Hunting Coyotes at night w/o artificial lights

Strongbowman - My illuminated scope is a Mueller 4-16X50 with the Sport Dot. Got it through Midway for about $219 or so. Haven't really had it long enough to call it good, bad, or in between. Seemed good from the bench in the daylight but I haven't tried it at night yet.

+1 on being able to hunt near town even when there is no moon. I live in a heavily populated area and use the city lights all the time. Coyotes are almost completely nocturnal around here. When I stay close to home I almost never head out until 10:00pm. The last one I shot at night was three miles from my house in a friends back yard that butts up to a forest preserve. It was just like being there at early dawn.

Thanks,perch wondered when a person would have his best luck at night; of course given when the moon is up dictates this a bunch. When do some of the rest of you have your best luck at Night? Also found the North Mo Coyote Contest. Bethany is about 30 miles from my place, can't bet that. See some of you guys there maybe.

I never head out till after mid night thats when the moon starts to become its brightest,"high in the sky" you must be even more careful with your approach to your hunting areas coyotes are awake and on the move and their senses are on full late night is way quieter than daytime so they can hear your vehicle, footsteps and doors closing all that much better take the extra time and walk from farther away I have found that makes a HUGE diff.

Wow, this is a good thread. Some great info on night hunting that is not normally mentioned.

I have had access to some land about 2mi outside city limits and have been considering how to hunt it. It makes alot of sense to me that coyotes near humans would be more nocturnal. Looks like I will have to sit under that Oak tree in the middle of the field with a shotgun...at night!!!!

Back