward in time (quantum theory) and “know how the book ends”. For those of you who love to dismiss such ideas as “superstition” and “magic' (neither of which I myself believe in, by the way), I've added secular scientific theories that one would have to deny in order to refute my supposition.

So “predestination”, does not have have to mean our lives are written in stone but the choices we will freely make are already known. This satisfies both scripture and logic for me.

As far as the theory of evolution is concerned I'll start with two notes. First, it is called the “theory” of evolution for a reason and that reason is, it has yet to be elevated to the status of scientific law. Second, even so, said theory offers some concepts that are accurate. I do not dispute evolution entirely but I am convinced it entirely fails as an explanation of the origin of life.

Swampwalker, you have demonstrated a studious knowledge of the subject and a far greater understanding than many I have encountered so I'll pose a some questions to you.

How long is the accepted average time period of evolution from one genus to another?

Is such an evolution expected to vary in the time it takes to occur depending on the complexity of the genus?

How many different genera have been identified?

Are we done with kingdoms are can we expect more, evolutionary-wise?

How does the math work? Starting with the first organism to man with an average time for each genus to evolve, can they really fit everything into a timeline?

What about the dinosaurs? Science tells us they lived from 66 million years ago to 231 million years ago. What other genera existed at that time? Which of those exist today? Why do you suppose no creatures the size of the large dinosaurs have evolved since they died out?

Is the occurrence of evolutionary events strictly sequential or concurrent? If concurrent, then wouldn't the chances of a new evolutionary event increase exponentially over time and the number of genera increase? Thus shouldn't we expect to see something actually evolve? What is man expected to evolve into? Is a new genus expected to evolve from just man? In other words, does a new genus evolve from one genus or two genera?

Here is another problem that bothers me. In order for most genera to procreate, a male and a female need to join to produce an offspring. Should said offspring be a new genus, there would have to be a male and a female, also able to procreate. The genders would therefore either have to come from the same parents or different parents. If they come from different parents then another pair would need to procreate to generate a genetic combination compatible to the first and of the opposite gender within a time frame and geographic proximity so the two evolved mates can also procreate.

In order for the above to happen successfully, it would seem hundreds, if not thousands, of failures would also need to happen. Somehow this seems a bit of a stretch to me. Also, if someone could explain how any of this could actually happen, such a scenario would seem to dictate that every single genus is derived some one or two sets of parents... interesting. It would also suggest every set of parents would likely be capable of producing a new genus. It would seem this would be absolutely necessary for an evolutionary system to thrive. Again, as the population of any one genus increases, so would the chance of such an evolutionary event occurring increase.

Maybe someone can enlighten me about all of this as I simply cannot seem to get past some of these nagging ideas. Maybe if I just had faith in the scientists (who we all know are never wrong) or could embrace the magical soup from which we all evolved?

God bless

Originally Posted By: fw707What's your take on "preterists" and "full preterists", and their assertion that the second coming has already occurred-in 2 different ways?
Maybe just more cults by your definition?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

And 7 of the common "rationalizations" are listed here:

https://blacknonbelievers.wordpress.com/jesus-failed-prophecy-about-his-return/

Rationalization #7: Maybe in our human understanding we don’t know what Jesus meant when he said “this general would not pass away” and that “some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom”. He couldn’t have meant he was coming in the first century because he hasn’t come back yet and that would make him a false prophet.
"This rationalization is nothing more than interpreting the Bible by a doctrine you want to be true. If you’re going to believe in the Jesus of the Bible, shouldn’t you base your doctrines on what the Bible actually says? It is self-deceit to look at Jesus’ “prophecy” detailing his return in the lifetime of his disciples and rationalize why it didn’t happen. Only a mind interested in maintaining the illusion of faith could twist and mangle the plain words of the Bible the way Christians have in an attempt to make the incredible credible. An honest mind looking at the facts would have no choice but to admit that Jesus’ prophecy of the end of days has failed to come true."

All I see is a failed prophecy by Jesus himself, and failed attempts to defend it.
Just more of the jumbled up and man-made mess.

My views parallel the mainstream interpretation of the bible so I do not see the bible as being a jumbled up man made mess. Everything is interconnected and the different sections of the bible all point in the same direction to me. If I had been taught that the proper interpretation of the bible were the views on predestination and that God came again in the first century (preterists), then my opinion of the bible would be a jumbled up man made mess.

Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: fw707What's your take on "preterists" and "full preterists", and their assertion that the second coming has already occurred-in 2 different ways?
Maybe just more cults by your definition?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

And 7 of the common "rationalizations" are listed here:

https://blacknonbelievers.wordpress.com/jesus-failed-prophecy-about-his-return/

Rationalization #7: Maybe in our human understanding we don’t know what Jesus meant when he said “this general would not pass away” and that “some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom”. He couldn’t have meant he was coming in the first century because he hasn’t come back yet and that would make him a false prophet.
"This rationalization is nothing more than interpreting the Bible by a doctrine you want to be true. If you’re going to believe in the Jesus of the Bible, shouldn’t you base your doctrines on what the Bible actually says? It is self-deceit to look at Jesus’ “prophecy” detailing his return in the lifetime of his disciples and rationalize why it didn’t happen. Only a mind interested in maintaining the illusion of faith could twist and mangle the plain words of the Bible the way Christians have in an attempt to make the incredible credible. An honest mind looking at the facts would have no choice but to admit that Jesus’ prophecy of the end of days has failed to come true."

All I see is a failed prophecy by Jesus himself, and failed attempts to defend it.
Just more of the jumbled up and man-made mess.

My views parallel the mainstream interpretation of the bible so I do not see the bible as being a jumbled up man made mess. Everything is interconnected and the different sections of the bible all point in the same direction to me.

Mainstream?
Mainstream is nothing but a subjective opinion-at best.
How does anybody differentiate between mainstream and cult when the subject is based only on fantasy and imagination, without a shred of evidence to even support the existence of the subject?
How do you even establish objective guidelines?

Originally Posted By: Fursniper
If I had been taught that the proper interpretation of the bible were the views on predestination and that God came again in the first century (preterists), then my opinion of the bible would be a jumbled up man made mess.

You may actually believe that, but the evidence against that statement is overwhelming.
If you had been taught the predestination or preterist doctrines were correct, there’s about a 99% chance you would have accepted either of them as mainstream and defended them.

And you could just as easily be following Buddhism, Hinduism, or Islam, depending only on where you were born and what you were taught.

Originally Posted By: fw707
Mainstream?
How does anybody differentiate between mainstream and cult when the subject is based only on fantasy and imagination, without a shred of evidence to even support the existence of the subject?

If I had been taught that the proper interpretation of the bible were the views on predestination and that God came again in the first century (preterists), then my opinion of the bible would be a jumbled up man made mess.

You may actually believe that, but the evidence against that statement is overwhelming.
If you had been taught the predestination or preterist doctrines were correct, there’s about a 99% chance you would have accepted either of them as mainstream and defended them.

And you could just as easily be following Buddhism, Hinduism, or Islam, depending only on where you were born and what you were taught.

So, where is your evidence?

Originally Posted By: seeknulfindFrom what I can see, there are at least two topics here lately that have nothing to do with the OT - “predestination” and “evolution”. Note, I am just saying these two deserve their own threads. That said, I'll chime in a bit on both.

On predestination, it seems to me that a) yes, there is scriptural basis for this concept and b) we have little understanding of it.

Before I delve into any of my own ideas about the scriptural aspects, bear with me while I venture a bit into the secular, science fiction treatment. (Note, I have yet to see any actual science here save some theories such as quantum theory that speculate about the possibilities.) Is not predestination and time travel somewhat related? Science fiction often grapples with the paradox that should someone travel back in time, could they then affect events to the point where they, themselves, would cease to exist? Is not the concept of parallel universes at least loosely based on the idea that different events cause different results? Both concepts tend to lend credence to the idea of some sort of “set” time line. This does not prove nor disprove any notions of predestination but it does provide some food for thought.

How many of us have thought “If I had to do THAT all over again!” or “If I only knew then what I know now...”? Looking back on my own life and some of the decisions I have made, while I might have acted differently with different information, I'd say if I COULD go back, I would do everything exactly the same. Why? I would be acting on the same knowledge. Only a change of information/circumstances would allow for a change in outcome. My point being is we all make choices not through some mystical concept of this is the path I must follow but based on the information we have. Most of us make rational choices most of the time and those choices are based on what we know.

Now... back to “predestination”. The idea, as presented here, suggests that no matter what I do, the outcome will be the same. This is so very illogical. Suppose you are traveling north and come to a "T". Turn left and you head to California. Turn right and you head to New York. Do you really think you'll end up in the same place no matter what decision you make here? Of course not, well, most of you anyway ;-). What direction you take depends on where you want go and that decision is based on much of what has happened to you and where you are right now in your life. Much depends on decisions you made earlier in life. Yes, circumstances and decisions others made come into play. However nothing, absolutely nothing, will prevent you from turning in one direction or the other under normal circumstances. (This statement precludes the idea the there is a major accident or some other extenuating circumstance blocking one's path.) So, one indeed has the free will to make choices that determine the direction of one's life. Now, let me ask you...

If you skip to the end of a book, does that change how it ends? Does it change what happens from the first page to the last? All but the most cantankerous will recognize these questions as rhetorical. Thus I suggest that a superior being (evolution) could possibly see forward in time (quantum theory) and “know how the book ends”. For those of you who love to dismiss such ideas as “superstition” and “magic' (neither of which I myself believe in, by the way), I've added secular scientific theories that one would have to deny in order to refute my supposition.

So “predestination”, does not have have to mean our lives are written in stone but the choices we will freely make are already known. This satisfies both scripture and logic for me.

As far as the theory of evolution is concerned I'll start with two notes. First, it is called the “theory” of evolution for a reason and that reason is, it has yet to be elevated to the status of scientific law. Second, even so, said theory offers some concepts that are accurate. I do not dispute evolution entirely but I am convinced it entirely fails as an explanation of the origin of life.

Swampwalker, you have demonstrated a studious knowledge of the subject and a far greater understanding than many I have encountered so I'll pose a some questions to you.

How long is the accepted average time period of evolution from one genus to another?

Is such an evolution expected to vary in the time it takes to occur depending on the complexity of the genus?

How many different genera have been identified?

Are we done with kingdoms are can we expect more, evolutionary-wise?

How does the math work? Starting with the first organism to man with an average time for each genus to evolve, can they really fit everything into a timeline?

What about the dinosaurs? Science tells us they lived from 66 million years ago to 231 million years ago. What other genera existed at that time? Which of those exist today? Why do you suppose no creatures the size of the large dinosaurs have evolved since they died out?

Is the occurrence of evolutionary events strictly sequential or concurrent? If concurrent, then wouldn't the chances of a new evolutionary event increase exponentially over time and the number of genera increase? Thus shouldn't we expect to see something actually evolve? What is man expected to evolve into? Is a new genus expected to evolve from just man? In other words, does a new genus evolve from one genus or two genera?

Here is another problem that bothers me. In order for most genera to procreate, a male and a female need to join to produce an offspring. Should said offspring be a new genus, there would have to be a male and a female, also able to procreate. The genders would therefore either have to come from the same parents or different parents. If they come from different parents then another pair would need to procreate to generate a genetic combination compatible to the first and of the opposite gender within a time frame and geographic proximity so the two evolved mates can also procreate.

In order for the above to happen successfully, it would seem hundreds, if not thousands, of failures would also need to happen. Somehow this seems a bit of a stretch to me. Also, if someone could explain how any of this could actually happen, such a scenario would seem to dictate that every single genus is derived some one or two sets of parents... interesting. It would also suggest every set of parents would likely be capable of producing a new genus. It would seem this would be absolutely necessary for an evolutionary system to thrive. Again, as the population of any one genus increases, so would the chance of such an evolutionary event occurring increase.

Maybe someone can enlighten me about all of this as I simply cannot seem to get past some of these nagging ideas. Maybe if I just had faith in the scientists (who we all know are never wrong) or could embrace the magical soup from which we all evolved?

God bless

The fact that those questions nag you, but these questions don't, nags me.

1) how does an old guy round up 2 of Every animal on earth, when any one of us can spend weeks just trying to catch one deer? Would both animals survive a year at sea? Especially in a boat of that time period?

2) how did mastodons, Nile crocodiles, penguins, brontosaurus, bald eagles and turkeys all end up in the same place? How did they all get along for their year long cruise? what did they all eat!?

3) how did the old guy build a ship of wood larger then a Nimitz class aircraft carrier? Is wood really strong enough to support such a large vessel?

4) are witches really made of wood and do they float??

Just couple things to think about..

Originally Posted By: fw707If you had been taught the predestination or preterist doctrines were correct, there’s about a 99% chance you would have accepted either of them as mainstream and defended them.
I'm wondering if you were fed this stuff as a youngster fw. If so, is that why you are so rebellious about God today? If not, how did you discover these doctrines as an atheist?

Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: fw707
Mainstream?

So, where is your evidence?

Sorry,
The 99% was figurative, not literal-like a lot of figurative biblical scriptures.
80+ percent of children follow parental religious choices...

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2013/august-web-only/religion-runs-in-family.html

79.8 % Hindus in India

95 % Shinto/Buddhist in Japan (and 1% Christian)

85-95% Sunni in Saudi Arabia
10-15% Shia. “ “ “

Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: fw707If you had been taught the predestination or preterist doctrines were correct, there’s about a 99% chance you would have accepted either of them as mainstream and defended them.
I'm wondering if you were fed this stuff as a youngster fw. If so, is that why you are so rebellious about God today? If not, how did you discover these doctrines as an atheist?

1. No
2. I see no evidence of any god. I’m waiting on evidence supporting the assertions you and others here make about a god that you know personally. It really is that simple.
(a) I read books.
(b) I’m waiting on your evidence, so that would disqualify me as an atheist.

Originally Posted By: swampwalkerhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

Unfortunately, this scene is actually based off a true story. Fw, just take pride in the fact, that if you lived back then, you'd be in one them cottages shaking your head to yourself, looking out the window.

Yeah, it’s funny!
But it’s also sad because it actually happened thousands of times.
John Cleese sure was outspoken about his opinions on religion.
grin.gif

Yeah, then there's that one time, where they made a God out the innocent person they murdered, because of the belief in God. Irony at its best right there...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: swampwalkerYeah, then there's that one time, where they made a God out the innocent person they murdered, because of the belief in God. Irony at its best right there...

Yeah, and the weird part about that is there doesn’t appear to be anything recorded about it in any historical record when it actually occurred.

Weird.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: fw707If you had been taught the predestination or preterist doctrines were correct, there’s about a 99% chance you would have accepted either of them as mainstream and defended them.

1. No
2. I see no evidence of any god. I’m waiting on evidence supporting the assertions you and others here make about a god that you know personally. It really is that simple.
(a) I read books.

Let me try to explain the evidence using this example.

A poacher shoots a deer out of season. There are 10 witnesses that see it happen. Several of the witnesses approach the suspect. They see the deer in the back of his truck and talk to the suspect about it. The suspect is their boss at work who has been revocated for game law violations in the past. The witnesses fear retaliation at work so they don't report the violation until 6 months later. By this time, the deer has been consumed and all the evidence at the kill site has been erased by weather. LEO's cannot find any tangible physical evidence that a deer has been killed. All the investigators have are statements from 10 eye witnesses which are very compelling. The case is lost in court because there is no tangible physical evidence to prove that a deer was killed.

Does this mean that a deer was never killed? No

To believe that there is no God is like believing every poacher who beat the legal system never killed anything.

The evidence to show the existence of God is similar to this example. There were thousands of eye witnesses who interacted with Jesus, but the tangible physical evidence has been erased over time. This does not mean God never happened.

Circumstantial evidence available today would be the year on our calendar which is based on the death of Jesus. When considering how enormous an event would have to be to reset the world calendar to the year one again, the impact Jesus had on earth must have been astronomical.

Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: fw707If you had been taught the predestination or preterist doctrines were correct, there’s about a 99% chance you would have accepted either of them as mainstream and defended them.

1. No
(a) I read books.

Let me try to explain the evidence using this example.

A poacher shoots a deer out of season. There are 10 witnesses that see it happen. Several of the witnesses approach the suspect. They see the deer in the back of his truck and talk to the suspect about it. The suspect is their boss at work who has been revocated for game law violations in the past. The witnesses fear retaliation at work so they don't report the violation until 6 months later. By this time, the deer has been consumed and all the evidence at the kill site has been erased by weather. LEO's cannot find any tangible physical evidence that a deer has been killed. All the investigators have are statements from 10 eye witnesses which are very compelling. The case is lost in court because there is no tangible physical evidence to prove that a deer was killed.

This does mean that a deer was never killed? No

To believe that there is no God is like believing every poacher who beat the legal system never killed anything.

The evidence to show the existence of God is similar to this example. There were thousands of eye witnesses who interacted with Jesus, but the tangible physical evidence has been erased over time. This does not mean God never happened.

I like that example.

Twelve reasonable people returned a unanimous verdict because they had absolutely no evidence to believe otherwise.

thumbup1.gif

The Bible was written a couple hundred years after all this went down. Be like me writing a factual story about the life events of Benjamin franklin. On top of that, you have to look at your witnesses. I wouldn't put much stock into them sheep killing weirdos back then..

Don't you find it just a tad bit strange that all kinds miracles happened on the daily basis back then? I mean, possessed pigs, walking dead people, walking on water, huge bodies of water splitting apart, talking animals.. the list really goes on..

Eerily though, since we actually discovered how the world actually works, none of this happens anymore? Hmmm...coincidence?

Originally Posted By: swampwalker

Don't you find it just a tad bit strange that all kinds miracles happened on the daily basis back then? I mean, possessed pigs, walking dead people, walking on water, huge bodies of water splitting apart, talking animals.. the list really goes on..

I wonder if any historical record outside the Bible says that any of it even occurred?

Originally Posted By: fw707I like that example.

Twelve reasonable people returned a unanimous verdict because they had absolutely no evidence to believe otherwise.

Before the verdict, a hair was observed sticking out from behind the license plate of the poachers truck in the courthouse parking lot. Officers got a warrant and recovered the blood and hair from behind the license plate. Case pending for crime lab analysis (second coming of God).....

Back