howa hogue 223 twist rate

http://www.bergerbullets.com/litz/TwistRuleAlt.php

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmdrag-5.1.cgi

Here call Berger when your done and show him the same respect you have me. And come on down I'll gladly show you why 50 years experience is important. You guy's really need to at least do some Googling. You are to lazy to check before you spout off.

No a 5.56 and a .223 are NOT the same round. My god that subject has been beat to death! A 5.56 is higher pressure than a .223. The 5.56 utilizes a long throat to control pressure look it up rookies. All done with this. Suggest you look for yourself. I think your dreams of accuracy shooting 55 grain bullets is as funny as you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanYeppers!!!

1-12 will handle all bullets from 40g-60g + the 64g Nosler Bonded, 63g Sierra, 64g Winchester

Someone got their wires crossed. 1-16 twist will only handle 40g bullets and some 45g Semi pointed bullets.

Here... run the numbers. I appreciate your response. A lot more professional than others on this post. It is possible that you can achieve good results depending on a lot of variables. However use the calculators out there. There are many. They all fall pretty close to the same results. The JBM calculator is spot on but, you have to have all the data on your bullet profile.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/litz/TwistRuleAlt.php

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmdrag-5.1.cgi

Last edited:
So repeatedly post the same calculators you think you are a expert, calculators are only a guideline and will be trumped by real world experience..... I have had countless 223's that will run 55-60gr bullets and the 64gr bullets listed above likely have a equal bearing surface to the 55-60gr ballistic tip bullets.

Making yourself silly quoting bergers calculator when all of their bullets up to 64gr clearly state 1:12.

So...the fact that Berger rates the 40 gr FB Varmint as a 1-15" bullet means nothing? That's quite odd. I think you need re-evaluate the claims you are making.

buybergerbullets.3dcartstores.com/22-Cal-40-Grain-Match-Grade-FB-Varmint_p_17.html

Wrong. Give them a call. And, yes the modern calculations trump the old well mine did this and his did that. As your experience grows you will learn this. That is what experience will do for you.

If you are trying to be sure.. use the Many, Many calculators out there. These calculations prevent the professional barrel buyer from a "one of" rifle". If you use the calculators you will never have to fuss. Any good bullet that works in the math will work in the field. No more I hope it will shoot well. I have heard and seen and shot plenty of "one of" rifles. Usualy the groups proclaimed are amazing data less claims.

Use the modern info not "hey I heard that" crap.

They lost, on their website, that the 40 gr FB Varmint is good for 1-15" twist. That is published on the link I posted. You incorrect with your information. Plain and simple.

No, I know I am an expert. My rifles have won enough high power matches to prove that. (That’s what living next door" and "50 years" will do for ya). Again... use the calculator. Give them a call see what they say. It will shoot them just how consistent do you want? Accuracy is relevant. Do you want M.O.A or, is 3" at 200 good enough for you? If a shooter asks me to build a $3000 AR you can bet I use the calculators. Anyone can be an expert. If you don't know don't guess or listen to "one offs". Call the bullet builders. Sure you can use a 1 in 20 if you want. The real question is what do you want consistently? It is not wise to push a bullet to the limits of its ability. Sticking to the low side will always work. In addition you will never over stabilize a bullet.

Last edited:
I guess the data posted in the Berger product pages is wrong then...heck, they even state their 64 gr FB Varmint will stabilize in a 1-12 twist.

Go ahead, post a screen shot of the calculator stating the 40 gr will not stabilize in a 1-12 twist.

So 40's are barely good in a 1:12 what does it take to shoot all those fancy 75-80-90gr bullets. How are we wrong on the info and need to call berger? It is clearly stated on bergers website? http://www.bergerbullets.com/products/varmint-bullets/ the more you talk the more ignorant you sound.

I would like to know your measuring process for your fancy calculators? You are a famous match winning rifle builder?

I just did. Can you read? You are classic I'll give you that. Those are Match grade bullets and have a long bearing surface to to length ratio. Use the JBM. Make sure you use the right data. Again, what is accurate to you? 1 in 15 in a .223 sucks with any bullet. Try it. I would call the bullet manufacturer first. By the way... there are very few .223's in 1 and 12 any more. 1 in 9 is the way to go for 35 grn to 60 grn. Groupings get bigger as the bullet gets heavier. heavy long bullets need more twist. Usually a lot more. Call up your favorite AR builder and tell them your shooting a 77 grn A Max. Enjoy the 1 in 7 barrel! Why don't you stop arguing and try using the manufacturer of the bullets OVER THE PHONE recommendations for what you have and want. I didn't make up all these calculators. I sure as [beeep] use them however. I pay little attention to salesmen or, sales propaganda.

Last edited:
Back