I lost Honor my 11 year old German Shorthaired Pointer Wednesday

sumrifle

"Honor" was always so full of energy. All Heart and Lungs. I got her as a surprise Christmas Present on Christmas morning 2002 She was 9 weeks old. I got to hunt with her 10 seasons and she was the best Bird Dog I have ever known. Unbelievable nose and so much drive. She really did live to hunt. I am so happy I got "Kaiser" two years ago so she could impart a bit of her knowledge and drive upon him. I used this photo several times on this site and others when someone was sad because their dog had died. I always titled it "Honor waves goodbye to_____" whatever the dog's name was that had passed.
Now on Wednesday November 6th 2013 I had to say goodbye to the best hunting dog ever. I buried her in the back yard next to "Stymie" my Wirehaired Dachshund. I miss you "Honor Roll" and I will never forget you. I am sad.

[url=http://s124.photobucket.com/user/sum-rifle/media/Family/DSCN1809.jpg.html t=_blank][url=http://s124.photobucket.com/user/sum-rifle/media/Family/DSCN0497-1.jpg.html t=_blank]

Last edited:
No photos from this last Sunday November 3rd but Honor, Kaiser and I Quail Hunted. They both did great and pointed several coveys. My wife though Honor was looking thin and she always has been. Being 11 years old I was not concerned. I took her in for a checkup Monday and vet felt her body behind the ribs and said she felt something possibly Liver. X-ray showed huge mass pushing intestines, colon and stomach out of the way. Monday night she said it may be growing in the spleen and she could take out the spleen and Honor could hopefully do well and be back to hunting in 2-3 weeks. Did some blood work and she spent the night in the hospital. Tuesday Ultrasound. Wednesday morning surgery. When Dr. Sheahan opened her up it was much, much worse. Honor was 54 pounds. The 4.9 pound tumor was attached to her Liver, Diaphram and Vena Cava the largest vein in your body. There was nothing that could be done and Honor died on the operating table. I was at work waiting for the call. I was hopeful because Dr. said if it was bad she would call me during the surgery. The fact I did not get a call made me hopeful. When the call came she told me "we lost her on the table" I was not done hunting with her. I was not done having her as a companion. She had many more hunts left in her. She had many years of life ahead of her. I cried and I cried. I left work an hour early and dug a hole next to Stymie. My wife and I went to pick her up at the hospital and I carried her out and drove her home. I let Kaiser and Country see her and smell her and then I buried her. I had Honor for almost 11 years. Not nearly enough. I was not done hunting with her.

I am so glad she got to hunt Sunday afternoon. She was not in any pain and had full strength and endurance. She just had a 5 pound tumor pushing stuff out of the way inside her. I am so sad over her and miss her. I can type about it but I still can't talk about it without getting choked up. Goodbye Honor Roll you were a wonderful dog and you are so loved.

This was the best tribute I've ever seen. I'm sorry to hear of you losing such a great companion, but always remember those awesome days afield with her.

As Honor waves goodbye to us, so do we to her. I hope Kaiser will carry on that torch that she lit in him.....

So sorry for your loss. Loosing a dog is something that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It sounds like you gave her an amazing life though, and she'll be waiting enthusiastically for you on the other side. God speed Honor.

I can type about Honor but it is not quite 4 days yet and I can not talk about her without crying. At Church today several people said nice things and I could not even hardly say "Thank you" The truck is loaded and Kaiser and I will be on our way in a few minutes to find a few coveys of Quail. Things will get better but I will miss her badly. Thank you for the kind words.

Well Kaiser and I hunted Sunday afternoon and I got 3 Quail. Saw a lot more and missed a few but not many shots. Property is steep and they flush early and run and fly up or down hill way faster than I can get there. Monday morning we were back at 0800 me my Pastor from Church and Kaiser. Saw one covey of 130+ birds but could not get within 120 yards of them. Tried and found some stragglers. Saw a few more small coveys and got a few birds. Not many shots. Hunted hard for 6 hours. Kaiser is doing fine. Pheasant hunt this Saturday.... Now I need to go to my Veterinarian and settle my bill for Honors care, treatment and surgery...

Sorry to hear your loss! Had a very similar thing happen w my first Brittany. Had an amazing pheasant and quail hunt and she was by far the best dog there. Even though she was 12 she could still get around like a pup. That hunt was on a Saturday. That next Tuesday I went out to feed her and my dad's Brittany and she wouldn't come out of her dog house. Then when she did come out she could barely move and was very gimpy on her back leg. I just figured she was still stoved up from the weekend hunt. But we brought her in the garage and let her stay in there just hoping it was just a twisted ankle or something. She wasn't getting any better so that Friday after school me and a buddy ran her down to the vet and they did some tests. Vet thought it was a twisted ankle because it was swollen and warm. Next day I got the call I was not hoping for.... Her body was full of cancer. And the doc said they could give her some drugs to make her comfortable but it wouldn't last long. And I immediately told him to put her down. There was no way I was gonna make her suffer. I couldn't believe how bad it hurt. I got her for my birthday when I was 5 and she died a week after my birthday when I was 17. Will never forget her and all the amazing hunts we had together. Never hunted over a dog that had such an amazing nose.

sumrifle,

Sad story to hear and as many have said, it is inevitable.

As someone told me once when I lost a beloved pet, bury it close to your Heart!

Sorry for your loss!

Tim

Tons of great memories reflected in those pictures. She was surely an amazing dog; it's a shame she had to leave you. Condolences on your loss friend. May you find many more good hunts with Kaiser in the coming years.

Thanks for sharing, I lost my lab of 13 years last year and am soon to loose his 11 yr old daughter I believe to a heart tumor that s begun to bleed. I have another 2 year old on her way up and shes learned so much from the other 2. SOrry for your loss but happy for you you that you got so many years with yours. "Truly blessed are we who walk with our best friends" Bruce.....

I am very sorry for your loss. Most, if not all of us have lost a loyal pet and I feel your pain. Nice picture tribute, remember the good times.

Tony

From The Hunt episode of The Twilight Zone-
"Some men will walk straight into [beeep] with their eyes wide open but even the devil cant fool a dog".
Sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss. It's always tough to say good-bye to our loyal friends. We lost our house dog (17 yr. old Peek-a-Poo) this yr. also, the morning before Thanksgiving. He passed in his sleep right where he would have wanted to be, snuggled up next to his Momma in the bed.

I know you will cherish Honor's memory and all the good times you shared. No doubt that she is now spending countless hours working the fields above, and will be there to greet you again when that time comes.

YB

Very sorry to hear your loss. Great looking dog. My female shorthair cocoa is 14 and was diagnosed with cancer . I got her when I was 4 and she was one of the best dogs I ever hunted with . My Male shorthair rocky is 6 years old and hopefully he will be alright when she passes. R.I.P. Honor .

Back