HUGE PULSAR THERMAL SALE!

Tom, have a XD19a and have been very satisfied with it. Looking to just make one step up possibly. Don't really need the recording function and looks like the Quantum XQ23 & 30 are the Helion with out the extra bells and whistles. Worried about losing FOV for magnification. Are either of these 2 a step up, better clarity, just as good FOV, etc.? Looks like FOV is decreased especially on the 30 of course, with more magnification.

Dang I wish I would have got on here a couple days ago. Looking to buy a thermal monocular and looks like I missed saving a lot of money. I always miss good sales.

I believe the Helions have a convex (aspheric style) lens whereas the quantum lites have a flat lens. I've read the convex lens have better clarity and, with the heatsink cooling feature, do not get the ghosting/halo of images.

Also, the Helions are IPX7 rated so you could drop them in a stream and still be ok.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JmoDang I wish I would have got on here a couple days ago. Looking to buy a thermal monocular and looks like I missed saving a lot of money. I always miss good sales.

Sent you a PM...

Originally Posted By: JerdoggerSo to have a unit to use for double duty which do
you recommend??

I'm new to this; but, from my research Pulsar is the way to go for value. If your into recording your hunts with audio and/or rechargeable battery packs... then, the trail models are the way to go. I'm pondering the tail xq30... for 200-250 and in coyote hunting.
Best Regards and God Bless, Col

Originally Posted By: JerdoggerSo to have a unit to use for double duty which do
you recommend?? By double duty do you mean scanning and shooting, or what are you asking? Most of the larger thermal scopes aren't the best scanners unless you stand and use a tripod and then it still is a pain to be looking through your gun scope for an entire stand, or some will use an external monitor and share their scope screen as they rotate it left and right (an option for Pulsar Trail and ATN Thor4). I don't love either solution but it can work. If you are simply asking for a smaller thermal rifle scope that can also be used as a scanner by using a QD style mount, I would recommend either a Pulsar Core RXQ30 (no longer made but you might find one used) or the Flir PTS233. Both are small enough they could potentially be used as a scanner. There are some that will mount it and try to shoot on the same stand. For hogs, it might work, but I don't want to be messing with a scope trying to mount it with coyotes coming to the call. Too much movement, and you may get it on the wrong slot, etc.

For the thermal hunter who hunts a lot, they will most likely end up with a thermal monocular either handheld or helmet mounted. I use a selfie stick on my thermal monocular as it reduces almost all the shoulder stress.

Originally Posted By: NightmareOneIf you don't want on-board recording and/or battery packs, then there's the Apex line.

I have the Apex XQ38 and record just fine with a mini DVR recorder attached. Also have an external battery pack that I place in my pocket. It works fine.

Kirsch yes was asking about scanning with the unit then attaching. My thoughts are to purchase a
dedicated NV scope with a thermal unit that I can use to scan with but also attach to a rifle.
As of now I use red led hunting lights. I quickly found you need two gun mounted and hand held. After ten minutes of scanning the weapon with only one light i thought this is stupid.
But it would be nice to be able to have something I can attach to another rifle if I have someone that would like to hunt. I can't see spending $2000 on something that can't detect a coyote at 300 I know I would be disappointed

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Originally Posted By: NightmareOneIf you don't want on-board recording and/or battery packs, then there's the Apex line.

I have the Apex XQ38 and record just fine with a mini DVR recorder attached. Also have an external battery pack that I place in my pocket. It works fine.

Do you get sound that way too, or do you have to record it separately? I was mostly referring to all-in-one ready to go, right out-of-the-box, package in my post... and like I said, I am new to this; just trying to figure out what we "need" for our night season.
As a side note, I suppose a guy could save some going with the Apex and then adding recording and battery pack as you can...

Originally Posted By: JerdoggerKirsch yes was asking about scanning with the unit then attaching. My thoughts are to purchase a
dedicated NV scope with a thermal unit that I can use to scan with but also attach to a rifle.
As of now I use red led hunting lights. I quickly found you need two gun mounted and hand held. After ten minutes of scanning the weapon with only one light i thought this is stupid.
But it would be nice to be able to have something I can attach to another rifle if I have someone that would like to hunt. I can't see spending $2000 on something that can't detect a coyote at 300 I know I would be disappointed

From what I've read the 384 xq units should detect at 300... And, I don't know for sure, but, I would guess the 640 xp units would do better?
I'm personally thinking detection at 300 should be fine, as I'll be calling. And, hopefully they won't circle that far out with the cover of darkness to embolden them.
How far can you detect with the lights? Do you see the yotes being on edge like daytime, or are they more at easy like I'm figuring?

With lights I get eye reflection well beyond 300 yards.
My longest kill was 276. But I hunt in Maine mostly from December to may. So there is almost always snow which really helps when shooting.if there is no snow identification drops down alot without the white background.200 yards probably

Originally Posted By: JerdoggerI'm leaning heavy towards the pulsar apex xq50

That should give you better id'ing (higher native magnification= 2.7x v 2.1x or 1.6x). But, from what I understand, the sensor would be the same for all the xq units... so detection of a coyote size heat source would still be 300ish, if I'm not mistaken.

I have an XQ 50 trail and a apex 38 and can detect coyote at a half mile or better with the 50 and prolly 500 yards or a little more with the apex on a good night. Can’t ID at that distance but pick up heat in some beanstubble fields with known distance last night. Don’t know about the xp yet a buddy of mine just got one gonna hunt with him some later this month will know more then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NightmareOneOriginally Posted By: 6mm06

Do you get sound that way too, or do you have to record it separately? I was mostly referring to all-in-one ready to go, right out-of-the-box, package in my post... and like I said, I am new to this; just trying to figure out what we "need" for our night season.
As a side note, I suppose a guy could save some going with the Apex and then adding recording and battery pack as you can...

Nightmare, yes, the DVR I have records sound too. The unit cost slightly over $100. I have it mounted to the left side picatinny on the XQ38. Most of my shooting doesn't involve leaving the unit on for extended periods, so lots of times I use the CR123 batteries. I do have a battery pack too that easily attaches to the scope, with a cord long enough that I just place the battery in a coat or pant pocket and don't mount it to the rifle. It would add more weight and I really don't much notice it in my pocket. The Apex models are not as compact or self contained as Trail models are, but for the difference of $1,000, I don't mind the cord or DVR. If I were to go to a Trail model, it would mainly be for resolution, and in my mind the onboard battery and internal recording would be icing on the cake. For $1,000 difference, I could buy a nice suppressor or a new rifle.

Back