I need your 60 V-Max .223 loads w/H335 or Benchmark (UPDATED)

wow !! charlie that's some good shootin !! i have had good luck with benchmark also..23.1 with a 55-nosler has shot very well for me with a remmy 700..

Quote:
SodakJim - You only necksize your AR loads?? Don't you run into stuck cases? I was always under the impression that you had to use SmallBase dies when loading for autoloaders.

Not true on the dies, I have been reloading for several types of auto's for years and never used them. I full lenght resize every time for the AR's.

Only problem I have had with the Benchmark is.....it gets hot in a hurry, seems like the pressure is ok and then way to much in about 1/2 grain more powder. I cant come close to listed max in my 223 a-bolt, way to much pressure.

Last edited:
Not one feeding or extraction problem, in 1200 shots.

It's not as easy as it sounds. The neck sizing is done on fire-formed, uniformed brass with a collet type sizer that has a shoulder bump feature. The die is set to hold the headspace clearance to .001-.0015 in my chamber.
This is a dedicated die for one rifle only. The body size has not changed in 12 firings, partly due to the Tubb CS Buffer spring that I installed. The stronger spring delays the cycling of the bolt, so the pressure in the chamber drops to a lower point, before unlocking and ejecting the casing. If fired cases will not re-chamber without sticking, bumping the shoulder may not be enough to ensure reliable functioning. I won't say it will work in every AR-15, or other autoloaders. It may not work in other rifles of the same model and brand. The loads I have used have been moderate up to the published max listed for AR-15s. I have used bullets from 50-69 grains, 5 different powders, 3 different primers, 4 case brands (1 military), at temperatures from 94 degrees down to 19 degrees. Some autoloaders are very hard on cases causing dents, damaged rims, blown out cases due to excess headspace, etc. If those problems are not solved, they are not good choices for neck sizing.

My efforts are aimed at getting close to benchrest accuracy from the AR-15 type rifle. Keep in mind that if your equipment is not capable of shooting sub MOA, without neck sizing, you will likely not see what it will do to improve accuracy.

I don't know of any AR-15 that has a standard 5.56mm or Wylde chamber that requires a small-base FL resizer. Standard FL dies should be OK for an AR in good condition.

Quote:
wow !! charlie that's some good shootin !! i have had good luck with benchmark also..23.1 with a 55-nosler has shot very well for me with a remmy 700..

Thanks Dave,,,,,,,,,,But those are culled targets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Like I said "I get lucky now and then"..

I agree with you about Benchmark. It's good stuff!!!
I used to use IMR4895 in my 223's...Not any more..

Later

Back