Hunting with a SBR

There can't be a more useless weapon, for any purpose, than a 7.5" 223 or a 10" 308. Just because you can doesn't mean you should... Just sayin'

You can use an SBR for hunting but why? What real advantage does it have over a long gun?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KennyGHmm 30 days sounds to good to be true.

I'm not familiar with the process but when I brought my ar into the shop the other day a customer who knows the guys there came in with his sbr. Said it took 31 days from the day he filed to the day he got the stamp. The online version are getting done a lot quicker. If you fill out the paperwork and mail it in it will take months.

Originally Posted By: Raven OneThere can't be a more useless weapon, for any purpose, than a 7.5" 223 or a 10" 308. Just because you can doesn't mean you should... Just sayin'

You can use an SBR for hunting but why? What real advantage does it have over a long gun?

For me it's convenience, with my can on it it's about the length of a regular rifle. Believe it or not it works well, but most shots are within 200yds. I wouldn't go lower than 10.5" personally.

If I lived in wide open country I might reconsider my rifle choice, but part of my goal hunting is to get em close.

Originally Posted By: Raven OneThere can't be a more useless weapon, for any purpose, than a 7.5" 223 or a 10" 308. Just because you can doesn't mean you should... Just sayin'

The only useless weapon is one that is out of ammo or not available for you to use.

SBR with suppressor is the ticket for close quarter hunting and shooting in close. I use mine for calling most of the time anymore.
Only take long gun if I know I will have to be shooting over 200 yards. Then if hunting with partner I still take the SBR and let him take care of any long shots that rarely happen.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Redleg84Originally Posted By: Raven OneThere can't be a more useless weapon, for any purpose, than a 7.5" 223 or a 10" 308. Just because you can doesn't mean you should... Just sayin'

For me it's convenience, with my can on it it's about the length of a regular rifle. Believe it or not it works well, but most shots are within 200yds. I wouldn't go lower than 10.5" personally.

If I lived in wide open country I might reconsider my rifle choice, but part of my goal hunting is to get em close.

Exactly. We are on same page.
smile.gif

What's the real disadvantage at normal hunting ranges?

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKEROriginally Posted By: Brent Parker I am running a 12.5" .223 So far so good. I think effective range is farther than most believe.

I am also running one with suppressor with 55g hollow points for coyotes. I like to stay inside of 150 yards with it. What are you finding or what is your furthest clean kill?

I'm running a 55 NBT at 2900. I have killed several at around 275. I shoot a steel 8" plate at 400 regularly. I considerate it a 300 yard rifle.

Last edited:
For me its the thick brush and forest that makes the SBR more convenient. Also less weight, but I am chambered in 300BLKOUT

Supers in 300BLKOUT are H$LL on yotes also. I load subs for the kids to shoot steel with. Zero noise and very kid friendly.

Oh trust me, there are lots of "more useless" weapons out there than an SBR yet people seem to own,love and shoot them too. Mine are short, light and easy to handle in close quarters. I could not imagine trying to shoot a 26-30" heavy barrel varmint rifle in the areas I hunt. "Just Sayin'"
tt2.gif

I only use SBRs, they are great. easy and light to maneuver around in brush and trees.
I use mainly an 11.5" upper with AAC suppressor in 5.56.
Ammo i use:
5.56 Hornady TAP 62r soft point barrier and 5.56 Hornady 75gr TAP T2 JHP.
*note: I use the 5.56 NOT .223. they come in both but the 5.56 is about 200fps faster out of an SBR.

Check out Hornady LE website for ballistics and stuff, they show the velocities of all their rounds out of all different barrel lengths.

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/

Originally Posted By: jcs271Oh trust me, there are lots of "more useless" weapons out there than an SBR yet people seem to own,love and shoot them too. Mine are short, light and easy to handle in close quarters. I could not imagine trying to shoot a 26-30" heavy barrel varmint rifle in the areas I hunt.

I didn't say SBR. I described a specific set of SBR's. That being said, photos are worth a thousand words... You know, the kind you take with your game and the rifle you harvested it with.

cigar-smiley.gif

Last edited:
Back