I need ideas for a senior project.

dang thats a crazy video. The holes they hid in and the one guy even had a tunnel!
shocked.gif

Im actually still leaning towards making a predator hunting video. It would give me a reason to get a new Fox Pro and possibly get my parents to get me a video camera.
whistle.gif
It would also give me a reason to go down to the flat lands and try hunting. If I made the video then did the rest of my oral presentation on the gear used and kind of the coyotes behavior what would be a good topic to write a research paper on? Maybe just do it all on coyotes or predators for that matter.

School started today, i found out today that my mentor (person that gives me guidance and helps me) has to be from the community or at least close enough that i can get hands on help if need be and easy to talk to if i need quick help.

That means her idea of me going to Montana is out, I asked her about making a bug out bag and she just stared at me like a complete idiot. Im flat out of ideas.

Noobie, At the risk of sounding critical, what happened to your original idea of the knife making project??....You keep putting out that you are concerned about cost and rightly so, another theme I keep picking up is you want it to be easy, but your project should be somewhat difficult if you want a decent grade, as well as a learning situation for yourself..

In your original post, it sounded like the knife making would place your mentor in close proximity, taking care of that requirement...You could use a digital camera to help in the documentation for both your written and oral presentation, as well as learning some useful skills in the manufacturing process...

A bug out bag is a decent idea, but IMHO, it wouldn't be worthy of much of a grade, or really much of a learning experience for you....All you would have to do is to parrot what has already been put out by the Red Cross, Civil Defense, or anyone of the numerous survival sites on the internet...

They won't return my phone call. I called them earlier this month and just left them a message saying who I was and what my goal was. Stated that if they could help me I would cover the cost of all materials needed. Asked them to give me a call back if they were interested and I haven't heard anything. I know by now that they have gotten the message and that they aren't to busy but all I can figure is that they just dont want to or they don't like me. My dad is a city worker here In town and he has shut their water off a few times.

Quote:They won't return my phone call. I called them earlier this month and just left them a message ..It might pay to stop by in person so they can size you up...I'm not sure, if I were in their position, that I would respond to a basically cold phone call either...

It's kind of like looking for a place to hunt,,,personal contact usually works best, unless you can get a referral from someone the property owner trusts...Consider how you, or your parents, would respond if I called asking permission to do something on your property...versus stopping by in person...

I might have too, im just not sure how they take to people that uninvitedly show up. Wish my friend didnt ship to boot because hes great friends with them and would make contacting and meeting them a lot easier.

Has anyone made a Trebuchet? There has been 2 kids in past years that made catapults, one did a fantastic job and the other just barely passed but ive never seen a trebuchet. I wouldnt want to do a full size one but one about the size of me or smaller would be easy, cheap (less that $100 in lumber and other parts) and there are plans all over the net about them. not really about hunting or shooting etc but it would still be fun and it is related to engineering. Might even be able to make a modern "improvement" to it and make it better.

I like the fly rod idea. Cabelas can put you in a decent kit for not alot of money.

My senior project was named Rhonda. The "see/touch" thing I had down but I failed the written portion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: RJM Acres

I did my senior project on archery and the teacher hated it.

Small world, I did mine on archery as well. I was even allowed to bring my bow to school, it had to stay in the Principals office until my class. How times have changed huh?

Chupa

Would have friends bring their guns on the bus and keep them in their locker so they could come over to my house and go hunting after school. Try that now.

I wish i had a senior project with a name.
whistle.gif

Im still not set but I think I might just build me a nice fly tying desk. Would be fairly simple yet highly effective. Only thing stopping me from doing it is I HATE finishing wood. I can not get a nice smooth finish no matter how hard I try, The lathe is simple but big objects not on the lathe is still a mystery to me.

Might build a fly rod if i dont find any plans for a tying desk that I like, I just dont want to spend the $300 bucks on a rod blank and parts and mess something up.

Noobie, Finishing wood is fairly simple,,, It just requires the right products, application, and patience...

When I was in high school, I used to work in a furniture store and part of my job was to rebuild wood furniture that came in damaged during shipping and I used a hot lacquer kit, with other final finishes...When I got through, the owner could sell them as new, after collecting from the freight company for the damage...

Once you get a sealer applied to the raw wood, get a box of rotten stone, put some in an old T shirt, make a ball out of it, moisten it and rub the surface down smooth... It's just like using rubbing compound on a vehicle's lacquer finish after it's been painted...then apply your second coat of finish... The patience part comes in to let it thoroughly dry and cure, before rubbing it down again...and starting all over...

A lot of people try to hurry the process and that's where they run into problems...

Why not build an ecaller? Costs are way low under 50 bucks.. and you can write about sound editing, soldering and basic electronics skills..If you have an MP3 player you can download sounds for free from the internet, I have a Vellleman AMP kit I would be willing to donate, IF you decide to go this route send me a PM I might be able to scrounge up a speaker for you as well....

Last edited:
Patience with wood working is where i have none, i have all the patience needed for the lathe but with big projects putting the finish on it is where i loose attention span. It also doesnt help that my shop class doesnt have the best ventalation so even if you put a finish on a project in the very back bathroom with the door shut and you shut the door behind you dust still is able to somehow settle on EVERYTHING.

I went back on the fly fishing forum and the guys there showed me a few threads on just how easy it was to make your own fly rod. I can get a kit with everything needed except a few paintbrushes and epoxy stirring sticks for $50-$150 on up too $300 for my dream Sage Z-Axis but I think I might just build two rods. Then the second one donate to my School for the outdoor rec class OR do like a silent auction for it and donate the money to the class. Be into my project about $170 bucks half of which my parents are helping with and the other half my grandparents said they would split with me. Ive got a friend of the family that lives about 10 miles away that builds fly rods and even has the fancy rod wrappers and dryers if i want to use them.

Back