I have a dilemma…

hunt0168

I went out last night figuring it would be the last time for the season which ends in a couple days. I made a set where I killed a male early March and started with a lone howl and got a howl back from a few hundred yards out in a low wooded section. I let out one more lone howl and went quiet. About 5 minutes later I pick up a coyote in my scanner about 300 yards out slowly picking its way towards my downwind. It stood at 250ish for quite awhile just looking only inching more towards my downwind every once in awhile. The wind was switching from NW to W which was making things worse for me. I don’t know if it could smell my caller or traces of my scent from where it was but it started acting a bit nervous and was headed back the way it came from so I decided to try a longer shot than I have actually practiced with my new Tikka off my tripod. It stopped and I settled in and Let one fly. I missed and it headed out like a rocket.

My dilemma(s) is that I only have a couple days left. The weather isn’t supposed to be great. My wife is SO over me chasing coyotes. I should get cracking on some honey-do’s that I’ve blown off etc, etc. But I don’t want to go out at 50% with my new gun! Lol… What to do?.. what to do?

Life gets complicated at times. Help me out guys.

Personally by the end of march, honey do's are more important. Fishing is just around the corner, then it's load development and practice for next season and next thing you know it's time to hunt again. Today is the last day of javelina season, I haven't filled my tag ànd the garden needs to be cultivated, , irrigation system upgraded etc. Javelina will be there next year, carp shooting, cat fish and walleyes will start biting. So today I work in the yard, tomatoes go in next week and the irrigation system will take care of them while I'm out at the lake.

But then I have 76 seasons under my belt, could temper.my decisions a little.

Wife is more important than any coyote
Just a little background… My wife and I just celebrated our 40th year together, so I know all about how 2 way streets work! Lol… We’re both 55 yrs old, so you can run the math on that one.

My love of the outdoors and hunting has been there for all of those 40 years and she has always gone out of her way to be supportive and understanding of this. However, it comes with the understanding that no matter how much she supports it, she reserves the right to grumble about it and give me the look if she so chooses! I assure you there is no reason to think a coyote or any other passion or material thing would come before her.

On a side note… She has been SO OVER my hunting this season since about the second week! Lol… We’re still married and doing fine. 😉

26 years married myself. My wife is the biggest supporter of my hunting (she is a country girl at heart). Each Christmas I get all kinds of cool stuff for hunting that she has to be doing research on to buy. That being said, when she wants me I am there. Happy wife happy life. Now here is the answer. Send her out with her friends for a girls day out with some cash in hand and go kill that coyote.

So far all you guys are practically newlyweds compared to me, just celebrated (and I mean that) 61 yrs together. I can barely remember not being married. I did get some flak when we were raising our 3 kids which were spread out 10 yrs from oldest to youngest. We agreed that I would not hunt on Saturday mornings and spend time with the kids. I would cook breakfast, which the kids loved, and then we let the kids take turns choosing activities for the day. That plan worked for us and really cut down on complaints of dad not being home when the kids were out of school. I went from a zero to a hero!

Some of you guys are killing me! Lol. Congrats to all that have supportive and understanding wives. It really is a blessing when you get a good one!

Well as it turned out, my wife gave me the green light to go one last time so long as I didn’t screw up Easter! I went and killed a coyote so I got my Tikka 243 kill stats up to 66.66% which is better than 50%!

Ah heck, if it wasn't for the wife, here is how it would be. I'd be living in a four stall two level garage with a recliner and a TV. Probably driving a Duece and Half. The yard would look like crap. I would be eating nothing but junk. Probably have all my money tied up in firearms. She keeps me level.

Back