I might not be able to turkey call...

Cody M

because i have to get braces... yes the metal things like a week before turkey hunting... do any of you guys have experience with mouth calls and braces... does it screw you up at all... this is like the most important thing to me right now because i have to call for 2 guys this year and want to sound good enough to try to get one of them his first turkey...

any reply or advice will be greatly apreciated

thanks a ton guys

Cody

i got two but i would still need to mouth call once they get in closer than 70 yards...

even if you havent tried it let me know what you think...

this relly sucks!!!

are you using a diaphragm call, or something you have to wrap your lips around your teeth to use?

I played saxaphone with braces with no problem, but the first week your teeth are real sore, and the inside of your mouth is getting used to the idea of contacting metal frequently. A diaphragm call would not mess with your sore areas as much while you are "breaking in" your braces.

Good luck!

Todd, its a diaphram call

did you mean that having the braces would not mess with the call AT ALL or that after the first week it will be ok... and do you know if it will work the same or will i have to"reteach" myself on how to do it???

sorry for all the questions...just really worried about this

i know i should just kinda wait it out but you know how we get... lol

Thanks again

Solution: Get a Blind
If you cant aford one one will be apointed to you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Seriously where are you in WI? If you arent to far away you can use mine then you dont have to wory about being seen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
I didnt apply for a tag this year so it will sit in the closet all spring

Good opportunity to learn to hen yelp with just your vocal cords, maybe?

I've often stumbled across a tom earlier in the season than expected while unprepared for turkey and out specifically calling predators instead. That's probably when I picked up this useful little parlor trick, myself. Braces wouldn't be an problem with this technique, though I've never had them (but could've used them for my crooked lower jaw!)

LionHo

Cody,
You must be very, very, young. Before the big surge of diaphram calls on the market 20ish years ago there have been a gozillion turkeys called and killed with all manner of friction calls. Yes, you can close the deal under 70 yards with a friction call of one sort or another. A good box call can be used successfully. A pot & peg call such as a good soft sounding slate is top notch for this work. The simple little one hand/finger push/pull boxes are really well suited for this. While I love a good diaphram call, I'm old enough to fondly use the various friction calls in the turkey woods. I killed two gobblers last spring, both under 20 yards, and never put a diaphram in my mouth. A box and a slate did the trick.

ihave 2 slates and 2 boxes and yes they do work great but i like the mouth for getting them to stop and pop their heads up before shooting i probably shouldnt even be worrying about it... oh yeah im 15 soi dont know iguess thats young

thanks for the advice

dont they have a box call or button call that mounts onto your gun so there isnt any movement of your hand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif,and then drop the hammer on the turkey? im not a turkey hunter,,we have a thousand of them here in my front yard but i have never had the urge to hunt them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gifbut seems to me i seen a box or button call that mounts on the forearm of the shotgun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Bob

because i have to get braces... yes the metal things like a week before turkey hunting... do any of you guys have experience with mouth calls and braces... does it screw you up at all... this is like the most important thing to me right now because i have to call for 2 guys this year and want to sound good enough to try to get one of them his first turkey...

any reply or advice will be greatly apreciated

thanks a ton guys

Cody
Did you have rubber bands?

Cody,
You must be very, very, young. Before the big surge of diaphram calls on the market 20ish years ago there have been a gozillion turkeys called and killed with all manner of friction calls. Yes, you can close the deal under 70 yards with a friction call of one sort or another. A good box call can be used successfully. A pot & peg call such as a good soft sounding slate is top notch for this work. The simple little one hand/finger push/pull boxes are really well suited for this. While I love a good diaphram call, I'm old enough to fondly use the various friction calls in the turkey woods. I killed two gobblers last spring, both under 20 yards, and never put a diaphram in my mouth. A box and a slate did the trick.

Cody,

^^^^ Here's the solution Austin, I have killed quite a few turkeys with a Lynch box call, not being able to use a mouth call certainly shouldn't stop you from going turkey hunting.

Back