I goofed-deer mount advice.

It's not hard to boil and clean one, just takes time and patience . I only spent a short time around beetles , they do a great job when used correctly. I could never have my own, they stink something fierce...lol

A guy that knows his stuff, does not always need a store front/shop to be good. My taxidermist works at home out of his garage/shop. He is one of the best , I've been around.

What are the turn around times for all ? Can you get pics or see some of their work first ?

Price does not always = quality.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeIt's not hard to boil and clean one, just takes time and patience . I only spent a short time around beetles , they do a great job when used correctly. I could never have my own, they stink something fierce...lol

A guy that knows his stuff, does not always need a store front/shop to be good. My taxidermist works at home out of his garage/shop. He is one of the best , I've been around.

What are the turn around times for all ? Can you get pics or see some of their work first ?

Price does not always = quality.

Tim

Beetle to bones on facebook is the one guy and MOA skulls is the other. 2 forum members sent me pics of the facebook beetle guys work and it looked good as well as MOA skulls has their work on their website. I guess what im worried about is turning over a non typical deer to a stranger. The 3yrs in business, no website, etc is kind of what is turning me off. could be a great guy but something someone just told me was big racks sell for a pretty penny so watch what i do.

My buddy has some land i might ask if he will help me with it. Have you ever power washed one after boiling? I don't think my stomach could take picking out brain matter. lol.

Facebook guys turn around is 3months he said during season and 4 weeks off season. I have emails out to the other two guys.

Last edited:
Guys thanks for helping me with this and giving me at least somewhat confidence in it. My buddy has done one and is doing his big one he shot 10min before mine this weekend in a boiler so ill watch and help him and go from there. My main concern was not getting all the meat and brains and having it stink the house up. He boils and pressure washes them so ill watch him Saturday and do mine Sunday.

Can you guys post yours up for me? Does anyone do a plaque? Im good with wood and would like a nice plaque so looks like im hitting home depot.

well now I'm pissed. I am on an Ohio forum and a taxi just messaged me saying of the skin was cut off the skull that the butcher sold the cape and I should attempt to get it back and that it will have my tag # attached to it. I would really hate to think that he told me it was skinned and not caped and sold it. I can see that phone call going south really quick!

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014Guys thanks for helping me with this and giving me at least somewhat confidence in it. My buddy has done one and is doing his big one he shot 10min before mine this weekend in a boiler so ill watch and help him and go from there. My main concern was not getting all the meat and brains and having it stink the house up. He boils and pressure washes them so ill watch him Saturday and do mine Sunday.

Can you guys post yours up for me? Does anyone do a plaque? Im good with wood and would like a nice plaque so looks like im hitting home depot.

Just did 2 deer and 2 elk in the last few days. Fresh deer head, not so fresh deer head, not so fresh elk head, and really old elk head (5 years), boiled for about 5 hours and pressure washed. Clean as a whistle. Not as bleach white as the taxidermist does, but I like them more "real" anyway.

Okay guys don't mean to beat a dead horse here but I possibly found a cape and trying to talk myself into doing it. My brother tells me just euro it and put a nice pic up there and I have the rack, story and pics that's all that matters. I keep telling myself ill never shoot another 12pt+ non typical again I need to find a cape. Now based on my pics what do you guys think about the face color? too unique to just slap another cape on it? just looking for some experienced constructive advice.

if you got the $, go for it.

having your origional cape would be cool - thats a georgeous deer, but any cape will get you a mount. ive got a 9 point i'm waiting on a nice cape to mount it on one of these years. i didnt have the loot at the time, so the rack waiting. I'll score a nice buck with a small rack one of these years
smile.gif

show the taxidermist that pic, they might be able to put some dye in the fur to get that same look, or at least close. hair club for men and all that
grin.gif

For me it is a lot easier to cape a deer than completely skin the head, so yeah if he gave you back the head completely skinned I would bet he kept the cape. From his point of view, you telling him you did not want it when you dropped it off it was just going to waste. Was still crappy for him to tell you it was gone.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneif you got the $, go for it.

having your origional cape would be cool - thats a georgeous deer, but any cape will get you a mount. ive got a 9 point i'm waiting on a nice cape to mount it on one of these years. i didnt have the loot at the time, so the rack waiting. I'll score a nice buck with a small rack one of these years
smile.gif

show the taxidermist that pic, they might be able to put some dye in the fur to get that same look, or at least close. hair club for men and all that
grin.gif

Now that's funny! I thought last night about having them dye it. My buddy whos farm i shot this on said shoot another one next year and it will be my cape instead of someone else. Next year i will put a nest egg away. This year was rough especially around now with tires, holidays, bills, truck repair and i already shot a doe the week before at $80 to butcher and then this guy. I guess it wasn't meant to be so maybe next year something nice walks in and i can take it and use its cape.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762For me it is a lot easier to cape a deer than completely skin the head, so yeah if he gave you back the head completely skinned I would bet he kept the cape. From his point of view, you telling him you did not want it when you dropped it off it was just going to waste. Was still crappy for him to tell you it was gone.

Yep, that made me lose some faith in the guy. I don't get how he skins 3 deer in an hour but oh well. My brother told me last night i have the pics, story and antlers what else matters? I always thought it was kind of dumb to mount deer cause of cost and all until i started shooting big deer.

Skin 3 deer in an hour .. Easy esp when you do it all the time. My local guy uses a winch to pull hides and its fast. I skin my own deer and most of the time they are still warm. I can skin 1 by hand in 10 mins , cold about 20. Can skin one off and cape it off the head in 40 mins or so. So A guy that does hundreds of deer a season will be faster yet.

More facts...
My local guy is a meat cutter for a living. Him and 2 other guys do deer together from Sept-Jan,
1 guy skins, 1 cuts and 1 wraps . I've stopped in to see some of the local buck guys are bringing in. While there I've watched them do 3 deer from the floor to the freezer in an hour during prime gun season.

well after much thought I decided keep it original and save some money so we spent most the day boiling, cutting, power washing and yuck!! finishing it up a little tomorrow and hopefully be done for Christmas. thanks for the advice guys. we scored him and 155'' wihout deductions for the non typical points and if he didn't break his g3 he would have had two non typical points.

Back