I am a new coyote hunter........

Originally Posted By: azpredatorhunterNow the tactical bag has my FoxPro Crossfire w/decoy and remote, extra ammunition, hand calls, facemask, gloves, a good first aid kit, skinning knife, para cord etc. What I am getting at is it makes it easier... at least for me.

Great setup AZ. When you get to one hundred posts you will have to go "minimalist".
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: azpredatorhunterHa... Size 12 if you want one.

You don't need snakeboots in Denver... maybe some ice skates lol.

I will be down your way in January.

Javelina archery hunt every year and then Coyotes once will fill our Pig tags.

We hunt a 45k acre ranch just outside of Wilcox.

Originally Posted By: azpredatorhunterNow the tactical bag has my FoxPro Crossfire w/decoy and remote, extra ammunition, hand calls, facemask, gloves, a good first aid kit, skinning knife, para cord etc. What I am getting at is it makes it easier... at least for me.

And that is the kind of info that is helpful to new hunters or hunters that want to learn. They can take it for what they want and incorporate it as they need to. But some think it's magic, and will make them automatically, mighty hunter.

You will be able to pick up lot's of excellent advice on this forum, there are guys posting from around the country, sharing what works for them, in their area.

I always suggest to a new predator hunter to go to something like a State Park and call there. If you can call those un-hunted coyotes in, you know you are making the right sounds.

Then, since you are not focused on getting a shot, you can review the stand and try to determine why the coyote came from the direction they did, and you can learn from their body language.

If I had to pick the most important step in being successful, it would be stand selection, and the wind and terrain plays a huge part in that.

Good luck.

Not one word from the KC coyote killer?
I extended the olive branch to you, and you mock me by saying "harvest" in all your oddball threads. Your a funny little man.... KC

Next time,
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...

Originally Posted By: hm1996To OP, finding and hunting near dens during mating season can be effective.

Regards,
hm

I'm going to butt into this useless thread that's been abandoned by the OP.

How close would you consider setting up to a den? I know where a few are. Is a couple hundred yards close enough, or get closer? It's tough sneaking in the brush during the icy, cold winter. Every step sounds like it's loud enough to cause an avalanche!

To AZPredatorHunter...that's a lot of stuff to carry! Ha-ha! I've dumped all the gear I can and carry a minimum. Some stands it's shotgun, rifle, couple hand calls, light on my head and rifle, and that's it. If sitting during the day I got a butt warmer that I hate carrying.

The only time it would benefit to be close to a den is during denning season. Then I would say 300-400 yards will do. They will come out that far with the right sounds like howls and pup distress.

Otherwise, during the rest of the year they roam so far it is a bit of a waste of time.

Originally Posted By: azpredatorhunterNot one word from the KC coyote killer?
I extended the olive branch to you, and you mock me by saying "harvest" in all your oddball threads. Your a funny little man.... KC

Next time,
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...

I am with you AZ!

It appears to me the KC guy has had multiple Olive Branches extended, his posts are bizarre to say the least!
At least we all now know that he drives a Charger, he has “Harvested” 1 Coyote and his son is a Pro Bowler!

Mr. P

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoThe only time it would benefit to be close to a den is during denning season. Then I would say 300-400 yards will do. They will come out that far with the right sounds like howls and pup distress.

Otherwise, during the rest of the year they roam so far it is a bit of a waste of time.

That's just it, though...I know they travel extensively in the winter. However, the den sites I've found in the winter have been LITTERED with coyote tracks, beat down like freeways. Mostly from resident packs.

Originally Posted By: azpredatorhunterWhat's up with the pictures? I don't see any water mark.

while everybody is waiting for mr. murdered out charger man to return, lets go back to the picture.

i see a photo bucket water mark on that picture and every other picture from pb. soooooo, who sees them and who don't and why? lol

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: azpredatorhunterWhat's up with the pictures? I don't see any water mark.

while everybody is waiting for mr. murdered out charger man to return, lets go back to the picture.

i see a photo bucket water mark on that picture and every other picture from pb. soooooo, who sees them and who don't and why? lol

i see them!

to the guy giving me grief for driving onto a working ranch...1-2 miles in every direction......driving in the mud will offend him...like driving on a golf course green?> sorry chump......good try....

I'm new..it is what it is...but that is a big pot of BS...... He loves me...I've already killed coyotes off his land. A farmer isn't scared by mud.........

Last edited:
I still have an expedition.... if I need mud performance...... for coyote hunting...... I can go mudding. the Dodge is my preferred mode, because it's a conservation piece, but I can go all 4WD if needed. LOL

Last edited:
Back