I use an AR10- Chambered in .308 to kill Coyotes

where did the 308 shootin, dog killin guy go? blew up the board one day and blew out of town the next. maybe he fell in one of those den holes and cant get out. send a search party.

I am not a fan of crazy talk.

KC, if you enjoy hunting coyote then you need to have respect for the coyote. Some of the things you have said are out of line in my opinion and make me very sceptical of your intentions.

hope I'am wrong

My apologies..... I recognize that I need to tone down my enthusiasm and 'crazy talk'. I logged into the forum late at night and may have had an adult beverage or two and my enthusiasm got the better of me.

I have been aiming center mass, but only because I am inexperienced and I'm afraid I might miss. Honestly.....they die almost instantly even with a gut shot. The land owners of the properties I hunt have no love for coyotes, so I suppose my tone reflects their feelings.

Last edited:
You are on a website full of people that understand and appreciate how difficult a coyote can be to consistently hunt and kill. A coyote is just a coyote, they do what they are programmed to do. They are incredibly adaptable and first class survivalists. Coyotes don't share human emotions with us and cannot process and reason out the things they do like a human can. You do have the abilities to do better than the coyote and making a clean kill is something a responsible hunter should always try to do. My take on it for what it's worth.

Originally Posted By: GCYou are on a website full of people that understand and appreciate how difficult a coyote can be to consistently hunt and kill. A coyote is just a coyote, they do what they are programmed to do. They are incredibly adaptable and first class survivalists. Coyotes don't share human emotions with us and cannot process and reason out the things they do like a human can. You do have the abilities to do better than the coyote and making a clean kill is something a responsible hunter should always try to do. My take on it for what it's worth.

gc...i do apologize. I work my day job.. and keep my nose to the grindstone. My release this is friday night when I log into the internet and sometimes I go off the rail a bit. I say things that effect the purists, because I am new....I get that. I am here to learn from all of you and I have a lot of respect for you all. In real life, I am a sales guy, and if I told people I "harvested" coyote for sport..............they'd say......."no way". I wear a shirt and tie.... mon-fri....LOL I'm pretty sure im not the normal coyote hunter....but I am in spirit. Every time I don't get one, it makes me me want to go back out to get one..........even more!!!!!

tomorrow is saturday.......I'm pretty sure...I will drive 60 miles south....just for the opportunity. they know me though, and I crack them up.....my regular hunting vehicle is a totally murdered out black dodge challenger....with guns in the trunk. LOL The land owners know me, but sometimes they have friends over, and they have things to say.......all fun!!

Thats how I roll.......LOL

Last edited:
KC, welcome aboard. Looking forward to hearing your success stories as they unfold.

As to terminology on the forums, we all seem to have our own, but also tend to keep it within certain commonly accepted boundaries. As long as it doesn't get too far out there, most don't seem to mind. I don't use the word "harvested" and most others I see on here don't either, but I know what it means and don't give it a second thought. Same for the word "dog" when referring to coyotes. I don't call then dogs but am not offended or upset if someone else does.

You mentioned the word "purists." There are some members like that here (and in other forums) that will call your hand quickly for a word misspoken, and then there are the "overkill" purists who can't seem to grasp the concept that we aren't all from the same mold, or that freedom allows for individual differences and preferences. However, most of us have boundary lines drawn in our conscience of what we consider appropriate or not, and I think most members pretty much stay within the confines of a commonly held thought. The purists have a more narrow boundary, and as such offers more criticism.

As a rule of thumb, most guys are turned off by very graphic photos or explicit details that might involve gore, carnage and a basic disrespect for the animal hunted. If someone talks loosely about using an elephant gun to blow bits and pieces across the landscape, splattering blood along the way, then in the eyes of the majority they have gone way too far. Not only that, but posting such stories and photos gives us a black eye as a group in the face of the public. Describing an entry or exit wound is something most of us want to know in gaining an understanding of calibers and bullet performance, but that subject needs to be handled with tact.

When you get some good photos, be sure to post them up, along with the story. Good hunting.

Purist ha. I was trying to give him an example but it's obvious he doesn't care. Go ahead and make a mockery of predator hunting. Post all the GD pictures of blood and guts you want. You can send them directly to peta for all I care. Before long you'll be running them down in your new Dodge Ram 4X4 or a Snowmobile anyway. So if all you want to do is kill dogs, take up prairie dog hunting. That way you can tell everyone at the office how you killed a bunch of dogs this weekend.

Originally Posted By: azpredatorhunterPurist ha. I was trying to give him an example but it's obvious he doesn't care. Go ahead and make a mockery of predator hunting. Post all the GD pictures of blood and guts you want. You can send them directly to peta for all I care. Before long you'll be running them down in your new Dodge Ram 4X4 or a Snowmobile anyway. So if all you want to do is kill dogs, take up prairie dog hunting. That way you can tell everyone at the office how you killed a bunch of dogs this weekend.

Maybe I have missed something in this thread. I re-read it again to be sure. Arizona, I didn't come away with the impression KC doesn't care. I did see him apologize more than once for anything he said that offended. He didn't post graphic photos or any photos at all, and had the decency not to since he questioned if it was appropriate as well as acknowledging PM rules about such things.

Center shooting coyotes isn't something we predator hunters try to do, but a newbe to hunting might possibly rationalize it as OK, especially with a 308. Seasoned hunters know better. Everyone has a learning curve. I had and I'm sure you had too.

One time I rented a car to drive to Georgia for a hog hunt - a slick black Dodge Charger. It never entered my mind to run down hogs with it, and I'm pretty sure KC hasn't considered running down anything with his.

I personally think you are over the top on this. As a matter of fact, I see more offensive language in what you just said than anything KC said. I especially don't like GD, knowing what you mean. It's not good to take the Lord God Almighty's name in vain.

6mm06, your right and I apologize if I offended anyone. I didn't intend to start a pissing match with KC or anyone else. I tend to speak my mind sometimes without giving it much thought. I also didn't come here to fight or pick on anyone but when I see someone posting questionable phots and making threads about killing dogs... I am sorry but I can't help myself.

PS. look at his thread " sunny and 90 " there you will find the picture he allegedly never posted. Third post down.

No hard feelings KC I was out of line... a little.

I look forward to getting to know you all. Bear with the new guy.... I'm very green..I don't mind the jabs. This comes with the territory of being the FNG.

When it comes to coyotes and pigs lets say, there is the attitude of kill them by any means possible. I didn't realize there is a an ethical shot for these animals. I watch a lot of the youtube channels...... shooting fully auto from helicopters or whatever means seems acceptable. I haven't zero'd my rifle in awhile... I need to do so to get more comfortable and have more confidence.

I slept in a bit today, played a mid day round of golf in 90s degree heat and it was slow.... no coyote hunting for me this evening. Chilling in the AC this evening seemed like the thing to do! I may go out one workday evening this week.

After reading a couple pages here I feel very fortunate that as a kid, many years ago, my dad took the time to teach me the art of hunting. Not just killing but hunting and respect for that which we hunt. I shot targets until I could hit what I aimed for and then went small game hunting. I learned where the vitals were on a deer and to wait until I could make a good shot. When I tried to call fox and then coyote all I had to do was learn (still learning) about them and how to hunt them. I already had the basics down. For anyone lacking the basic skills there is a lot to be learned right here on this site.

I realize I look pretty bad to the regulars for my lack of proper coyote hunting etiquette! I've had a couple private conversations and will take the lessons to heart. I am brand new to this arena and hope to learn the proper ways from you all. That's why I came here and I appreciate the input.

I don't ask for a free pass.....bust my chops when it's deserved. I understand it will take plenty of time to earn respect with you all...this is understood. I hope I am up to the task.

Your all good, coyote hunting is seen by many as a blood sport cause few eat what we are killing. It's the not killing them quickly so they don't suffer part that is totally unacceptable. I have done dumb stuff to, hung them out in rows on fences, taken pics of gaping bullet holes and up close pics of spine shot coyotes still alive. Growing up I did not have the Internet to tell me how many coyotes I can hang on a fence and still have class
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Your all good, coyote hunting is seen by many as a blood sport cause few eat what we are killing. It's the not killing them quickly so they don't suffer part that is totally unacceptable. I have done dumb stuff to, hung them out in rows on fences, taken pics of gaping bullet holes and up close pics of spine shot coyotes still alive. Growing up I did not have the Internet to tell me how many coyotes I can hang on a fence and still have class
crazy.gif

Thanks jeremy... I hope to do a few sets this Labor Day weekend. My biggest handicap aside from my inexperience is my lack of set opportunities right now. I have potential for a lot of land going forward, but I am just treading water on a few properties now. I am pretty sure I am calling too much on the same properties..... the coyotes are wise to the call. I try to mix it up, but I make the best of it.

The coyote a week ago .....I was in a crowded field while baling hay........farm equipment was running....and I was standing in a field with a crowd.....there were 4 trucks and a crowd...and kids!!!!!....and this mangy dog was lurking..... the land owner was yelling at me...."shoot it"...."shoot it".....I had a rifle misfire-non fire......2 weeks prior... After that....the property owner ribbed me alot...he said if the coyote had a gun...I'd be dead. He said that a few times..LOL

Not this time...i got it. I appreciate all your input. Your photography is amazing...do you use a high end camera?

Anymore I just hunt at night with thermal. Its not the killing but I do a service for a bunch of ranchers. I love sitting out watching animals at night. Theres a rabbit over there a racoon over there and Holy Crap a mountain lion crawling in a tree over there!!! No foolin 45 yards away max. It was a thrill I will never forget. I think cougars are proliferating in Texas cause they like pork.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Originally Posted By: KC Coyote HunterI do have a couple graphic pictures of the dogs I killed, but aren't there forum rules against the blood-guts photos? As I said...I am new and I only have 2 kills so far. Both are pretty nasty blood-guts pics so I didn't share them. I can though...if this doesn't break the forum rules. Both were hit twice for good measure with 180 grain. I know overkill, but it's fun to shoot! I aim center mass not trying for vitals.... gut shot both....both stood up with probably 10 seconds to live, then I hit them again in in the boiler works and neck shot on the other.

Tuck those guts back inside and flip them over on their good side, take pics and post away. Aim for the vitals, you will inadvertently get gut shots but don't do it on purpose. If you have to have the over kill, put them down quickly first so they don't suffer. Then do a mag dump, set them on fire, drag them behind your truck or whatever else floats your boat but keep that to yourself and don't post or share it anywhere...

I agree with Jeremy and GC. Intentionally shooting for center mass without hitting vitals, is a bit off. I once had a customer complain that about the power of the 6.5 grendel. I told him that I never had a coyote take one and get up. He claimed just the opposite, that when he shot them in the guts they all got up and ran off. A little digging and I find out he INTENTIONALLY shoots them in the guts.

Look, I don't want to get high and mighty, but there are a lot of guys that hunt ethically, and take pride in what we do. Put'em down hard, put'em down clean. Are you always going to make a perfect, clean shot? No. Things happen. But there are guys who get their kicks outta shooting them and making them suffer. Same kind of guys who hang meat from hooks on fence lines. Those guys are unhinged.

The PM community is a good bunch of folks. That being said, the occasional screw ball can and will slide in. Like Jeremy and Gary said, take the best photos you can, try to show the respect for them that most of us have. What happens in the outdoors stays in the outdoors, unless you post it.

That's my humble two cents.

Mo

I appreciate the feedback. As a noob knowing I am using a larger caliber, I figured it doesn't matter. In reality, it doesn't because if you hit a coyote anywhere with a 180 grain bullet, it will do the job nearly instantly. Once again...I only do this because I fear missing! I have been hitting my mark, so it all should be good!

It's time to step-up my game!

Hey c'mon...when you are new to coyote hunting, you know how it takes a lot of sets just to see one, and when you do!! the energy/excitement is insane! that's my experience...

Last edited:
Whoa up gunslinger... First, horsepower doesn't compensate for shot placement and accuracy. Never think that a bigger gun allows for sloppy shooting. It doesn't - period. Lots of very experienced hunters will tell you stories of how tough a coyote can be. Plenty of guys have accidentally shot the intestines out of coyotes or broken back hips or spined a coyote with common big game cartridges only to see the animal drag itself off to suffer a slow death. Long tracking jobs and/or lost coyotes are the result and animals that suffer. You stated you held "center mass" to give you a margin of error rather than hold for the vital areas. The excuse of "it's just a coyote" and "it doesn't really matter" is horse manure and is a piss poor excuse to offer. Yes, it does matter to a responsible mature and respectful hunter how the animal dies. If it doesn't matter then in my opinion that's a guy that probably doesn't need to be hunting and may have some bigger issues in life.

Yes, I'm up on the high horse right now. You've been given the experience and advice of some quality men here. At first it seemed as if you were listening and evaluating the situation with improvement as your ultimate goal. Now, it seems not so much since "it doesn't really matter" is good enough. Overall a very defensive reply from you. Your sum total two coyote kills aren't giving you enough data to issue the statements you've made. Whether you tell me to screw off in your response or not will tell the old salts what they might be wondering about you. G'night, I have some brass to prep for a load project.

EDIT: Guess I should have quoted you as I see now you have edited out most of the things I commented on. So be it, you still know what was there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KC Coyote HunterI appreciate the feedback. As a noob knowing I am using a larger caliber, I figured it doesn't matter. In reality, it doesn't because if you hit a coyote anywhere with a 180 grain bullet, it will do the job nearly instantly. Once again...I only do this because I fear missing! I have been hitting my mark, so it all should be good!

It's time to step-up my game!

Hey c'mon...when you are new to coyote hunting, you know how it takes a lot of sets just to see one, and when you do!! the energy/excitement is insane! that's my experience...

the more you write the more you really show just how little you really do know about hunting.

you look very silly with some of the stuff you put in print.

Back